Kovalchuk healthy scratch??????

BlizzardCyclone

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never made sense that Lou agreed with bringing Kovalchuk to NJ. Management wanted him and basically told Lou to make it happen. Lou did it but he probably wasn’t happy. Now, McLean is lost as coach. Lou picked him because he knew McLean would be a good little puppet and not rock the status quo kool-aid canoe. So what happens? The player that Lou didn’t want is jerked around by the clueless Lou clone, moved to his opposite wing and stuck playing with 3rd liners. Do you think the player finally voiced his frustration to coach Idunno? Player gets benched and Lou turns to management and says…”see I told you it was a bad idea to sign him”. This ship is sinking fast and it ain’t pretty.

It never made sense that Lou agreed with bringing Kovalchuk to NJ. Management wanted him and basically told Lou to make it happen. Lou did it but he probably wasn’t happy. Now, McLean is lost as coach. Lou picked him because he knew McLean would be a good little puppet and not rock the status quo kool-aid canoe. So what happens? The player that Lou didn’t want is jerked around by the clueless Lou clone, moved to his opposite wing and stuck playing with 3rd liners. Do you think the player finally voiced his frustration to coach Idunno? Player gets benched and Lou turns to management and says…”see I told you it was a bad idea to sign him”. This ship is sinking fast and it ain’t pretty.

I think your version of what's happening is close to what's actually happening. I expect a Lamoriello resignation in 2011 to top it all off. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Lamoriello and Vanderbeek's offices.

Edited by Jerrydevil

If there are issues with Kovalchuk, they need to be addressed now. The Devils made a Rangeresque move in the offseason by throwing money at the biggest name in the offseason. So far we have gotten Rangeresque results. I prefer the coach tries to take drastic measures than to put his head in the sand and hope his attitude will change on its own.

lou is not a 'see i told you so' kind of guy, and this huge deal affects his legacy more than anything he's been involved with since the 2003 stanley cup.

I could agree with both of your statements. However...maybe he is unhappy precisely because this huge deal will affect his legacy and he doesn't think it will be in a positive way. Lou was/is a control freak who has or is rapidly losing control of his legacy. He has not been able to go deep in the playoffs for years, most people would use the post-lockout cliche as an example. He can no longer count on an aging Brodeur to make him look good. Revolving door coaching changes. The once stifling Devil's defense is swiss cheese and now this season we are, as someone said, a carnival sideshow. Lou should think about how these events will affect his legacy. Management wants results, butts in the seats and a return on their investment. I tend to agree with Jerrydevil that if things don't turn around for NJ, 2011 may be Lou's last.

TG might have finally broke the veil of secrecy:

A source said that Kovalchuk was late for a mandatory team meeting prior to Saturday’s optional morning skate at Prudential Center.

When I asked Kovalchuk if there was a team meeting before the morning skate, he said confirmed that there was. When I asked if he attended the meeting, he said, “no comment.”

MacLean also would not comment when I asked if Kovalchuk attended the team meeting

TG might have finally broke the veil of secrecy:

How about that, it wasn't a huge coach face-off. He isn't being traded, nor is he refusing to play.

He could pull stuff like this in ATL I'm sure, but not in jersey. Props to Johnny Mac on this one, hopefully this lights a fire under kovy's ass

The NY Post Confirmed that the move by Mac scratching Kovie was because he was 10 min late to a team meeting that morning.

NY Post

He got paid about $81,000 that night to watch the Devils lose 6-1 because he was 10 min late to a meeting.. Just saying

Edited by Colin226

To be fair to MacLean he needs to maintain discipline. If Kovalchuk gets off because he's Kovalchuk and let's say later Clarkson or Elia get scratched because of tardiness then that is detrimental to the solidarity of a team that is already having unity issues. Kovalchuk should be treated as equally and fairly as any other player on this team when it comes to rules and procedures. I'm sure there is a policy on tardiness to team meetings that has been in place with the Devils. Apparently this wasn't the first time Kovy was tardy. We don't want this to be the NBA or NFL where players decide that because they're a superstar they can do whatever the hell they want. Leave that stuff up to Ben Roethlisberger and Stephon Marbury.

I really wish that the difference between our best player (probably right now) playing and not playing when the team is on a ridiculous slump was more than just 10 minutes. It pisses me off that all summer we put up with his garbage and now we SHOULD be done but he doesn't have it in him to show up early...

[i'm trying to channel this anger at him because if I don't I'm going to get WAY too pissed off at Mac and management]

You are on a team. You dont come sauntering in late when everyone else is there not to mention the slump they are in. Want to play and earn your money......be on time if not early. Its one of the most disrespectful things to a team you can do I feel and after making everyone including the rest of the team and fans wait all summer long.....dont be a jackass.

Props to Mac. :cheers: