Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, if a miracle happens and New Jersey does get a Winter Classic next year, I'd love it to be a game between the Devils and ANYONE but the Rangers. When there were talks about a Rangers game at the Yankee Stadium, no one ever mentionted the Devils, even Lou was pissed about it. But when it's in NJ, the Rangers have to be involved... It sucks.

Obviously, the more I think about it the more it hits home this thing ain't happening without the Rangers. The NHL will not organise a Winter Classic just for the Devils. If there is a WC in the NY area, it will include New York's most popular hockey team. The Devs aren't sexy enough and they don't have enough fans to get their own Winter Classic. So, a Classic at the Meadowlands would be more about finally bringing it to the New York area, the biggest market, and an original six team. But since it's in New Jersey and not NYC itself, the NHL would have to let the Devils organise the thing, because they are the Jersey team and the natural host. So, when you think about it, it was actually pretty well thought by the officials - they made sure there is a NY-area Winter Classic involving the Devils, or there is no NY-area Winter Classic at all.

Of course, I'd take any team over the Rangers. But realistically speaking, if the chances of this thing happening are probably not big, chances of it happening without the Rangers are nill.

Edited by Revan

Obviously, the more I think about it the more it hits home this thing ain't happening without the Rangers. The NHL will not organise a Winter Classic just for the Devils. If there is a WC in the NY area, it will include New York's most popular hockey team. The Devs aren't sexy enough and they don't have enough fans to get their own Winter Classic. So, a Classic at the Meadowlands would be more about finally bringing it to the New York area, the biggest market, and an original six team. But since it's in New Jersey and not NYC itself, the NHL would have to let the Devils organise the thing, because they are the Jersey team and the natural host. So, when you think about it, it was actually pretty well thought by the officials - they made sure there is a NY-area Winter Classic involving the Devils, or there is no NY-area Winter Classic at all.

Of course, I'd take any team over the Rangers. But realistically speaking, if the chances of this thing happening are probably not big, chances of it happening without the Rangers are nill.

I agree...the chances without the Rangers are slim to none....Devs Rangers at Yankee Stadium would be a hit....atmosphere would be amazing!

I agree...the chances without the Rangers are slim to none....Devs Rangers at Yankee Stadium would be a hit....atmosphere would be amazing!

Yeah, I'd LOVE that. :wub: Too bad if they ever make a WC at the Yankee Stadium, it won't involve New Jersey, because while we need the Rangers for our potential Winter Classic, they don't need us to make it in New York..

Yeah, I'd LOVE that. :wub: Too bad if they ever make a WC at the Yankee Stadium, it won't involve New Jersey, because while we need the Rangers for our potential Winter Classic, they don't need us to make it in New York..

If the NHL does not get Marty in a WC before he retires, SHAME ON THEM! NHL PLAYER OF THE DECADE/GREATEST GOALIE OF ALL TIME/One of the best players of all time period deserves to play in one of these before it is all said and done. Maybe we will increase our chances if we win the 2010 Stanley Cup...

If it's going to be as far south as Baltimore, why not Caps/Rags at Nationals Stadium in DC? Or how about on the national Mall? The biggest problem with having it in DC (or even Baltimore) will be the weather. This year it will be cold, but it just as easily be 50 degrees on January 1.

I also heard that the NHL won't use any NFL stadiums - they like the hype and hoopla connected with setting up the rink and the festivities that they have created around it - it worked well in Chicago last year and they're doing it in Boston this week. They can't do that in an NFL stadium because of the schedule - they can't get long term access to it when the teams are still playing regular season games.

either Camden, or Nationals stadiums.

50 degrees is fine weather for an outdoor game, I think

Regarding weather - the Rangers and Kings played an outdoor pre-season game in the late 80s or early 90s in Las Vegas, with the temperature at puck drop around 80 degrees. It doesn't quite LOOK right, but if it was doable then, it's certainly doable now.

The main idea is to have the game out in the cold winter elements where the sport was born. The game each year is marketed around that aspect. To change that would be a bad move on the NHL's part.

The main idea is to have the game out in the cold winter elements where the sport was born. The game each year is marketed around that aspect. To change that would be a bad move on the NHL's part.

I agree - just pointing out that a game in Washington DC is feasible, even though it could potentially be 50ish degrees in DC on New Years Day. They're gonna run out of northern US cities to showcase after NYC, and I'm not sure they'd put it in a Canadian city just yet - though it would be interesting to see how the ratings of a Red Wings/Canadians or Rangers/Maple Leafs type game would be.

Devils/Islanduuhs at RedBull Arena :D

Keep in mind they want good teams to be a part of the game.. The Islanders will get it when Tavares is a bit older and really owning the NHL, but the team itself has a long way to go.. Ha I completely forgot about Red Bull Arena.. Maybe the Devils can host their own winter classic there.. We'll just cut the ice out of Prudential and move it over piece by piece

While I tend to agree with the thought that the Devils don't have much of a chance of getting a WC without the Rangers, I also think it could be possible if the Caps are the opponent (going with the obvious Ovechkin angle).

If the east-west pattern holds up, we're due for another western game next year anyway, and we won't be having a Devils-at-Giants-Stadium discussion until 2011. I'm going to guess Stars-Avs at Coors Field.

How are they ever going to have a Winter Classic in the new football stadium in the meadowlands at least not on January 1st? (I'm a Giants fan and I know it won't be named "GIANTS" stadium :P ) The last I looked the NFL plays the first week of January (That's not even the playoffs yet.) Two NFL teams will play there. It takes at least a week to 10 days to set up the rink. Doesn't seam feasable. Of course, the NHL will try to kill the cash cow. So the Valentine's Day Sweethearts Dance is a possibility. :evil:

Hypothetically speaking, the Devils could get a Winter Classic without the Rangers IF .... they're the road team. Devils/Caps in Nationals Park. Devils/Red Wings at the Big House. Devils/Habs, Devils/Leafs, Devils/Wild, etc. Think outside the realm of the Devils only playing at Yankee or Giants Stadium and there are possibilities (albeit, probably slim possibilities). Although, considering that the Bruins and Flyers were two top teams in the East last year and that the Devils and Caps are two top teams in the East thus far this year, maybe that isn't so far fetched. Brodeur vs. Ovechkin ... it could be sold.

Remember the 2nd outdoor game which will happen most likely in Calgary involving another Canadian team (most likely either Vancouver or Edmonton) that the CBC is pushing.

Its common knowledge that the NHL wanted Washington in the Fenway game but NBC blocked it wanting a more "nationally recognized" team in the Flyers. If NBC throws a block at Ovechkin there's no way in hell New Jersey is going to be involved in one of these games. NBC only cares for Pittsburgh, Philly, the Rangers, Detroit, Boston, and Chicago.

For a new Giants Stadium game you're looking at both the Giants and Jets being on the road the last 2 games (not happening since they pretty much have to alternate home/road every week unless there's a MNF game involved). The Yankee Stadium bowl game might not matter if its a pre-Christmas bowl game and would give the rink a week and a half to be set-up.

My guess for future US Winter Classics:

- @ Yankee Stadium (Rangers vs. Original 6)

- @ Nationals Park (Capitals vs. Penguins)

- @ Comerica Park (Red Wings vs. Original 6)

I also picture a push to have a game like this in either Dallas, LA, or San Francisco as the technology improves.

Edited by mdsieve

Remember the 2nd outdoor game which will happen most likely in Calgary involving another Canadian team (most likely either Vancouver or Edmonton) that the CBC is pushing.

Its common knowledge that the NHL wanted Washington in the Fenway game but NBC blocked it wanting a more "nationally recognized" team in the Flyers. If NBC throws a block at Ovechkin there's no way in hell New Jersey is going to be involved in one of these games. NBC only cares for Pittsburgh, Philly, the Rangers, Detroit, Boston, and Chicago.

For a new Giants Stadium game you're looking at both the Giants and Jets being on the road the last 2 games (not happening since they pretty much have to alternate home/road every week unless there's a MNF game involved). The Yankee Stadium bowl game might not matter if its a pre-Christmas bowl game and would give the rink a week and a half to be set-up.

I think the problem with the Yankee Bowl is that it is supposed to be between Christmas and New Years...

Me too. But the Giants and Jets have been no help in that regard.

Yea definitely. I actually just wrote a 20-page paper on the topic. It was supposed to only be 5-7 pages but I couldn't shorten it enough haha. My professor (who happens to be the NJ state climatologist) didn't seem to mind, he said he admired my passion and gave me an A anyway. Fun paper to finish college with. :)

I also picture a push to have a game like this in either Dallas, LA, or San Francisco as the technology improves.

First of all I don't think it's "common knowledge" that the NHL dropped the Capitals for the Flyers due to national recognition. I think the Caps would draw better than the Flyers, especially this year. There must have been circumstances, possibly saving them for later, or possibly because of some problem the Capitals have. Second, I don't see why we couldn't be chosen with the Capitals, because we've been chosen for NBC games as well. Of course we've been snubbed, but only because of market-based scheduling, not because they don't "care" about other teams. The pull for a Caps/Devs game would be as good as any winter classic, depending on the venue.

And I don't really agree with your possible predictions, maybe because I legitimately don't think the NHL will go back on their claim that all teams will get chances at winter classics and there won't be initial repeat teams. They need to use the big-market teams to get the event turned into an annual tradition, then in 5ish years, they assume people will watch it out of tradition. I see no reason why the Devils can't be chosen this year or next year, as a home team or an away team. And the draw of Brodeur's final seasons and Lou's influence certainly don't hurt our chances.

Remember that Buffalo already hosted one of these. As long as the team can be labeled as "fast-paced" or "exciting" like that Sabres team was, I don't think the league would mind having it in a smaller market again. And Washington can be labeled as both of those and more, and it's also a pretty good-sized market. Bigger than Buffalo, at least.

For some reason, though, NBC really has a thing for the Flyers. Remember last year when they bumped the Sharks/Devils game (which could have been game of the year) for Flyers/Rangers (a meaningless blowout)? Then, a few weeks later, they bumped another game to feature the Flyers and Rags yet again. I'm glad NBC will get its Flyers fix out of the way this year and open up the Winter Classic to some other teams in the years to come.

I don't think the league is in any rush to have repeats teams yet. The Pens and Wings have already been featured. For once the league really doesn't have a shortage of stars to showcase. It would be foolish and reflect poorly on the league if they start feeding us the same teams/players just a few years into this "Classic."