GDT: Philadelphia @ DEVILS 10/3/09 - 7pm

overtime98

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, jerk.

dont take it personally bub. i love this team, just not the lineup we're throwing out there this year. honestly, do you believe this group has what it takes to contend for the cup?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont take it personally bub. i love this team, just not the lineup we're throwing out there this year. honestly, do you believe this group has what it takes to contend for the cup?

i dont see how you can come to that conclusion based off of 1 game.

rough night. obviously brodeur was terrible, so let's get that out of the way. the 5 on 3 was a cruel joke but the PP looked a little better later - got the first goal.

rob niedermayer was out of position a fair amount. special needs is pretty much the perfect way to sum up his play.

liked what murphy brought.

bergfors obviously belongs in the NHL, but we knew that already.

would like to see much less 1 2 2. i also don't like that lemaire seems to be against dump and chase, which to me is the way parise-zajac-langenbrunner get things done.

between all the new players and the little adjustments the devils have to make i don't expect to fly out of the gate - 3 bad brodeur goals doesn't help matters.

Its weird, I thought Niedermayer did a few nice thing with the puck tonight and had some good plays along the boards. as far as positioning it was hard to keep track because to me there were times when the team just seemed to be in scramble mode.

Murphy moves the puck well but defensively I didn't see much. hard to judge off this game though.

Your point about PZL is strong. Not sure if was you but I know it was mentioned somewhere earlier about the dump and chase issue. That line just has not seemed to click so far and if they are not running on all cylinders things are going to be rough obviously.

Its one game. This team needs a fair shake and we should see where they are at after 10 games. Actually that really isn't fair either considering they wont have Elias for that stretch. Eh it is what it is I guess.

Edited by SickMan

the team looked pretty lifeless after philly made it 2-0.. i thought they had a great 1st period (especially the bergfors line) and they had some nice chances early in the 2nd, but once they made it 2-0, it was like they just stopped trying. the goals on brodeur were embarrassing to say the least, the only one that wasn't really his fault was the one that hit salvador's stick and went up and in the net on the richards' wrap-around. i thought rob niedermayer looked pretty solid. andrew peters is a joke; he looked fat and slow in preseason and he still does. i would imagine (and hope) p3l gets in the lineup on monday night (im not a fan of either but peters was disappointing tonight). im actually not a fan of the 4th line as a whole.. what is halischuk doing there? why is he matched with a goon and a 4th line center? swap him and pandolfo at least..

hopefully we see a better effort on monday.

The team was lifeless after 2 5 on 3 power plays and didn't convert on either one of them, that first goal by philly made the mentality even worse.

Here's my rant from the car on the way home...

Brodeur? Awful.

Powerplay? Disgusting.

Defense? Nonexistent besides one play by Martin.

You know... The Rangers suck chant is cool and all... Butwhen we are down 5-1 in the third period and the Flyers fans are laughing us out of our own building... ITS fvckING EMBARASSING. The Rangers are winning, we are getting our asses handed to us and we are chanting that the Rangers suck... Wow...

And about those Flyers fans... If they didn't show up, we would have had 14 thousand people there. And its a joke if they announce a sellout because it wasn't even close.

It is the first game of the year so we will brush it off... But this was one of the most embarassing nights in a while.... Shake it off for Monday...

not worried in the slightest it was the first game of the year. marty had an off night we have another 81 games to go. really liked the way bergfors played i can see him putting up 50 to 55 points. bergie is a very slick player who was unfortunately cast aside by the xenophobe who headed the previous regime.

im not basing it on one game.

im basing it on a ton of games ive watched rob niedermeyer play as a mediocre nhl center.

im basing it on watching dainius zubrus toil here and do little to nothing of note for the last couple of years.

im basing it on rod pelley being incredibly overrated as a checking center.

im basing it on andrew peters bringing little to the table other than an occasional fight.

im basing it on leblond doing the same, plus a bit of youthful energy.

im basing it on halischuk and bergfors needing to get nhl experience (no fault of their own, clearly)

sorry, but we've only got one line that's really going to be able to do what it's supposed to do. second scoring line will have to work all season to find some chemistry. i think rolston will have a better year than last year but we need a real center for that line. cant we buy out dainius zubrus? or have him killed? something???

this team's just not built to do well this year. i hope im wrong. i really do. obviously i want them to win and overcome any obstacles to their success. but i just feel like anyone who believes in this group "as is" is being a bit of a pollyanna. just my take.

everyone is overreacting and that second scoring line is already there by the looks of it. rolston zubrus bergfors was very competent. the devils will make the playoffs and its a crap shoot after that to be honest. it matters what team gets hot at the right time. our regular season success has not gotten us anywhere. by the way the offense has not been the problem for the past years it always goes back to the d. the devils will never go far until they acquire an elite defensemen and this is no disrespect to paul martin. martin, is probably a borderline 1 but they need a bonafide number 1.

Edited by William

im basing it on a ton of games ive watched rob niedermeyer play as a mediocre nhl center.

im basing it on watching dainius zubrus toil here and do little to nothing of note for the last couple of years.

im basing it on andrew peters bringing little to the table other than an occasional fight.

im basing it on halischuk and bergfors needing to get nhl experience (no fault of their own, clearly)

er, those pretty much are all 4th liners - niedermayer, pelley, peters, leblond.

sure halischuk and bergfors need nhl experience, but whose to say they won't produce right away? you could've said the same thing about parise back in 2005-06 and the same for zajac in 2006-07. i'm not a fan of zubrus either so i really can't defend him, but you can't say base almost your entire opinion on 4th liners and 2 rookies.

sorry, but we've only got one line that's really going to be able to do what it's supposed to do. second scoring line will have to work all season to find some chemistry. i think rolston will have a better year than last year but we need a real center for that line. cant we buy out dainius zubrus? or have him killed? something???

this team's just not built to do well this year. i hope im wrong. i really do. obviously i want them to win and overcome any obstacles to their success. but i just feel like anyone who believes in this group "as is" is being a bit of a pollyanna. just my take.

All fair points. I don't think there is anyone out there calling us a Cup contender. Because we aren't. But I don't think tonight was as bad as the score indicates. The Flyers scored 3 awful goals. I mean absolute garbage goals. Can't blame anyone but Marty for those.

We didn't see much from the top line, and we know that will change.

Alright...what to say about Andrew Peters. What was the motivation behind this signing and for two years no less. Did Lou owe his agent a favour or something? I didn't get the signing when it happened, and this one game really reinforced my opinion. What is his purpose. He is absolutely useless.

Things could be ugly until Elias comes back.

Typical board reaction from this night....

Honestly guys, 2 new faces, 3 new guys who've played NHL.....against.... the team favored by almost everyone to win the cup????

This mentality of "we must be a cup contender every year!" is wearing on me a bit. Its a nice ideal, but essentially thats what it is.

Could it happen - sure....must it, because we are "new Jersey" - sorry, get over yourselves.

Some in this franchise (or on this board) expect:

1.) A great team annually without ever giving time for youth to move in

or

2.) Fleecing some NHL UFA into a "sucker contract"

Be patient....

They will do better, give them some time to find it.

Alright...what to say about Andrew Peters. What was the motivation behind this signing and for two years no less. Did Lou owe his agent a favour or something? I didn't get the signing when it happened, and this one game really reinforced my opinion. What is his purpose. He is absolutely useless.

Things could be ugly until Elias comes back.

Obviously the intent was to add some muscle but the thing that is the most disappointing about him thus far is that he does not seem to be throwing his weight around. Maybe that is because he is still getting himself conditioned but his play just doesn't seem inspired. I can forgive him for not fighting. Some people are dumping on him for not dropping the gloves but it takes 2 to tango and there was no purpose to be served for the Flyers to fight tonight. They probably learned their lesson with that nonsense after game 6 last year.

Whatever I guess, we just can't be worried about Peters. His role is so minor and if he continues to suck he will eventually play himself off the team. I'd love to have an effective 4th line but until Elias gets back the team is going to have their hands full getting lines 2 and 3 to be effective. The bottom feeders can be addressed later.

Edited by SickMan

My analysis: The forwards didn't play well but at least the def.... well Marty played we.... I take it back everyone sucked.

But seriously, I do think at least part of the poor play was adjusting to the new system from Lemaire. You could tell that they were thinking about what to do a lot as opposed to just playing instinctively. I just hope they can get it together soon. It also didn't help to not have Elias.

That said, they still sucked.

Edited by nyrsuck26

er, those pretty much are all 4th liners - niedermayer, pelley, peters, leblond.

sure halischuk and bergfors need nhl experience, but whose to say they won't produce right away? you could've said the same thing about parise back in 2005-06 and the same for zajac in 2006-07. i'm not a fan of zubrus either so i really can't defend him, but you can't say base almost your entire opinion on 4th liners and 2 rookies.

when our 3rd and 4th line last year was

Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan

and

Zubrus-Rupp-Clarkson

I think I can. We've fallen off in terms of putting 4 solid lines out there this year, and fallen off hard. That matters. Those guys aren't just out there for a shift or two. They're supposed to be the guys you can put in there to shut down the other team's offense. Do we have anyone on those bottom two lines this year who's an outstanding checker? Other than Pandolfo, not really.

when our 3rd and 4th line last year was

Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan

and

Zubrus-Rupp-Clarkson

I think I can. We've fallen off in terms of putting 4 solid lines out there this year, and fallen off hard. That matters. Those guys aren't just out there for a shift or two. They're supposed to be the guys you can put in there to shut down the other team's offense. Do we have anyone on those bottom two lines this year who's an outstanding checker? Other than Pandolfo, not really.

when was that ever the bottom 2 lines? whatever the case, shanahan and madden were finished, as is pandolfo. zubrus and clarkson aren't 4th line players and keeping them there is silly.

is this team going to win the cup? probably not, no. but if you're going to sit here and say 'oh sigh guys we're not a cup contender, i guess i'll just pack it in and watch my 2003 DVD again', what's the point of the whole exercise