Shanahan leaves Devils

iamtheprodigy

Would it really have been that bad to let Shanny play until Elias came back? At least see where Shanny was at, at that time? Pandolfo should have been cut if you wanna make room for the "kids"

Lets see the kids do this and spark the team to make an incredible comeback and get out of a losing streak slump.

Shanny Penalty Shot

I think you're forgetting that Shanahan had a say in this, too. If you read the AP articles, he said that they had an agreement that he would step down if he wasn't up to being a top 9 forward. If he couldn't hang in the preseason, what would he be like in the final stretch?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was going to sign with another team it would be the Rangers. Before he signed it was either the Devils or Rangers because he didn't want to move his family. I any vet would go I thought it would be Pando. :noclue:

If he was going to sign with another team it would be the Rangers. Before he signed it was either the Devils or Rangers because he didn't want to move his family. If any vet would go I thought it would be Pando. :noclue:

If I remember correctly from before the season, Shanahan met with Lou to discuss his role for next season. It was probably agreed he'd see third line minutes and a good amount of power play time. In reality it seems we may have 6 wingers better than him who have to play (parise, langenbrunner, elias, rolston, clarkson, bergfors) which would likely put him on the fourth line. If he can play somewhere else with the minutes he wants, he should. If he doesn't then hopefully he can become some sort of special assignment coach and work with the young guys who like him.

If he couldn't hang in the preseason, what would he be like in the final stretch?

But he DID hang in the preseason.. Sure if he looked slow and sloppy I'd be okay with it but he looks able-bodied and sharp.. He played great!

:doh1: ... oh well, nothing we can do now.. :koolaid: (tasting a little sower today)

why bother signing Neidermayer if you need to make room for the kids? Sestito would have been fine as a center for us. He is definitely better than Pelley... I wasn't even that impressed with Halischuk either, I would have preferred Zharkov over him.

I agree with this.

Lou wouldn't have signed Neidermayer if he didn't have ties to a former Devil. He's probably worse than Shanahan is. What a joke...

I agree with this.

Lou wouldn't have signed Neidermayer if he didn't have ties to a former Devil. He's probably worse than Shanahan is. What a joke...

the difference is that Neidermayer came in to play center (at least for the start of the season) and Shanahan doesn't play center.

But he DID hang in the preseason.. Sure if he looked slow and sloppy I'd be okay with it but he looks able-bodied and sharp.. He played great!

I only saw the first preseason game, but Shanny looked pretty bad to me. Slower, worse with the puck, weak along the boards. It was a huge dropoff after he, to me, looked like one of the five or so best players on the team in the playoffs last year.

I think a lot of people here are confusing the idea of Shanahan with who he actually is at this stage of his career. More power to him for not wanting to fizzle out an outstanding career as a fourth liner/healthy scratch. Maybe he finds a team that gives him a spot on the top three lines, maybe he hangs 'em up. But the guy apparently just wasn't good enough anymore to fill that role for us.

I only saw the first preseason game, but Shanny looked pretty bad to me. Slower, worse with the puck, weak along the boards. It was a huge dropoff after he, to me, looked like one of the five or so best players on the team in the playoffs last year.

That's what throws me off though, he looked pretty good in the last pre-season game. At least my last memory of him as a Devil is scoring a one-timer off a feed from Bergfors in one of his last shifts.

Pikkachu > Shanahan???

why bother signing Neidermayer if you need to make room for the kids? Sestito would have been fine as a center for us. He is definitely better than Pelley... I wasn't even that impressed with Halischuk either, I would have preferred Zharkov over him.

Sestito is NOT better than Pelley. Sestito has energy, and might make a decent role-playing forward some day, but Pelley is a MUCH more rounded player from what I've seen. And even if Zharkov did seem to make more of an impression in the preseason, we're only seeing a few preseason games while the coaches and Lou are seeing the games plus many practices and drills and scrimmages. Obviously, they've determined that Halischuk is above Zharkov right now based on all that they've seen. You don't know more than Lou or Lemaire.

And so you understand a little better, the reason we signed Niedermayer isn't because of his name, it's because he's flexible and fits perfectly with what the team will need this season. He can play center well and then he can seamlessly shift to wing when Elias is back. To respond to the question of is he better than Shanahan, I would say yes. Shanny has great hands and is a great veteran presence, but as many have said, he's too slow and yadda yadda yadda you know the rest. Rob skates well still and is strong on the puck. You can say whatever you want about faceoff percentages but there's much more important things than that in being a center. Besides, his face-off numbers are misconstrued. When he used to take face-offs regularly a few seasons ago, he was a mid to upper 40s percentage face-off man which is perfectly acceptable. If you'd rather have Sestito than Niedermayer, then you're crazy. It's the difference between a (possibly) career AHLer and a 1000+ game NHL veteran.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

I think a lot of people here are confusing the idea of Shanahan with who he actually is at this stage of his career. More power to him for not wanting to fizzle out an outstanding career as a fourth liner/healthy scratch. Maybe he finds a team that gives him a spot on the top three lines, maybe he hangs 'em up. But the guy apparently just wasn't good enough anymore to fill that role for us.

even then, last season, when he admittedly played very hard.... he had 3 even strength goals in 34 (?) games. Pando, who blew last season, had 4 in roughly sixty. so, this means, even strength, he would have provided 1 or 2 more goals over 60 games than Pando would have. again, considering how god-awful Pando was, is this that much of an accomplishment?

he has his name, he works hard, he's a lockeroom guy. can't say anything bad about that, but even last year, watching this guy and knowing what he was, if someone doesn't think he was 100% shot, they're kidding themselves. and it's pretty easy to see why he wouldn't want the fourth line role because that's a hell of a way to end your storied career.

if you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick between Niedermayer and the Shanahan I saw a couple of weeks ago, I would pick Niedermayer sight unseen.

And you think Shanny has the speed and stamina to play center in the NHL right now? I love the guy, but come on. He is nowhere near as versatile as Niedermayer is right now.

By versatile you mean, average to below average on the wings and poor at center? Shanahan today is a better player then Niedermayer any day of the week.

It's the position .. If I were Shanny I wouldn't want to take a crack at center. If he saw he was causing a problem Shannahan would reach the same conclusion the organization has. If he knew or rather if he had seen first what accommodations were being considered for him.. he'd be the first to say - this is stupid - just tell me to move on!

The problem arises because it's also his job to not seek out his short comings in the scheme of things but rather to see how he can make things work. You give your 100% to making it all work - if you're playing well, you just can't let yourself see why you shouldn't be there. It's totally contrary to your job! If you suck like Friezen was, then you know you have to go. Shannahan wasn't sucking at all. Through no fault of his own he was a spare part. Where he could be used he probably wouldn't want to be used. Like asking Chelios to be a winger -- he probably could have done it -- but it's just dumb. It's just as seemingly stupid as dumping the guy but would take a lot freaking longer - why wait to gain buy in? And buy in from WHO? The organization doesn't need buy in from fans who are only remotely connected to the final product.

Just imagine asking Shannahan to play center -- would he say "Sure Boss!" Noooo! He'd look at you funny and ask 'why?' it just looks and feel wrong - it's pushing and it's not necessary and I dont know which is worse, to force him into seeing that fact and giving him the chance to leave on his own, or just not wasting all that time and telling him flat out - "because you are a consummate professional, you can't see this at the moment: you do not want to be on this team - it's going to get illogical and then probably fall into undignified, so what do you think? What do you want to do here?" Poor Lou - because it's NOT about his playing - I can see it really isn't -- the fit is just .. it's illogical :noclue:

I wish you guys could understand what I just wrote and see the truth in it -- I dont even get why its so hard for you all to or why you relegate it to unimportant when in fact it IS the whole point. :rolleyes: Dudes <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

It's the position .. If I were Shanny I wouldn't want to take a crack at center. If he saw he was causing a problem Shannahan would reach the same conclusion the organization has. If he knew or rather if he had seen first what accommodations were being considered for him.. he'd be the first to say - this is stupid - just tell me to move on!

The problem arises because it's also his job to not seek out his short comings in the scheme of things but rather to see how he can make things work. You give your 100% to making it all work - if you're playing well, you just can't let yourself see why you shouldn't be there. It's totally contrary to your job! If you suck like Friezen was, then you know you have to go. Shannahan wasn't sucking at all. Through no fault of his own he was a spare part. Where he could be used he probably wouldn't want to be used. Like asking Chelios to be a winger -- he probably could have done it -- but it's just dumb. It's just as seemingly stupid as dumping the guy but would take a lot freaking longer - why wait to gain buy in? And buy in from WHO? The organization doesn't need buy in from fans who are only remotely connected to the final product.

Just imagine asking Shannahan to play center -- would he say "Sure Boss!" Noooo! He'd look at you funny and ask 'why?' it just looks and feel wrong - it's pushing and it's not necessary and I dont know which is worse, to force him into seeing that fact and giving him the chance to leave on his own, or just not wasting all that time and telling him flat out - "because you are a consummate professional, you can't see this at the moment: you do not want to be on this team - it's going to get illogical and then probably fall into undignified, so what do you think? What do you want to do here?" Poor Lou - because it's NOT about his playing - I can see it really isn't -- the fit is just .. it's illogical :noclue:

I wish you guys could understand what I just wrote and see the truth in it -- I dont even get why its so hard for you all to or why you relegate it to unimportant when in fact it IS the whole point. :rolleyes: Dudes <_<

orrrrrrrrrrr......he wanted to be/thinks he's a top 6 maybe top 9 forward and he just isn't on this team (at least in the eyes of those that matter)....and thus the story ends. It was a good career...good luck in future endeavors and all that.

see, I like the think I'm the more simplistic version of what you have to offer PK :) the yin to your yang so to speak....of course not nearly as well versed, liked, or thought out....or knowledgeable for that matter :D

Edited by UnderDogX

From what I understand, it's a lot more difficult and a lot more expensive to get rid of Pandolfo than Shanahan right now. Blame the CBA, I guess. Or blame Shanny, since it seems like this decision was equally on him, Lemaire and Lou. It sounds like Shanny wasn't playing up to the level he wanted, Lemaire agreed and Lou did the difficult, but necessary, task of making the cut.

Shanahan apparently wasn't very happy in the meeting

http://www.thestar.c.../article/704299

Devils coach Lemaire said he was in the meeting when president/GM Lamoriello talked to Shanahan.

"If I knew it would have been like that, I don't know if I would have attended, because it's hard," Lemaire said. "I've seen a few in my career, and the good people, it's hard to come to this type of situation."

Edited by aylbert

orrrrrrrrrrr......he wanted to be/thinks he's a top 6 maybe top 9 forward and he just isn't on this team (at least in the eyes of those that matter)....and thus the story ends. It was a good career...good luck in future endeavors and all that.

see, I like the think I'm the more simplistic version of what you have to offer PK :) the yin to your yang so to speak....of course not nearly as well versed, liked, or thought out....or knowledgeable for that matter :D

the center thing was just in response to people saying he had a place there, would be a better fit than RNieds. That's crazy talk! :P I don't think that was even an issue. At issue was that there was no place and it seems from his play and comments he didn't see that. But anyone else should logically see there was no place he'd be happy playing in on this team, be it a 4th line center, a fourth line winger... I dont even see him happy on a checking line - seriously... that was the point I was trying to make :evil:

By versatile you mean, average to below average on the wings and poor at center? Shanahan today is a better player then Niedermayer any day of the week.

And Shanahan would be better than 'poor' at center? Even if he is better on draws, that is alot of ice to cover for a 40 year old. Plus, he didn't want 4th line duty, and I get the impression Niedermayer will play wherever they throw him. Where Shanny would have shined is behind the scenes.

Shanahan apparently wasn't very happy in the meeting

http://www.thestar.c.../article/704299

Well, would you really expect him to be "happy" about basically being asked to leave the team at this stage? Of course he wasn't happy. I'm sure he was upset about it. But he understands that it's nothing personal and that we all have respect for him. His abilities, which he clearly still has, simply don't fit with the direction that this team wants to go this season. It sucks, but it's clear that he gets it. I don't think there's any serious hard feelings there.