Champ. Plaza: Statue Arrives

OfficialDL

If the team does nothing there are complaints, if they do something it is criticized.

It's certain to be a landmark

All I ask is that it is properly named "McMullen Plaza", after our late owner, as it should be. I would prefer statues of McMullen and Stevens, but for some reason we got this metal guy... those are my only complaints.

Edited by MadDog2020

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the team does nothing there are complaints, if they do something it is criticized.

I wasnt serious earlier.

In all seriousness though, I think its pretty cool to have a plaza like this. They are starting to make the area around the arena look very nice and attracting.

Edited by overtime98

All I ask is that it is properly named "McMullen Plaza", after our late owner, as it should be. I would prefer statues of McMullen and Stevens, but for some reason we got this metal guy... those are my only complaints.

Here's one ... IF they ever decide to name the plaza McMullen Plaza, we could call the statue Big Mac. Eh? Eh?

(Disclaimer- I am a good friend of the artist) The statue is art which is subjective and each individual will have their own opinion of whether they like it or not. If you don't like it, fine, that's your view of this art. I won't argue with that.

I am amused by some who think they could do better or who think that something different should be done. If you actually think so then do it. Do what the artist did, present an idea to the Devils' management and see what happens. I am sure that if the Devils did nothing and left the place cinder blocks and pavement, the same people complaining that the art is "ugly" would complain that the plainness was ugly and why can't the Devils do something to make the plaza interesting? Do you want some statue of Stevens placed on a concourse? Not that impactful and other teams have done it. Boring.

The statue provides a focal point and enlarges the space around the arena. It will be a familiar landmark to meet friends underneath. Consider that the artist was born and raised in NJ, had season tickets since the first season and is a die hard fan. He is extremely proud that he can contribute to the new arena in such a meaningful and noticable manner to the team that I know is his passion. I bet each one of us would jump at that same opportunity. It pales in contrast to a brick. This statue is constructed in his medium and Devils' management also liked the idea. I personally think the Devils management should be commended for taking a risk and trying to create a unique visual environment. How many of you (other than DM) can say that you have spent months upon months building something for the Devils that will impact so many?

I like the statue.. You make a good point that a scaled bronze statue of someone affiliated with the team would be boring because of how over-used it is.. You also make a good point that people tend to complain about things without being constructive and putting themselves out there (like the artist did) by taking the time to brainstorm an idea and suggest something different... I also don't think it needs to be customized to the Devils with their logo. I mean the whole arena and plaza are dedicated to the Devils, so do we absolutely need this to be the same? It also leaves room for the statue to be put somewhere else in the distant future when the Devils move/build a new arena..

I think once we see it all completed when we are at the arena the general opinion of it will change.. You have to look at the big picture and I don't think it's fair to completely judge it thus far.. All I'm saying is keep an open mind until you see the whole plaza

Do you want some statue of Stevens placed on a concourse? Not that impactful and other teams have done it. Boring.

YES I DO! And I'll tell you why...because there was only one Scott Stevens and he was ours! The heart and soul of our for many years and all 3 stanley cups. The man who put fear into other teams players and the man who made teams not want to play us. That is not boring.

YES I DO! And I'll tell you why...because there was only one Scott Stevens and he was ours! The heart and soul of our for many years and all 3 stanley cups. The man who put fear into other teams players and the man who made teams not want to play us. That is not boring.

I agree he should be honored tremendously, but should we do it with a bronze statue like everyone else does? I think that is what he means by boring

I, for one, would really like to see statues of guys like Stevens and, eventually, Brodeur outside The Rock. It also wouldn't surprise me if it went against Lou's team-before-self thing to do something like that. In his eyes, retiring a number is might be enough to honor an individual. And I'd be fine with that too. But no matter what, I'd REALLY like to see something honoring Dr. McMullen. A statue or naming something after him or whatever. Something needs to be done to honor the guy who brought this team to Jersey, even if he did threaten to move it to Nashville.

And I'm gonna withhold judgement until I see it in person, but I anticipate liking Steely Dano. Even if it's ugly, it'll be OUR ugly thing.

(Disclaimer- I am a good friend of the artist) The statue is art which is subjective and each individual will have their own opinion of whether they like it or not. If you don't like it, fine, that's your view of this art. I won't argue with that.

I am amused by some who think they could do better or who think that something different should be done. If you actually think so then do it. Do what the artist did, present an idea to the Devils' management and see what happens. I am sure that if the Devils did nothing and left the place cinder blocks and pavement, the same people complaining that the art is "ugly" would complain that the plainness was ugly and why can't the Devils do something to make the plaza interesting? Do you want some statue of Stevens placed on a concourse? Not that impactful and other teams have done it. Boring.

The statue provides a focal point and enlarges the space around the arena. It will be a familiar landmark to meet friends underneath. Consider that the artist was born and raised in NJ, had season tickets since the first season and is a die hard fan. He is extremely proud that he can contribute to the new arena in such a meaningful and noticable manner to the team that I know is his passion. I bet each one of us would jump at that same opportunity. It pales in contrast to a brick. This statue is constructed in his medium and Devils' management also liked the idea. I personally think the Devils management should be commended for taking a risk and trying to create a unique visual environment. How many of you (other than DM) can say that you have spent months upon months building something for the Devils that will impact so many?

I'm ambivalent towards the aesthetics of the statue itself. It is neither the greatest statue in the world, nor by any means one of the worst. It kind of reminds me of a statue of Zeus on Cornell University Campus by the Statler Hotel. I proposed a version of an artpiece at one point that would have been a fountainhead in Triangle Park (which at the time was the only Plaza type area to be built in the vicinity of the arena) and I'm glad that Jeff was good enough to go as far as he did insofar as making a Devils-themed plaza. Given the fact that I'm not an artist of any sort its probably a good thing that it wasn't my own vision that was used and the fact that a real artist was commissioned to do a piece for the plaza is wonderful and I'm glad to see it. Is it exactly what I envisioned? Obviously not. But I'm proud that as Devils fans we now have a recognizable permanent symbol, even beyond the arena itself, of our existence in this state.

I ride into Penn Station to grab the Path so I'm passing the arena every day. I have to say that seeing the statue in person versus in pictures gives me a better perspective. I think that it is one of those pieces of art that allows for different opinions each time you see it.

Overall,I give the Devils high marks for taking that empty eyesore of a lot and turning it into something that will offer a great place to go before games. And hopefully after we start winning some playoff rounds.

I'm ambivalent towards the aesthetics of the statue itself. It is neither the greatest statue in the world, nor by any means one of the worst...

I can tell you where the worst is. Philadelphia. I haven't been to many cities, but I would almost guarantee you philly has some of the worst public art you will ever see. They actually have one that just looks like giant turds on top of other turds.

So I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with our statue at first, but it really has grown on me. I like it. And no matter what nickname people try to come up with, I will probably always call it "The Big Hockey Guy."

I can tell you where the worst is. Philadelphia. I haven't been to many cities, but I would almost guarantee you philly has some of the worst public art you will ever see. They actually have one that just looks like giant turds on top of other turds.

So I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with our statue at first, but it really has grown on me. I like it. And no matter what nickname people try to come up with, I will probably always call it "The Big Hockey Guy."

That would actually be considered good art since its appropriate/fitting for that city.