New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- IK wanted to come back to New Jersey cause he loved his experienced with the team last year but money was also a issue.

- Kovalchuk will play the full 2 minutes on the PP and will Qb our PP... GARANTEED.

- The Devils are planning to play a more "offensive" system and will let their offensive stars show off their talent (Parise, IK, Elias, etc) instead of playing a more "conservative" system. That's one of the things IK wanted to know when negotiating with Lou

Kovy quarterbacking with Arnott in front of the net sounds like a good idea.

I knew Kovy had concerns about the system. Hearing that the Devils will open up the play is pretty exciting.

Care to link your source there buddy or is that just speculation?

Care to link your source there buddy or is that just speculation?

Source has already been linked.

Edit: Well, it was. Post from HockeysFuture summary of a radio interview. Can't find it now.

Edited by msweet

Want a good read? On HF, go check the general Kovy thread. Every "hockey expert" is whinnig about how Lou circumnavigated the cap with this deal...

...while true to an extent...the devils were definitely not the first team to do this.

And quite frankly...why wouldn't the kings match this deal? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as hell they didn't. But at 6m hit...I feel like they definitely could have..

LA Times: Kings' Lombardi: 'I don't think it's any surprise' Devils won Kovalchuk

It’s believed the Kings’ offer was around $80 million for 15 years. They said they wouldn’t go to $100 million because they want to retain salary cap space to re-sign stellar defenseman Drew Doughty, who can become a restricted free agent July 1, as well as to retain Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds while also adding pieces to upgrade their offense. ...

“We left our best offer out there on Thursday and it was a yes or no. There wasn’t really that much to talk about,” he said.

I agree with Deadspin, these type of deals are crap and should never have been allowed.

Since they have been allowed I'm glad the Devils have one, as it's a big competitive advantage to have.

I agree. The CBA should either limit the spread of a deal (e.g., the smallest yearly salary cannot be less than x% of the largest), or require the total cap hit and total salary paid to be equalized if a player retires early (i.e., teams would have to "pay back" the cap in the years after a player on a front loaded deal retires).

I really thought Kovalchuk was as good as gone when he flew out to LA. But this is obviously great news, especially if the #'s being thrown around are correct. I'm not worried about Parise going anywhere so just thinking about both he and Kovy being locked up long term, well it's a pretty grand day to be a Devils fan. Now some of the dead weight will have to be booted as well. This team really needed a nice kick in the ass and Lou has delivered that big time this summer.

I believe this is the article with bob hartley commenting on his talks with Kovalchuk.

it's in French so if there is anyone on that took some years and can translate or is good with those online one heres the link

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/kovalchuk-avait-adore-son-sejour-au-new-jersey-23145.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ckac.com%2Fhockey%2Fnouvelles%2Fkovalchuk-avait-adore-son-sejour-au-new-jersey-23145.html&sl=fr&tl=en

I believe this is the article with bob hartley commenting on his talks with Kovalchuk.

it's in French so if there is anyone on that took some years and can translate or is good with those online one heres the link

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/kovalchuk-avait-adore-son-sejour-au-new-jersey-23145.html

You mean this isn't good enough?

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ckac.com%2Fhockey%2Fnouvelles%2Fkovalchuk-avait-adore-son-sejour-au-new-jersey-23145.html&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

(CKAC Sports) - According to the chronicler Bob Hartley, Devils collected the fruits of the transaction which brought Ilya Kovalchuk to the New Jersey last February.

Bob Hartley would not be surprised to see a contract of such a dimension.

“Lou Lamoriello invents ways of writing contracts and it is one of the most creative managing directors of the LNH. When one has the well analyzed details, one will see whether Devils are well put for several years and the future says to us if Devils saw just. ”

These CBAs are contracts drawn up by lawyers and cut throat businessmen - there's no 'letter of the law/spirit of the law" issue here. There are only businessmen who know what the boundaries are and will work their advantage in any way, shape, or form they can - and business men who don't/won't.

Basically it says that Kovalchuk loved his time in Jersey, talks with the Kings (after their 15yr, $80milion offer) were getting there, but weren't where Kovy wanted them to be, and that Lou is one of the more creative GMs in the leauge when it comes to writing contracts and playing with the cap, so the writer believes that if anybody can make this all work, its him.

Edited by RSC

These CBAs are contracts drawn up by lawyers and cut throat businessmen - there's no 'letter of the law/spirit of the law" issue here. There are only businessmen who know what the boundaries are and will work their advantage in any way, shape, or form they can - and business men who don't/won't.

Ya, but there is, I believe, a good of the league clause where the NHL can void any contract it believes is not in the best interest of the league. It should have done that with the first of the monstrously front loaded contracts, that would have prevented the rest.

I agree with Deadspin, these type of deals are crap and should never have been allowed.

Since they have been allowed I'm glad the Devils have one, as it's a big competitive advantage to have.

Should these deals not happen? Of course not. But you can't fault the Devils for taking advantage of a perfectly legit loophole. If you don't want this to happen then make rules against it.

Sorry I didn't repost the link there CADevilsFan.

In other hip hop news:

Can someone cue me in on how Kovy's price is only 6 mil per if he is reported to make 10 mil. over the first 8 seasons? I'm not too hip to all the ins and outs of the cap.

6 million dollar cap hit. (102m/17yr) - small money on the back end

I was just thinking of the possible ways that the CBA could deal with contracts like this and most of them are just not practical because they would have to either give exceptions for current ones or SEVERELY hamstring the teams that gave them out.

The solution I came up with seems like it would work out and could be implemented retroactively without to much pain.

Make it like the over 35 rule where the cap hit counts against the team for every year of the contract no matter whether the player retires or not. Those kind of dead contracts could be used benificially by teams nearing bankruptcy by getting them over the floor for nothing and could allow teams with higher payrolls to get high profile free agents as well as keep homegrown stars once they become UFA

Should these deals not happen? Of course not. But you can't fault the Devils for taking advantage of a perfectly legit loophole. If you don't want this to happen then make rules against it.

6 million dollar cap hit. (102m/17yr) - small money on the back end

I see that but the details are 8 years 10 mil, 7.5 each year after.

I'm confused.