Phoenix's domino effect on Atlanta

'7'

Weekend wrap: Phoenix's domino effect on Atlanta; Stamkos, Kaberle contract updates

By Pierre LeBrun

The most critical week in the history of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise is potentially upon us.

I say potentially because, if there's one thing we've learned during this soap opera over the past 20 months, it's never to speak in definite terms when sizing up the situation in Glendale, Ariz.

Just three Saturdays ago, everyone involved in the process believed the sale would close without a hitch. That was before the Goldwater Institute finally made its impact. Now, the whole thing is hanging on by a thread.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5317/weekend-wrap-phoenixs-domino-effect-on-atlanta-stamkos-kaberle-contract-updates

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand the obsession with Winnipeg. People overlook the primary reason for awarding a market an NHL franchise: MONEY. Theres is no money in Winnipeg. It is an economically depressed city, very small corporate base, and would instantly become the league's smallest market, by quite a bit too. The NHL has already proven that hockey in the south has succeeded and is needed. There are several American cities that would be much better choices, such as Seattle, Portland, Houston.

It's amazing how just when we thought this Phoenix situation was finally over, everything goes to hell... I used to think that they could get a deal done, but it just seems like the critics want to keep it from happening more than the city and ownership want it to get done.

I dont understand the obsession with Winnipeg. People overlook the primary reason for awarding a market an NHL franchise: MONEY. Theres is no money in Winnipeg. It is an economically depressed city, very small corporate base, and would instantly become the league's smallest market, by quite a bit too. The NHL has already proven that hockey in the south has succeeded and is needed. There are several American cities that would be much better choices, such as Seattle, Portland, Houston.

Completely agree. For those that think this is a good idea... get past the sentimental aspect, and you'll realize how bad of an idea it is. Set foot in downtown Winnipeg and you will instantly change your mind.

Completely agree. For those that think this is a good idea... get past the sentimental aspect, and you'll realize how bad of an idea it is. Set foot in downtown Winnipeg and you will instantly change your mind.

I agree, I've been to Winnipeg recently and it's horrendous. They don't deserve an NHL team.

Hockey = Canada

if bettman move a current NHL team to another us city its ridiculous, most americans doesnt even care that much or even know hockey in the us

they showed some stats the other day... there's 3000 people watching the panthers games on tv... tampa 14 000... the habs have 900 000 people! i dont have the numbers for toronto and the rest but im damn sure its nailing most us ratings...

http://nhlnumbers.com/nationalities/

i mean check this out... more than half of the NHL players comes from canada, for most people in canada hockey are they LIFE, we all know how to skate, we all know the rules, we grew up on hockey its part of our lives. Its pissing me off SO BAD to see Bettman putting teams in the US where they dont give a sh!t and were like 49 peoples are showing to games... ridiculous

most americans doesnt even care about hockey, they like baseball, football, soccer even PING PONG more than hockey. take ur head of of ur ass bettman and bring teams to canada

Hockey = Canada

if bettman move a current NHL team to another us city its ridiculous, most americans doesnt even care that much or even know hockey in the us

they showed some stats the other day... there's 3000 people watching the panthers games on tv... tampa 14 000... the habs have 900 000 people! i dont have the numbers for toronto and the rest but im damn sure its nailing most us ratings...

http://nhlnumbers.com/nationalities/

i mean check this out... more than half of the NHL players comes from canada, for most people in canada hockey are they LIFE, we all know how to skate, we all know the rules, we grew up on hockey its part of our lives. Its pissing me off SO BAD to see Bettman putting teams in the US where they dont give a sh!t and were like 49 peoples are showing to games... ridiculous

most americans doesnt even care about hockey, they like baseball, football, soccer even PING PONG more than hockey. take ur head of of ur ass bettman and bring teams to canada

Oh yeah...what were they thinking putting teams in NJ, Philly, St. Louis, LA, Dallas, etc... Canada all the way! Only Canadiens love the sport! We want a team in Yellowknife! Contract the Devils, they dont sellout every game like they would in Yellowknife. Canada is so amazing. I luv Canada.

Oh yeah...what were they thinking putting teams in NJ, Philly, St. Louis, LA, Dallas, etc... Canada all the way! Only Canadiens love the sport! We want a team in Yellowknife! Contract the Devils, they dont sellout every game like they would in Yellowknife. Canada is so amazing. I luv Canada.

wow, you got to be 13 or still mad about Crosby's golden goal...

obviously im not saying that no teams should be put in the US, there's some really good cities but if you agree that it would have been better to put teams in florida, colombus, nashville, tampa, phoenix or atlanta where nobody seem to care when there's tons of fans waiting to get a team in Quebec, Winnipeg or wtv, cmon now

Bettman's job was to sell hockey to US... im okay with that but that there's only 6 Canadian teams and 24 us teams with bunch of them struggling with attendance and ratings on tv, its only common sense

Phoenix should move to Winnipeg and Atlanta to Quebec so that there's no changes in the conferences

Quebec more than phoenix should get one, its simply unbelievable the passion the Nordiques fans have, they showed many many times that they would support 110% and welcome back an NHL team, i know that most of you cant see it but around here its on tv everyday... they make all kind of activities just to show the NHL that they deserves a team. They sold out a pre-season game in quebec MTL vs NYI, they almost sold out arenas with people only watching an away game on the big screen. The Canadians Nordiques rivality is legendary there's nothing like it i can assure you

hear me i hate most hockey fans from quebec and they are the #1 reason i hate the Habs but they do deserve a team more than Atlanta, Phoenix, Colombus or tampa

=========

and taken from a good article

"NHL games involving a Canadian team on TSN averaged 714,000 viewers for the 2009 – 2010 season. Sportsnet averaged 656,000 and Hockey Night in Canada on CBC averaged 1.8 million.

The top 5 American markets were:

VIEWERSHIP

Top 5

Team - Average No. of Households

Pittsburgh - 105,000

Chicago - 89,000

Detroit - 76,000

Boston - 68,000

Philadelphia - 63,000

Bottom 5

Team - Average No. of Households

Tampa Bay - 14,000

Columbus - 10,000

Phoenix - 9,000

Atlanta - 6,000

Florida - 3,000

http://thehockeysweater.ca/2011/02/09/nhl-us-tv-numbers-not-a-pretty-picture/

Edited by SterioDesign

yup they lost it only because of their arenas. The fan base is still there

who's doing better now? Wild or Blue Jackets? Both introduced in 2001... well its the Wild cause they had the North Stars fan based already they didnt had to create one from almost nothing

obviously im not saying that no teams should be put in the US, there's some really good cities but if you agree that it would have been better to put teams in florida, colombus, nashville, tampa, phoenix or atlanta where nobody seem to care when there's tons of fans waiting to get a team in Quebec, Winnipeg or wtv, cmon now

I do agree that those cities are much better than Winnipeg, Quebec or any other potential Canadian city. Youre basing your point on your misperception and nothing else. Your arguement doesnt address anything towards the arguement. Youve basicallly said that Montrealers care very much about hockey, which i agree with.

yup they lost it only because of their arenas. The fan base is still there

They didnt just lose it because of their arenas. The then-weaker CN dollar played a major role. The corporate base is still the same weak base, and the market offered nothing towards the growth of the game.

I do agree that those cities are much better than Winnipeg, Quebec or any other potential Canadian city. Youre basing your point on your misperception and nothing else. Your arguement doesnt address anything towards the arguement. Youve basicallly said that Montrealers care very much about hockey, which i agree with.

wow lol can you please explain to me what my misperception is? then why those cities are better?

wow lol can you please explain to me what my misperception is? then why those cities are better?

The misperception that southern markets are automatically bad markets for the NHL.

Those metropolitan areas are much wealthier, much larger, have large corporate bases, large potential in bringing in new fans and new fans from various growing demographics. Phoenix, for example, is the fastest growing city in the country, has a very diverse population. Succeeding in this market would be very fruitful for the league's growth and pockets.

From a sentimental perspective, I would personally love to see Quebec City have a team again. But realistically, it would add nothing to the league's financial growth and could easily turn into a liability dependent on the strength of the CN dollar.

They didnt just lose it because of their arenas. The then-weaker CN dollar played a major role. The corporate base is still the same weak base, and the market offered nothing towards the growth of the game.

yeah thats true tho, the exchange rate at the time killed them for sure

Have you been to Winnipeg? One of the most depressing cities I've ever been to, I couldn't wait to leave.

The only Canadian city I've been to that is worse then Winnipeg is Hamilton, my god that city is horrible.

The misperception that southern markets are automatically bad markets for the NHL.

Those metropolitan areas are much wealthier, much larger, have large corporate bases, large potential in bringing in new fans and new fans from various growing demographics. Phoenix, for example, is the fastest growing city in the country, has a very diverse population. Succeeding in this market would be very fruitful for the league's growth and pockets.

From a sentimental perspective, I would personally love to see Quebec City have a team again. But realistically, it would add nothing to the league's financial growth and could easily turn into a liability dependent on the strength of the CN dollar.

Alright fair enough, you sound smart and obviously not 13 now, really dont wan't to argue that much with another NJ fan here but seriously i still dont see it, i understand your point and all but my points are...

i dont even know and i dont want to talk out of my ass here... but im pretty sure hockey is barely in the top 5 sports in the US, you can correct me all you want but to put teams where there's already a football, basketball or baseball team is going to hurt an NHL team... rich people could possibly afford seasons tickets for 2-3 but families and students surely cant, im pretty sure there's way less interest too and that's what you need really to start with

Phoenix lost how much money so far though...? last time i heard it was something around 128 millions... its something about not having much revenues but its something else to have all the potential in the world on paper but having nothing to show for... plus with the tv ratings they have and the attendance... not too sure they'll make much profits in a near future... not too sure i will ever see them succeed from my own eyes