Devils Goal Song

Neb00rs

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wont go anytime soon. I do agree it has to though. But too many fans seem to like it. I had more of a problem with the Rangers Suck when we werent even playing the Rags.

Mike

I'm sorry, I missed most of that. I puked at "trendy" and fell asleep at "soccer".

You may not like soccer but billions in the world do. The music makes it a party like atmosphere. I guess that's something the rock couldn't use though...Keep on banging your head to metal, that sh!t sucks.

Great Idea,

Anyone think Devils fans could do something like the "roll call" chant similar to what the yankees fans do from the bleachers? Which ever starting line up at the start of the game, we chant each player?

I would love that idea

We had a soccer song four years ago in Ole and, while I loved it, it seems few others did.

I actually loved that song too. The song is from one of my favorite punk bands and they are also from NJ, The Bouncing Souls. :dance:

I actually loved that song too. The song is from one of my favorite punk bands and they are also from NJ, The Bouncing Souls. :dance:

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I liked it so much, it was one of my favorite songs in my teenage years.

Re: the roll call thing, I remember at the St. Patrick's Day game, some of the guys in 209 spent pretty much the entire first period doing a roll call:

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

Then the Let's Go Devils chant

This literally went on with every roster player (strangely, not Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, which I was looking forward to), and the coaches, and Lou.

I could see it getting old if that happens every game, but it was friggin HILARIOUS that day. I'm sure the large quantities of beer and Jameson's probably helped. :lol:

the "you suck" is really cheesy. it has to go.

Which section does the "you suck" the most?

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I liked it so much, it was one of my favorite songs in my teenage years.

Re: the roll call thing, I remember at the St. Patrick's Day game, some of the guys in 209 spent pretty much the entire first period doing a roll call:

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

ILYA! (KOVALCHUK!)

Then the Let's Go Devils chant

This literally went on with every roster player (strangely, not Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, which I was looking forward to), and the coaches, and Lou.

I could see it getting old if that happens every game, but it was friggin HILARIOUS that day. I'm sure the large quantities of beer and Jameson's probably helped. :lol:

Awesome!

Can't we have a chant that is at least somewhat original? The roll-call is just plucked from the Yankees and at least the outfielders play near the bleachers. Here, our equivelent of the bleachers is in the rafters and I doubt the players will hear us from the ice.

I do agree the Rangers suck whistle-chant is dumb. Can only be used when we actually play the Rags.

And with all these great ideas it's sad that we stick with it. I wish there was a way to stop it but many fans enjoy it - why else would they chant "you suck"?

Only because they haven't seen these great ideas.

I'm thinking we gotta get the big screen operator to flash up "HEY" and the "scorers name" during the "Hey you suck" chant so that people catch on to it.

Only because they haven't seen these great ideas.

I'm thinking we gotta get the big screen operator to flash up "HEY" and the "scorers name" during the "Hey you suck" chant so that people catch on to it.

Another good idea Masked Fan. Now, who's gonna be the one to figure out how to get in touch/write a letter to the Devils?

How 'bout vic rattlehead just walks in there and tells 'em???

I might have to request an audience with Mr V next time I'm in Newark!!

Too much is being made of this "You Suck" thing. It really just..isn't that important. I'm all for a different chant or whatever, but it had best be a damn good change. Ole sucked. It definitely didn't put anyone in a 'party mood'.

Don't simply change it to something unoriginal because a few people are 'embarrassed' by it. The people who judge our fanbase by our goal chant...why would we even care what they think? It's obvious they don't intend to look into our fanbase anymore than what they hear and see on TV. That's like someone assuming every philly fan is as bad as the bastard who barfed on that dude at the phillies game (wait...bad example, they all are :cheers: ). But, you get my point.

Too much is being made of this "You Suck" thing. It really just..isn't that important. I'm all for a different chant or whatever, but it had best be a damn good change. Ole sucked. It definitely didn't put anyone in a 'party mood'.

Don't simply change it to something unoriginal because a few people are 'embarrassed' by it. The people who judge our fanbase by our goal chant...why would we even care what they think? It's obvious they don't intend to look into our fanbase anymore than what they hear and see on TV. That's like someone assuming every philly fan is as bad as the bastard who barfed on that dude at the phillies game (wait...bad example, they all are :cheers: ). But, you get my point.

It actually really does matter to me and many other fans. I care about how our fanbase portrays themselves, especially in comparison to Ranger and Flyer fans. I feel like we slip down to their level with the chant and it really does bother me - someone who goes to many games during the year.

Edited by ben00rs

It actually really does matter to me and many other fans. I care about how our fanbase portrays themselves, especially in comparison to Ranger and Flyer fans. I feel like we slip down to their level with the chant and it really does bother me - someone who goes to many games during the year.

It's just two stupid words. They aren't racist, homophobic, sexist or bigoted in any way. They aren't accompanied by obscene gestures or physical threats/violence. Where I come from, that's called good, clean fun. And if other people don't like it, it's probably because they're hearing it right after we score on their team.

As long as it isn't hurting anybody, what's the big fuggin deal? We aren't talking about fights, puke, booing Santa, throwing stuff at players ... I mean, if the most offensive thing the New Jersey Devils' fanbase does is yell "You Suck!" after a goal, I'd say that's pretty tame.

It's just two stupid words. They aren't racist, homophobic, sexist or bigoted in any way. They aren't accompanied by obscene gestures or physical threats/violence. Where I come from, that's called good, clean fun. And if other people don't like it, it's probably because they're hearing it right after we score on their team.

As long as it isn't hurting anybody, what's the big fuggin deal? We aren't talking about fights, puke, booing Santa, throwing stuff at players ... I mean, if the most offensive thing the New Jersey Devils' fanbase does is yell "You Suck!" after a goal, I'd say that's pretty tame.

+1

This post is just full of win. And logic.

Absolutely agree, some people take this way too seriously.

I agree it is pretty tame. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't bother me and many other fans. You say it isn't hurting anybody but you're wrong. It hurts our fanbase by making us look bad...if I hadn't been a Devils fan already and I went to and game a people were cheering "You Suck" after a goal I personally would be really turned off by the experience. It also allows opposing teams fans to leave our stadium thinking that we are a$$holes...I don't want that stigma.

I like being conisdered a die hard Devils fan who is welcoming to other fans in our stadium. If I meet a Ranger fan in our stadium, I don't insult his team unless he's an a-hole. If it's just a regular guy I usually have a convo about hockey with him and treat his team with respect. I don't want to stand up and cheer "You Suck" after every goal, right in front of him. That way he'll leave the stadium with a high opinion of Devil fans. He'll tell other people how respectful Devils fans are and that Ranger fans can learn from them. Just sayin...

Edited by ben00rs

I agree it is pretty tame. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't bother me and many other fans. You say it isn't hurting anybody but you're wrong. It hurts our fanbase by making us look bad...if I hadn't been a Devils fan already and I went to and game a people were cheering "You Suck" after a goal I personally would be really turned off by the experience. It also allows opposing teams fans to leave our stadium thinking that we are a$$holes...I don't want that stigma.

I like being conisdered a die hard Devils fan who is welcoming to other fans in our stadium. If I meet a Ranger fan in our stadium, I don't insult his team unless he's an a-hole. If it's just a regular guy I usually have a convo about hockey with him and treat his team with respect. I don't want to stand up and cheer "You Suck" after every goal, right in front of him. That way he'll leave the stadium with a high opinion of Devil fans. He'll tell other people how respectful Devils fans are and that Ranger fans can learn from them. Just sayin...

To be 100% honest with you, I have never heard a single visiting fan complain about the "You Suck!" thing, and this is coming from someone who brings visiting fans with me and never shies away from conversing with any that I may come across. The only people I've ever heard complain about it are Devils fans, and most of their reasons center around what they think others think about it.

No fan should ever feel threatened at a game, no matter where you are or who you're rooting for. But if you're a visiting fan and you get upset by hearing the home crowd chant "You Suck!" toward the road team after they surrender a goal, then your sensibilities are too delicate to be attending road games.

To be 100% honest with you, I have never heard a single visiting fan complain about the "You Suck!" thing, and this is coming from someone who brings visiting fans with me and never shies away from conversing with any that I may come across. The only people I've ever heard complain about it are Devils fans, and most of their reasons center around what they think others think about it.

No fan should ever feel threatened at a game, no matter where you are or who you're rooting for. But if you're a visiting fan and you get upset by hearing the home crowd chant "You Suck!" toward the road team after they surrender a goal, then your sensibilities are too delicate to be attending road games.

Depends who the crowd next to you is. If it's a 20's crowd then maybe they don't go home saying how rude Devs fans were. But what I'm referring to is the Dad/Mom who takes his son/daughter to the game. You have a convo with the guy about hockey and then when the Devs score you cheer "You Suck". My guess is that the father is not gonna think to highly of Devs fans.