Leafs Acquire Kessel

USC09

don't understand why they didn't sheet him. for what they paid to sign him, they gave up too much, and didn't give him enough years. I think he gave up 1 UFA year and that's it.

they could have paid more and given up a 1-2-3 instead of a 1-1-2.

They most likely had a sheet offer in too... he had offer sheets he could of signed.

don't understand why they didn't sheet him. for what they paid to sign him, they gave up too much, and didn't give him enough years. I think he gave up 1 UFA year and that's it.

they could have paid more and given up a 1-2-3 instead of a 1-1-2.

i don't love the trade, but i am sure boston threatened they would match an offer sheet. plus burke probably wanted to save face about offer sheets.

he did give up 1 UFA year but that is pretty huge. toronto is going for a cup in 2012-13 and this is a great keystone for that.

This trade stinks. If Brian Burke weren't Brian Burke Leafs fans would be up in arms. Overpaying Kessel and giving up great draft picks is not a smart move for the franchise.

It's bold I'll give it that, and the Leafs are DESPERATE for scoring, but this team is just too far away to make moves like this and become a contender. I guess I'd rather overpay for Kessel than someone like Ryan Malone but how can anyone look at that lineup and think the Leafs are anywhere near a cup without two or three more years of draft picks?

This trade stinks. If Brian Burke weren't Brian Burke Leafs fans would be up in arms. Overpaying Kessel and giving up great draft picks is not a smart move for the franchise.

It's bold I'll give it that, and the Leafs are DESPERATE for scoring, but this team is just too far away to make moves like this and become a contender. I guess I'd rather overpay for Kessel than someone like Ryan Malone but how can anyone look at that lineup and think the Leafs are anywhere near a cup without two or three more years of draft picks?

but the thing is that the draft picks weren't going to be that high and next year's draft is weak. 2011 they should make the playoffs. and kessel will be a significant upgrade over a UFA - it's damn near impossible to get one without significantly overpaying. kessel would be worth around 7.5-8 million in UFA.

i don't think it's a good trade, but it doesn't stink. kessel is paid $5.4 million in 2012-13. that's huge - a keystone to a cup contender.

I think its a good trade for both teams, because the B's get younger and Kessel is still not in his prime, so I think it will pay off for both teams. The Leafs do sacrifice future youth, but Kessel is one of the most finesse players in the league and draws comparison to a very healthy Mogilny, but he has a physical element to his game as well and has good puck handling ability. The Bruins do lose in the scoring department, because they were one of the highest scoring teams last season.

they can now afford to re-sign marc savard. before this trade it would've been impossible to keep kessel and savard. these draft picks can be used for a big deal (acquiring ilya kovalchuk at the deadline?).

I'm confused as to why you'd want to keep a much older Marc Savard than a 21 year old 40 goal scorer. If Kessel figures anything else out besides scoring, this'll look really dumb IMO

I'm confused as to why you'd want to keep a much older Marc Savard than a 21 year old 40 goal scorer. If Kessel figures anything else out besides scoring, this'll look really dumb IMO

wingers are way more prevalent than centers on the free agent market. boston themselves have a ton of great wingers. plus kessel has an attitude problem.

just another player that would have fit in and done well for the Devils...another one gone.

...so you're disappointed in Lou?

I'd be pissed if the Devils gave up what the Leafs did for Kessel, primarily because getting Kessel would pretty much mean throwing in the towel on Bergfors. Unless Kessel was dedicated enough to play center (which reports make it seem like he isn't), he had no place on the Devils' squad.

Bruins will be all right after this trade dependent on a return to health by Marco Sturm, and the continued development of Blake Wheeler and Milan Lucic. If Sturm can stay healthy and chip in his usual 20 goals, and Wheeler & Lucic are capable of playing more minutes and shouldering more responsibility, the Bruins can make up for the overall goal-loss caused by Kessel's departure. Plus, as Tri said, those are some mighty fine draft picks they've picked up... could either be used in a deadline deal (Kovalchuk would be a huge splash, but I'm hopeful he'll stick in Atlanta... Justin Williams in LA could be an option, or someone like Aucoin for defensive help) or to add to their pool of young talent.

I'd be pissed if the Devils gave up what the Leafs did for Kessel, primarily because getting Kessel would pretty much mean throwing in the towel on Bergfors. Unless Kessel was dedicated enough to play center (which reports make it seem like he isn't), he had no place on the Devils' squad.

Exactly. Great point. Devils were NOT going to give up all those draft picks and spend that kind of money on a player who thinks he is better than he really is. Kessel is a good player but not as good as he thinks he is. Just a good way for toronto to sell more jerseys.

Thanks Lou for NOT giving up all those draft picks and spending that money for Kessel

I don't get all the Kessel hate, he had 36 goals in 70 games as a 21-year old. I have no use for Brian Burke personally, but really two firsts and a two aren't overpaying when you consider Kessel has far more value than a first-rounder now being established. Plus he's still got more than enough youth that you're not trading for a rental player, it's a potential cornerstone for the Leafs. And this isn't just Boston dealing him, it's dealing him to a division rival so I'm sure there was a slight premium on the cost for the Leafs anyway.

Granted, I didn't really want the Devils to get into the Kessel sweepstakes either because he won't play C and getting him would mean losing Paul Martin at least, if not David Clarkson too because of the cap next year. But let's not act like he's a 30-year old middling player.

Edited by Hasan4978

I don't get all the Kessel hate, he had 36 goals in 70 games as a 21-year old. I have no use for Brian Burke personally, but really two firsts and a two aren't overpaying when you consider Kessel has far more value than a first-rounder now being established. Plus he's still got more than enough youth that you're not trading for a rental player, it's a potential cornerstone for the Leafs. And this isn't just Boston dealing him, it's dealing him to a division rival so I'm sure there was a slight premium on the cost for the Leafs anyway.

Granted, I didn't really want the Devils to get into the Kessel sweepstakes either because he won't play C and getting him would mean losing Paul Martin at least, if not David Clarkson too because of the cap next year. But let's not act like he's a 30-year old middling player.

All Kessel does is score goals, and he did it on a stacked team. He will struggle in Toronto as the lone offensive option. By trading the picks there is now not much help coming in 2-3 years.

I like Kessel I think he is good, but 5 million plus for him for the next 5 years isn't that great (No way he's worth 7.5 mill) and giving up 3 draft picks makes it even worse, especially when you are one of the worst teams in the league.

I am not one of these guys who overrates draft picks substantially that you find all over hfboards. I just think Kessel is overrated, and a really bad fit for Toronto as currently designed. Most importantly they have lost their flexibility. The best thing for Burke to do was to lay low acquire assets, develop within and look for a bargain this upcoming season at the trade deadline (recession means teams are going to be unloading salary).

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfshark: that's all true, but he is only 21. the list of players who scored 40 goals in this sort of goal scoring environment at 21 is pretty short and made up of hall of fame type players.

no way he's worth 7.5 million? again, 36 goals in 70 games at 21, played in the nhl at age 18. rick nash got 7.5 million as a contract extension - were kessel UFA he'd probably be looking at 6 million+.

also phil kessel is a salary cap bargain of the sort you are speaking of.

anyway i don't usually advertise like this, but i think this situation is pretty complex and i'm gonna throw up a two-part post on my blog about it.

Edited by Triumph