10 Reasons To Keep Kovy

Neb00rs

Well Jagr decided to stay in Russia for one more year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5165917

The HF Boards have rumor of Jokinen going to Russia next year.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=772510

Maybe Kovi will end up in Russia.

Jagr wasn't leaving Russia. Period.

Jokinen is saying he's not going right now, but it's up in the air.

If Kovy wants dinero = Russia, but I doubt it.

Again, I'll post a link on stuff he said a couple years ago about playing in Russia, moving his family, etc...

interview

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's saying break the bank for him? The argument in this thread is about A. Whether he's worth it at his price B. Whether he can end up being a good player for us. That's all perfectly legitimate discussion.

You do not know his price and cannot, regardless of what you think.

You do not know if he can be a good player for the Devils or not, and cannot, regardless of what you think :evil:

No one is allowing for those two small facts. It's all dump him/keep him black/white. If you think you all are engaging in some productive debate re-read the thread.

You started out rational and I have no idea why, fell into this stupid argument sounding like Lou should go out on a limb to get Kovalchuk - whether you meant to or not you were sucked in. All that needed to be written was a simple "not even trying to retain the guy is crazy talk and lacks all hockey sense."

It's just some dude spouting off his personal unsubstantiated opinion and deserves little to no comment from anyone, beyond - "are you nucking futts?" or if you want to be diplomatic "Well - clearly you have some personal issues with the guy and that's cool but I disagree."

Trying to convince someone of something they are so clearly personally set against is - I don't know -- to me not so amusing - but whatever :noclue: go for it - knock yourself out :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I've got a Rolston #14 for ya. Came off the presses the day he was traded for Claude Lemieux. No joke.

Maybe if Rolston goes back to 14 he'll be a good player again.

You do not know his price and cannot, regardless of what you think.

You do not know if he can be a good player for the Devils or not, and cannot, regardless of what you think :evil:

No one is allowing for those two small facts. It's all dump him/keep him black/white. If you think you all are engaging in some productive debate re-read the thread.

You started out rational and I have no idea why, fell into this stupid argument sounding like Lou should go out on a limb to get Kovalchuk - whether you meant to or not you were sucked in. All that needed to be written was a simple "not even trying to retain the guy is crazy talk and lacks all hockey sense."

It's just some dude spouting off his personal unsubstantiated opinion and deserves little to no comment from anyone, beyond - "are you nucking futts?" or if you want to be diplomatic "Well - clearly you have some personal issues with the guy and that's cool but I disagree."

Trying to convince someone of something they are so clearly personally set against is - I don't know -- to me not so amusing - but whatever :noclue: go for it - knock yourself out :evil:

We don't really know anything that's going to happen in the future. So why don't we just shut down the debate on this whole site?

Awe see now -- I feel like it's obvious while a little high on the guy (and I can see it as justifiably so) - you are and have always been correct -- but then these weirdos who hate Kovalchuk are tricking you into going too far in your support just - you're just trying to make it clear how nuts they are but in the process you're weakening your position is all, and then they almost sound like they know what they're talking about. then tri tried to step in and shut them down -- but then it's REALLY clear how pointless it all is... it's just annoying to see an opinion I share getting all convoluted with... :unsure: dare I say the dreaded smoke and mirrors kind of debate that makes no sense but is delivered with such conviction you have to step back and just think WTF? And when tri argues back you think SERIOUSLY??? What are you even FIGHTING against? In some threads the arguments get so off track that it's goofy! Like it might as well be "you just said Canadian bacon is NOT ham in name alone and THEREFORE I am right and Kovachuk should NOT be signed at any cost!" :huh:

Debate is fun, sharing opinions is fun but I hate it when guys get their testes in a crinkle and yank things so far off topic just so they sort of seem like they might have had a valid point somewhere down the line... and some idiot always has to AGREE with the moron... like he made some kind of SENSE?!?!? Hmeh - I guess it is sort of amusing but in a very frustrating way - my brain gets sort of mental blue balls.

-- but then these weirdos who hate Kovalchuk are tricking you into going too far in your support just - you're just trying to make it clear how nuts they are but in the process you're weakening your position is all, and then they almost sound like they know what they're talking about.

I don't have a problem wasting the energy in over-enthusiastically supporting Kovy. :D

Edited by ben00rs

Awe see now -- I feel like it's obvious while a little high on the guy (and I can see it as justifiably so) - you are and have always been correct -- but then these weirdos who hate Kovalchuk are tricking you into going too far in your support just - you're just trying to make it clear how nuts they are but in the process you're weakening your position is all, and then they almost sound like they know what they're talking about. then tri tried to step in and shut them down -- but then it's REALLY clear how pointless it all is... it's just annoying to see an opinion I share getting all convoluted with... :unsure: dare I say the dreaded smoke and mirrors kind of debate that makes no sense but is delivered with such conviction you have to step back and just think WTF? And when tri argues back you think SERIOUSLY??? What are you even FIGHTING against? In some threads the arguments get so off track that it's goofy! Like it might as well be "you just said Canadian bacon is NOT ham in name alone and THEREFORE I am right and Kovachuk should NOT be signed at any cost!" :huh:

Debate is fun, sharing opinions is fun but I hate it when guys get their testes in a crinkle and yank things so far off topic just so they sort of seem like they might have had a valid point somewhere down the line... and some idiot always has to AGREE with the moron... like he made some kind of SENSE?!?!? Hmeh - I guess it is sort of amusing but in a very frustrating way - my brain gets sort of mental blue balls.

Yikes...are YOU actually trying to paint yourself as the poster girl for rationality and sensibility? That's actually the funniest thing in this thread by far. I give you credit for one thing...your posts in this thread are actually making some degree of sense, which is pretty rare for you.

I'm neither a moron, a weirdo nor an idiot (and if you're talking about me, then say so), and no, based on what I saw while he was here, I'm not the biggest Kovalchuk supporter out there. I stand by my observations that, while Kovalchuk may be a very talented player with tremendous physical gifts, his lack of overall hockey awareness and instincts give me pause, and I wonder if these are things that he can learn. I do agree with Tri that, if he does sign here for big money and it doesn't work out, his contract won't be impossible to unload (if Sather can unload a trainwreck deal like Gomer's, there's little doubt that Lou could find a taker for Ilya). But no matter how I look at it, he screams "HUGE RISK" to me, though if he was willing to sign for a sizeable discount, I'd have to take the "HUGE" part out of the equation.

I really hope we bring back Kovy. A full season here should help him out more.

Totally agree Pru!

A FULL season with Kovy will be amazing. Cannot wait as I believe Lou will resign Kovy. For the less than two months he was here he did very well and led the team in the playoffs. Kovy was involved in 6 of the 9 goals the Devils scored in the playoffs and he was all over the ice playing his ass off. Too bad we didn't see that with some of the other veterans to help Kovy out on the ice. Cannot rely on Parise and Kovy to do it every night. The other veterans like Elias, Langenbrunner, Zajac, Martin and Rolston didn't even show up in the playoffs to contribute with Kovy and Parise. The Flyers were all over Parise in every game to take him out of the game and none of the veterans stepped up their games.

Totally agree Pru!

A FULL season with Kovy will be amazing. Cannot wait as I believe Lou will resign Kovy. For the less than two months he was here he did very well and led the team in the playoffs. Kovy was involved in 6 of the 9 goals the Devils scored in the playoffs and he was all over the ice playing his ass off. Too bad we didn't see that with some of the other veterans to help Kovy out on the ice. Cannot rely on Parise and Kovy to do it every night. The other veterans like Elias, Langenbrunner, Zajac, Martin and Rolston didn't even show up in the playoffs to contribute with Kovy and Parise. The Flyers were all over Parise in every game to take him out of the game and none of the veterans stepped up their games.

Hey, when do I get to rewrite the history books? Led the team in the playoffs, my left nut!

Hey, when do I get to rewrite the history books? Led the team in the playoffs, my left nut!

He did lead the team in the playoffs, not to success mind you, but he was a leader. He set an example by putting 150% into each game and played his heart out. His intensity level was very refreshing.

I would like kovy to stay here but remember ZACH PARISE! We need to sign this guy longterm next summer!I konw he is RFA so he doesent have much choice to sign long-term.(I know he wants to stay)

And kovy will have to play more "devil-type". But maybe with macLean coming in...

Edited by Devs3cups

I would like kovy to stay here but remember ZACH PARISE! We need to sign this guy longterm next summer!I konw he is RFA so he doesent have much choice to sign long-term.(I know he wants to stay)

And kovy will have to play more "devil-type". But maybe with macLean coming in...

Do we need to save money to sign Zach? Yes. But if we show Zach that he's going to have to get the scoring done on his own is he going to want to stay?

He did lead the team in the playoffs, not to success mind you, but he was a leader. He set an example by putting 150% into each game and played his heart out. His intensity level was very refreshing.

LOL. He did everything the Flyers wanted.

I'm completely up in the air on signing Kovy. I would love to have him stay for many years but I also think building a team where your 3 best players and top money makers are natural LWs is flawed. That being said, if you're ever going to spend $$$ on an elite player in the UFA market, I think this is the summer to do it for 2 reasons:

1. Relatively little competition since most of the other top teams (i.e. desirable destinations) are tight against the cap.

2. IMO after a few years of stagnating, the cap will start making significant increases each summer starting at the end of 2010-11 season. The recession is starting to ease up and hockey is becoming more popular so theres no way the NHL doesn't see a significant increase in revenue next season leading to a higher cap in 2011-12. This is significant because in the first 2 seasons coming out of the lockout, there were several contracts that seemed a bit high when signed but with the dramatic rise in the cap each summer, they were good value by the following summer. Look at Niedermayer, Lou offered him the max which would have been a big hit at first but within 2 seasons, guys like Brian Campbell were getting bigger contracts.

With the Devils flameout in the playoffs, Kovy's value might also be as low as it's ever going to get.

Edited by PhillyDevil

LOL. He did everything the Flyers wanted.

He did everything the Flyers wanted? No, not true. But ok let's say it is. I didn't say otherwise, I just said that he did lead this team during the playoffs and that his intensity level was refreshing. I didn't say he outsmarted the Flyers did I?

Edited by ben00rs

Don't mind Manta, he has a blind delusion that it's still pre-lockout and you don't need actual offensive talent to win hockey games in the NHL

he's also convinced the Devils have clutch players and Jamie Langenbrunner can lead ants to a picnic and hockey players in the playoffs, and that 2 goals in 3 playoff series is clutch, unless you happen to be a Russian left wing, then leading your team in scoring (in fact he had as many points as players 2,3 AND 4 on the score sheet)

he might believe the tooth fairy is real still :lol:

Don't mind Manta, he has a blind delusion that it's still pre-lockout and you don't need actual offensive talent to win hockey games in the NHL

he's also convinced the Devils have clutch players and Jamie Langenbrunner can lead ants to a picnic and hockey players in the playoffs, and that 2 goals in 3 playoff series is clutch, unless you happen to be a Russian left wing, then leading your team in scoring (in fact he had as many points as players 2,3 AND 4 on the score sheet)

So THAT explains it!

If that's how your rationalizing this, so be it.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

We make the playoffs and then crash and burn in the 1st round?

Sign him.

This is true. It's not like we've been successful the last couple years and as soon as we added Kovy we lost in the first round. The addition of Kovy is not what made us lose in the first round. The problem is that we still need more elements. Also, the worst thing that happens is he's terrible for us and we trade him away.

Chances are this offseason that we will get rid of our garbage, sign Kovy, sign a $2.5-3M center, sign a good defensmen and come out flying next season. Will Kovy continue to be a point a game guy? I don't think so.

Kovalchuk's still got some peak years left. So a point-per-game should be attainable. When healthy, he's one of the best snipers in the league. For the Devils, if they could re-sign him for say 5-6 years and land another center, that would bolster their offense. The dilemma for them is losing Martin. Plus Parise's contract expires next year. He deserves a significant raise.