Brodeur Bitter About 1st Loss?

BlizzardCyclone

Brodeur Seemed a bit upset when approached about his performance in the Devils Home opener Saturday night. Brodeur said: "What's new? When the team isn't playing well they're not going to praise you. It's disappointing for everybody, a situation like that. I hate to break the news to you, but it's going to happen again. If we don't perform, people won't be happy. That's the nature of everything."

from Yahoo Sports Devils Report: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/njd/report#notes_quotes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I mean he's right.. People need to calm down and realize that we could suck until December and still turn it on and make the playoffs.. It's happened before to us.. There's no use in getting all ancy over the first game

Edited by Colin226

I don't read too much bitterness but I wouldn't blame him if that was the case. He's upset with himself though.

I don't know about anyone else, but I winced when the crowd gave him the sarcastic cheer. I was embarrassed for the fans who did that. They call that the douche chills, I believe.

I don't read too much bitterness but I wouldn't blame him if that was the case. He's upset with himself though.

I don't know about anyone else, but I winced when the crowd gave him the sarcastic cheer. I was embarrassed for the fans who did that. They call that the douche chills, I believe.

Jerry, I was embarrassed on many occasions with our fans on opening night. Especially with 15 minutes to go in the third, we are down 4-0 and the Rangers are up 3-1 or 4-1 at that point. The Devils were embarrassing themselves, and we are chanting Rangers suck... it's just really ridiculous sometimes.

I agree Jerry. You don't sarcastically cheer a hall of fame goaltender, with all the success we've had with him. I even said something to a few people sitting in my section after it happened.

On the flip side, there are plenty of LucifersDogs out there who hate Marty, and think he's extremely overrated and can't do it with out Stevens and Co. One of them went as for as to say Emery's the better goaltender (and was serious) and how he could take a bad Ottawa team to the finals....and so on and so forth.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Marty. I appreciate all he's done for this team, but I too, have grown tired of comments like this, after game 7 last year, and ones that go back a while. It all comes down, I just want him to play his game and not worry about the mistakes of his defensemen.

I think Marty, like all goaltenders, is at best when he's not trying to play defense. Marty is a great goaltender, better than 99% to play the game. He's also very smart. He knows his defense isn't very good, and doesn't trust them. You can see it, in how he (when he has bad games/bad goals) cheats a little bit to make up for the weak D. He even alludes to it, in his comments. And often times Marty gets away with cheating a little bit, because he can make up for it. Do bad goals go in anyway when he's playing well? Sure. But like all athletes, when you think, more often than not, you fail. This has been a constant battle with him, even moreso since the D changeover during the lockout.

also i heard group of flyers fans sing the na na hey good bye song. thats just embarrsing to hear

Yeah, we were getting laughed out of our own building. If the Devils play the same way tonight, it will be even MORE embarrassing with all the Ranger fans that will show up.

During I belive the last TV time out, when it was already 5-2, I looked over at Marty and you could tell by his body language he was disgusted with himself. Marty is profesional enough to know he played miserable but he can't just come out in public and say it. Goalies need to remain confident and I'm sure Marty's mind is working overtime to maintain that confidence, which is why his quotes may seem bitter or ever unwilling to accept responsibility.

Of course, this is all conjecture as I don't know what's really in his mind, but I know how it is to play miserable in goal and what it is to loose confidence. We already have aging Marty Brodeur...the last thing we need is unsure and not confident Marty Brodeur.

Jerry, I was embarrassed on many occasions with our fans on opening night. Especially with 15 minutes to go in the third, we are down 4-0 and the Rangers are up 3-1 or 4-1 at that point. The Devils were embarrassing themselves, and we are chanting Rangers suck... it's just really ridiculous sometimes.

Yea me too. I was like are you kidding? - I don't like the chant personally, but if you're going to do it, do it when the Rangers are losing on the out of town board. Also, I'm sick of the HEY You Suck. It's fvcking pathetic, and very amateur. I'd be in favor of getting a new goal song because of it. It's just classless, and YOU SUCK when you get a goal in a 4-0 blowout is dumb.

But we have drunk retard fans, just like the Rangers, Flyers, whoever do.

Also, I'm sick of the HEY You Suck. It's fvcking pathetic, and very amateur. I'd be in favor of getting a new goal song because of it. It's just classless, and YOU SUCK when you get a goal in a 4-0 blowout is dumb.

totally agree, btw, i'm in favor of going back to the awful OLE song if it means the you suck chant goes. no idea how that got started in the first place, but it's trashy.

Yea me too. I was like are you kidding? - I don't like the chant personally, but if you're going to do it, do it when the Rangers are losing on the out of town board. Also, I'm sick of the HEY You Suck. It's fvcking pathetic, and very amateur. I'd be in favor of getting a new goal song because of it. It's just classless, and YOU SUCK when you get a goal in a 4-0 blowout is dumb.

i agree i couldnt get into hey you suck chant at all since i knew it was blow out. im like to my friend really your going to do that since it was no point.

When the flyer fans were taunting, we were singing in the same tune, 'marty has 3 cups'.

You can be the biggest devil fan & be disappointed with marty, but you back him til

the death when it comes to other fans in our building.

I'm not packing it in after one game like the idiot behind me, who said we'd break the

record for most times being shut-out, about 6 minutes into the 2nd period.

I do think the people at the top are way more invested in this team than the fickle fans

are. Lams, Lemaire, Tremblay, Stevens & the vets on this team are not going to roll over.

Big response tonight from everyone is due.

And back to this thread. I thought that was the perfect response from MB. Bitter? why

not?, I'd be too.

Him & Zach get the biggest cheers when announced, he knows the fans support him & if he

starts to stink up the joint, he knows what's coming, fans who pluck a lot of $ down

& might boo & maybe less starts.

gravity, death, and devils being mediocre until december are all undeniable facts of life. the fourth fact is devils come alive in december and make the playoffs. get off the man's back every time he blows a game, rivera and brodeur will blow games from time to time.

the main problem was the 5 on 3 anyway, one or two goals there and we wouldn't have to push for goals giving up silly ones in the process. momentum is everything in hockey.

This like after game 7 last year when Marty said "At the end of the day, it's just a game"

that was the moment I realized Brodeur has lost "the fire". the fire to hate losing more than you enjoy winning.

he is in the twilight of his career. He will have many great nights to come, and also sub-par nights. he has been incredible for this team and its fans, but the peak of consistency has passed.

I will always cheer for him and hope that there is another NJ Cup in his future, but its unlikely that he will be the difference maker through a round, let alone 4.

On a great team he can be a winner, but on a lackluster team he can be sub-par, compared to his past.

I will enjoy the all-time records he sets this year (Games Played, Minutes Played, SO) and also hope to see playoff win #100 and playoff SO #24.

But it is tempered by what I see in his satisfaction in past success and not seeing that burning desire to reach the mountain top again.

I agree Jerry. You don't sarcastically cheer a hall of fame goaltender, with all the success we've had with him. I even said something to a few people sitting in my section after it happened.

On the flip side, there are plenty of LucifersDogs out there who hate Marty, and think he's extremely overrated and can't do it with out Stevens and Co. One of them went as for as to say Emery's the better goaltender (and was serious) and how he could take a bad Ottawa team to the finals....and so on and so forth.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Marty. I appreciate all he's done for this team, but I too, have grown tired of comments like this, after game 7 last year, and ones that go back a while. It all comes down, I just want him to play his game and not worry about the mistakes of his defensemen.

I think Marty, like all goaltenders, is at best when he's not trying to play defense. Marty is a great goaltender, better than 99% to play the game. He's also very smart. He knows his defense isn't very good, and doesn't trust them. You can see it, in how he (when he has bad games/bad goals) cheats a little bit to make up for the weak D. He even alludes to it, in his comments. And often times Marty gets away with cheating a little bit, because he can make up for it. Do bad goals go in anyway when he's playing well? Sure. But like all athletes, when you think, more often than not, you fail. This has been a constant battle with him, even moreso since the D changeover during the lockout.

well said.

Of course, this is all conjecture as I don't know what's really in his mind, but I know how it is to play miserable in goal and what it is to loose confidence. We already have aging Marty Brodeur...the last thing we need is unsure and not confident Marty Brodeur.

also well said

BlueSkirt,

I'm not sure of the fire comment..perhaps. He's been in the pipes for a while. It's harder to backstop a mediocre team at this stage of the career than one when you're still mucho hungry. At the same point, Marty's never been vocal about disappointment like a Stevens/etc.

He know he has to play better, I'm not worried about that. If anything, I'm annoyed he doesn't stop making the same mistakes of trying to do too much 16 years in to a career. That's just his subconscious, I suppose, that takes over.

Not to derail this thread into a "dumb fans" conversation, but I think a good 70% of sports fans in general behave stupidly. My feeling is that we, as sports fans, get emotionally vested in the teams we root for and when they fail, it hurts us on a personal level. Once we've been hurt that way, we lose the ability to think rationally...every action is reactive to the pain we are currently feeling.

For example, when Marty gives up 3, maybe 4 true softies, a rational fan would say, "Wow, it just wasn't his night. Let's give him a few games before crucifing him". However, an emotional fan can't think that clearly because their emotions are running wild, especially when they have Flyer fans talking trash, in their own building, on opening night. The amped up fan will lash out against everything and everyone. Leaving the building, I heard fans screaming, "Why did we lose Madden??" As if John Madden would have saved the day and prevented 3 goals. Fans don't think, not because they're dummies or even because they are bad fans, it's because their emotions are blocking their objectivity and common sense.

Personally, as much as I bleed Devils red, I've learned to not get too pissed about what I can't control. I can't make Marty stop a slapshot, I can't make the defense clear the zone, I can't make Halichuck an NHL ready player. Maybe that makes me a "bad fan" by some people's standards, but I'd rather discuss a game intelligently than lash out emotionally without thinking things through. That's just me and it doens't make me better or worse than the guy who wants to trade Marty for Brian Boucher, future considerations and a Lemonade Slurpie from 7-11 all thanks to an opening night loss. As a result, I really dont think that we have bad Devils fans, we just have very emotional ones.

Edited by Bulletproof

I think it was partly natural Opening Night frustration but it goes a little deeper than that, I think with that game coupled on top of Game 7 people aren't in the mood for a slump from MB30 at this point :P I've been defending him all offseason but now I just hope he's mad after that game the way he was after Game 4 last year.

I agree... and at that point I was yelling "HEY.... WE SUCK!"

I guess just like any other team there is a portion of the fan base that have their heads so far up their asses that its not even funny any more. Imo the Rangers suck chant is lame to begin with but I've grown to tolerate it since it is never going away. Its just on a completely different level of sad when you hear that crap in a 4-0 blow out when the team that sucks is actually winning their game.

The Bronx cheer is what it is. What can you do? People pay money for the tickets and I guess its not required to consider that the team they "cheer" for is still in New Jersey due in large part to the person they are mocking.

The team finally brings the hey song back and now it just sounds like sh*t with the you suck added to it.

I don't know personally I've become very bitter towards some of our fans. Don't get me wrong we have some great fans, a lot of them can be found on this board. It just bothers me to read that this team does not get enough respect blah blah blah and meanwhile fans of the team do the very same garbage. Yeah the Devils have not won the Stanley Cup since 03 and they have not been able to win in the playoffs as much as they would like. What a horrible pathetic franchise. You can stick your division banners and hof players where the sun doesn't shine.

Its not going to set in until our past his prime, overated goalie, gm, etc. leave this organization.

Edited by SickMan

As for the "You Suck" goal chant and the "Rangers Suck" when we are getting beaten by a divisional rivals, I totally agree they are ridiculous. They may have been fun when I was 15 and pissed at the world, but they are classless and juvenille now. Unfortunately, the masses generally win out but I simply don't participate anymore. Hopefully, if enough people stop, the chant will just go away but I doubt that's ever going to happen, although I do agree changing the goal song back to "Ole" would be a great idea. Just sick of hearing, "You Suck" when we've been soundly beaten all game by the team we're screaming at.

Not to derail this thread into a "dumb fans" conversation, but I think a good 70% of sports fans in general behave stupidly. My feeling is that we, as sports fans, get emotionally vested in the teams we root for and when they fail, it hurts us on a personal level. Once we've been hurt that way, we lose the ability to think rationally...every action is reactive to the pain we are currently feeling.

For example, when Marty gives up 3, maybe 4 true softies, a rational fan would say, "Wow, it just wasn't his night. Let's give him a few games before crucifing him". However, an emotional fan can't think that clearly because their emotions are running wild, especially when they have Flyer fans talking trash, in their own building, on opening night. The amped up fan will lash out against everything and everyone. Leaving the building, I heard fans screaming, "Why did we lose Madden??" As if John Madden would have saved the day and prevented 3 goals. Fans don't think, not because they're dummies or even because they are bad fans, it's because their emotions are blocking their objectivity and common sense.

Personally, as much as I bleed Devils red, I've learned to not get too pissed about what I can't control. I can't make Marty stop a slapshot, I can't make the defense clear the zone, I can't make Halichuck an NHL ready player. Maybe that makes me a "bad fan" by some people's standards, but I'd rather discuss a game intelligently than lash out emotionally without thinking things through. That's just me and it doens't make me better or worse than the guy who wants to trade Marty for Brian Boucher, future considerations and a Lemonade Slurpie from 7-11 all thanks to an opening night loss. As a result, I really dont think that we have bad Devils fans, we just have very emotional ones.

I don't know... as everyone knows around here I'm the biggest advocate of Philly fans being animals... but in MANY instances I've been embarrassed for us and our fans... we have a large amount of retards.

Just like when the Sharks next come to the Rock... there will be someone calling Heatley a murderer...

I also heard a LOT of racist black jokes screamed towards Emery Saturday which I was a little pissed off about. Obviously, I'm white. But there's no place for that here.