Another Cap Casualty?

Motorcity Devil

Associated Press

"GENEVA -- NHL veteran Richard Park has signed a three-year contract with Swiss club Geneva-Servette."

Richard Park is a good player, I was surprised to read this at first. Upon later reflection, I think this is just another example of an above-average player not getting paid what he is worth and going elsewhere to play / earn a living. The NHL should be trying to keep guys like this in the league... Too bad for the Islanders.

Full Article

Edited by Motor City Devil

Associated Press

"GENEVA -- NHL veteran Richard Park has signed a three-year contract with Swiss club Geneva-Servette."

Richard Park is a good d-man, I was surprised to read this at first. Upon later reflection, I think this is just another example of an above-average player not getting paid what he is worth and going elsewhere to play / earn a living. The NHL should be trying to keep guys like this in the league... Too bad for the Islanders.

Full Article

richard park plays the wing....

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the Islanders aren't really in a position where they need to squeeze guys out to comply with the cap.

You'd be right.. The decision to get rid of Park was just a matter of making room for younger guys shooting for a spot on the NHL roster. Why should Richard Park take the spot that Nino Niederreiter (5th overall this year) could take?

he's not really above average, and he's 34. hard to tell what he is because the Isles just throw cheap sh!t out there and see what sticks.

Yea his days of having value are over. Realistically he was a decent player at best and the peak of his career came in the early 2000's when he was playing worthy 2 way hockey on Minnesota's third line and PK.

Edited by ben00rs

Park wasn't going to help the Islanders reach the next level. Let them give the roster spot to another player who can help them.

Mike

Say what you want about his age or lack of value to a youth-based team. He worked his ass off every night. Great PK man too.

Which is more than I can say for our $5M albatross.

He was the NYI's John Madden minus the crucial cup experience.

Loved this guy's work ethic... if only for the fact that he was a surefire bet to lay in some SHG's consistently against the Rangers.

I remember this guy being a pain in the a$$ against us the last few seasons.

He always put in a shift, especially for a guy who isn't the biggest of players.

On the plus side its nice to see more NHL players making their way to European sides that arn't in Russia and Sweden. Hopefully the distribution will end up with more tallented players making their way to the UK.

Just to point out, in his 4 years on the Islanders:

Park played 26 games against the Devils. He had 3 goals and 5 assists and was a -10.

In his past 2 years, he played 10 games against the Devils. He had 1 goal and 1 assist and was a -6.

Edited by ben00rs