2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Wednesday 4/3
WHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#2 Kelowna defeated #7 Seattle 3-2 (OT) (Win Series 4-3)
Damon Severson D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

Epic series: Kelowna came back from a 3-0 deficit, 5th overtime game of the series, and 6th game to be decided by a goal! They will take on the 3 seed Kamloops next.

I listened to a few of the games and Severson had to step up even more than usual due to injuries on the blue line. Logged a ton of ice time and sounded like he blocked quite a few shots. Sounds like he had a great series and his numbers were solid: 7 GP 1-7-8 +3 8 PIM

2014 draft eligible C Tyson Baillie had a great series. Scored all 3 goals in the game 7 victory. Overall he had 7 goals, 5 assists, and a +5 rating in the 7 games.

Yeah, I think Merrill among the young D is the most likely to win an NHL roster spot.

fiesty: I only saw this on Twitter, but Seattle tied game 7 with 7 seconds left.  What a series.

I was listening to it on the WHL Kelowna radio feed and it honestly had me on the edge of my seat the whole time

It won't be this season, but he will definitely have a shot at making the club next year, especially if he keeps playing the way he has to start his career in Albany thus far.

yeah i was not assuming this season of course we cant even play Larsson at this moment lol

Yeah, I think Merrill among the young D is the most likely to win an NHL roster spot.

fiesty: I only saw this on Twitter, but Seattle tied game 7 with 7 seconds left.  What a series.

what do you think will likely happen to open room for the kids ? buying out A-Train is the most logical one to me. Not re-signing Harrold seems sad to me i kinda like him but i think he was some kind of stopgap for Urbom or Gelinas.

yeah i was not assuming this season of course we cant even play Larsson at this moment lol

what do you think will likely happen to open room for the kids ? buying out A-Train is the most logical one to me. Not re-signing Harrold seems sad to me i kinda like him but i think he was some kind of stopgap for Urbom or Gelinas.

Volch is getting bought out. That's gotta be one of our amnesty buyouts. If not him, who? The only other plausible option for a buyout is Sal, unless we're gonna buy out Zajac or Kovy, no one else is signed past next year besides Greene, who's got an extra year left over everyone else. This team is primed for a re-tool.

So, in a perfect world, we buy out Sal and Volch and let Urbom, Gelinas and Merrill fight for the spot open there. We probably resign Harrold unless we find a better #7 D for less than $1M. It's always good to have a vet as your extra. Don't want to be stuck if the young guns can't hack it yet and then you got no one to put in that you can trust if there's an injury.

Wow, Urbom and Merril look like monsters out there with their size.  I'd like to see Urbom getting a chance in the NHL next.  We haven't seen enough of him.  Then there's Whitney and Sislo, who I'm surprised we havent given shots yet.  I think these guys are much better call-up options than Sestito and Gionta. 

I'm not sure if they are willing to eat 8M+ on Volchenkov yet.  That's really up to Vanderbeek (and Lou, I suppose).  I also don't know what they'll do with Zidlicky, but I sure hope if he does stay that he only gets a 1 year deal.  Someone else will give him 2 years.  I also think there's not much chance Tallinder is here next year, much as I like him, and as much as he is better than Salvador, he seems to be the odd man out.  

So I could see next year's D being something like

Salvador (heavy sigh)-Fayne

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Harrold

But really the possibilities are endless.  I think people think that two of Fayne/Volchenkov/Harrold/Zidlicky/Tallinder won't be here but I am not fully convinced of this.

It was an unreal ending to regulation, especially since the radio announcer mentioned that Seattle could've been called for a penalty right before it and before that they apparently illegally impeded Kelowna from scoring on the open net...but that could've been homerism. For selfish reasons I was hoping Kelowna was going to hold on in regulation since Severson then would've finished a +2 with his assist being on the GWG. Still I'm just happy they found a way to pull it out. They essentially played game 7 with 4 defensemen due to injuries with one of the centers taking the odd shift on the blue line. I wish the WHL logged ice time because Severson has had a ton of it this year and it sounds like even more in the playoffs. Really excited about him.

The Devils will be fine in the future and will be built like Nashville and Phoenix, except we have better offensive players, but worse goaltending. We have a BIG and mobile defense. Larsson, Fayne, Merrill, Gelinas, Urbom and Severson are all 6 '3 or bigger. Then you have smaller guys like Scarlett and Burlon who could impress. 

Aside from Matteau Jr and Boucher, I dont think we have many NHL caliber offensive prospects. Even then, Boucher is very much a boom or bust type and Matteau may not have the highest ceiling. JJ, Henrique, Loktionov (thank God we picked him up!) and Matteau are the only young shoe ins who will be around in 3 years. I obviously want to make the playoffs, but if we missed and picked top 10 and stole a guy like Mackinnon, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Barkov, Domi, Monahan or Nichuskin, I'd be flippin' ecstatic. Luckily, a lot of teams need help on the blue line, so Jones, Nurse and Ristolainen could be taken earlier than anticipated. Even if we pick 12th, I'd like to see Lou be aggressive and move down a couple of spots to pursue one of the aforementioned prospects

Friday 4/5
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #10 Val-d'Or 10-1 (Lead Series 1-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 5 Shots, 2/3 Faceoffs

OHL Western Conference Semifinals
#4 Kitchener lost to #1 London 4-1 (Trail Series 1-0)
Ben Thomson LW: E

#3 Owen Sound lost to #2 Plymouth 4-1 (Trail Series 1-0)
Artur Gavrus C: E

AHL
Albany lost to Providence 4-1
Jon Merrill D: Goal, -2, 2 Shots* 3rd Star
Reid Boucher LW: -1, 1 Shot

D Seth Helgeson will be joining Albany on an ATO.

Saturday 4/6
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #10 Val-d'Or 5-4 (Lead Series 2-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: Goal (PP), -2, 4 Shots, 1/3 Faceoffs, 1 Hit

WHL Western Conference Semifinals
#2 Kelowna lost to #3 Kamloops 4-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
Damon Severson D: E, 2 PIM (High Sticking)

Albany lost to Wilkes-Barre Scranton 4-0
Jon Merrill D: -1, 1 Shot
Reid Boucher LW: E, 2 Shots
Seth Helgeson D: DNP

Sunday 4/7
#4 Kitchener lost to #1 London 2-0 (Trail Series 2-0)
Ben Thomson LW: -1

#3 Owen Sound defeated #2 Plymouth 3-1 (Series Tied 1-1)
Artur Gavrus C: -1

#2 Kelowna lost to #3 Kamloops 5-1 (Trail Series 2-0)
Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), -2

AHL
Albany lost to Rochester 3-2 (SO)
Jon Merrill D: -1, 2 Shots
Reid Boucher LW: Goal, E, 4 PIM (High Sticking), 6 Shots, Stopped in SO

Albany currently sits in 12th place with 71 points - 4 behind 8th place Hershey with 6 games to go.

Tuesday 4/9
QMJHL Quaterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #10 Val-d'Or 5-0 (Lead Series 3-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, +1, 2 PIM (Hooking), 2 Shots, 1/4 Faceoffs, 2 Hits

#3 Owen Sound lost to #2 Plymouth 6-3 (Trail Series 2-1)
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Assists (Both PP), -1 (Minus came on ENG)

#2 Kelowna lost to #3 Kamloops 5-4 (OT) (Trail Series 3-0)
Damon Severson D: E, 2 PIM (Hooking)

I think the injuries and battling in the 1st round has essentially wiped out Kelowna. Perhaps they avoid a sweep but I don't think they'll come back from 3-0 against a team like Kamloops.

Matteau looks like he has been much more productive in the qmjhl after playing here for a bit. Stats back that up or am I imagining this?

well just by looking at Matteau's numbers as of late, you can see he really does seem to be playing well.

Feisty, good work! I've neve paid much attention to the prospect thread till now but it's great to see how our guys are doing

well just by looking at Matteau's numbers as of late, you can see he really does seem to be playing well.

Feisty, good work! I've neve paid much attention to the prospect thread till now but it's great to see how our guys are doing

I also appreciate Fiesty's efforts. I look forward to updates. I would like to see Albany in playoffs, but it's becoming unlikely.

Wednesday 4/10
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #10 Val-d'Or 2-1 (Win Series 4-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: Assist, +1, 4 PIM (Goalie Interference x2, Misconduct), 2 Shots, 3/3 Faceoffs

#4 Kitchener lost to #1 London 4-3 (OT) (Trail Series 3-1)
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, E, 2 PIM (Slashing)

#3 Owen Sound defeated #2 Plymouth 4-3 (Series Tied 2-2)
Artur Gavrus C: Goal, +1* 1st Star

WHL Western Conference
#2 Kelowna lost to #3 Kamloops 4-3 (OT) (Lose Series 4-0)
Damon Severson D: Assist, +1, 6 PIM (High Sticking x3)
Final Season Stats: 71 GP 10-42-52 +43 74 PIM
Final Playoff Stats: 11 GP 1-9-10 +2 18 PIM

Kelowna had 12 penalties called against them compared to 1 against Kamloops. Shots were 45 to 25 in Kamloops favor.

Friday 4/12
#4 Kitchener lost to #1 London 4-1 (Lose Series 4-1)
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, -1, 4 PIM (Roughing, Closed Hand on Puck)
Final Season Stats: 67 GP 15-17-32 -3 119 PIM
Final Playoff Stats: 10 GP 1-2-3 -1 18 PIM

#3 Owen Sound lost to #2 Plymouth 5-0 (Trail Series 3-2)
Artur Gavrus C: -2

Albany lost to Binghamton 5-3
Jon Merrill D: -2
Reid Boucher LW: -1, 4 Shots
Damon Severson D: Leaving Saturday for Albany.