Is Phil Kessel the answer?

William D'Aquila

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our team is made up of aging or flat our old spare parts.   I'd rather ride this out and hope it clicks, or let us build with picks...   I'm growing weary of this 7/8/9/10/11 spot.  

Let our young guys play, make mistakes and grow; and if we do well; so be it.  If not, let's draft.

Aylbert,

I have to disagree with you there. Our defense is extremely young, and our goaltender is about enter his prime. 2/3 of the roster is set up to succeed for the longterm. What we are missing is a dynamic forward, a game breaker, a pure sniper, and Kessel is that. Giving up the 1st sucks, but who knows what that pick turns into. Kessel is a known commodity, he can score and score prolifically. If people are enamored with Cammy, Kessel will be received like Jesus Christ.

Aylbert,

I have to disagree with you there. Our defense is extremely young, and our goaltender is about enter his prime. 2/3 of the roster is set up to succeed for the longterm. What we are missing is a dynamic forward, a game breaker, a pure sniper, and Kessel is that. Giving up the 1st sucks, but who knows what that pick turns into. Kessel is a known commodity, he can score and score prolifically. If people are enamored with Cammy, Kessel will be received like Jesus Christ.

Our defense needs to mature, I love Schneider...   but we lack the true talent up front to get things done, night in-night out.    We built a team out of the extra players people add to finish their team; not build around.   It's what happens when you have to build a team through free agency and couldn't land the top tier talent. 

To get Kessel, you're giving up a lot of that young D; and potentially (hopefully not) a decent pick.

I think you'all crazy! toronto would be getting hosed unless that draftee was a big hit, and thats a large gamble for a GM. if thats all it took, I would do that in a heart beat.. kessell maybe a million or more over valued but who cares.. hes a point a game player with 5 good fast years ahead of him

Edited by EdgeControl

Our defense needs to mature, I love Schneider...   but we lack the true talent up front to get things done, night in-night out.    We built a team out of the extra players people add to finish their team; not build around.   It's what happens when you have to build a team through free agency and couldn't land the top tier talent. 

To get Kessel, you're giving up a lot of that young D; and potentially (hopefully not) a decent pick.

With our without the trade the defense stays young, so I am not what age has to do with anything. 

The proposal includes a dman who can't play D, a young forward who has shown an inability to score at the NHL level, a first round pick that will likely be middling, and Michael Ryder. THE HUMANITY! 

With our without the trade the defense stays young, so I am not what age has to do with anything. 

The proposal includes a dman who can't play D, a young forward who has shown an inability to score at the NHL level, a first round pick that will likely be middling, and Michael Ryder. THE HUMANITY! 

Then why would Toronto ever do this deal?

Kessel is an interesting idea to float around, but his $8 mil. per year is quite hefty on a very barometric player with high volatility.  He would have to score consistent seasons of 85+ points per year to make that a worth while endeavor, and while I really like Kessel, I don't think his physique lends itself towards being a speedy winger for the next five years.

If I'm Lou, and want to make a splash, I would go out and seek out what it would take to get a player like Jeff Skinner or, I'm not crapping you here, Patrick Kane.  I would even take a look at possibly landing Pavelski.  Compare and contrast the prices.

But Boucher, Gellinas, and a 1st isn't much for a player the likes of either Kessel or Skinner.  They would want Henrique.

Giving  up a 1st plus Gelinas and Boucher for Kessel and his $8M cap hit is a little rich. I understand he is a known but what if he gets hurt and does he get it done by himeself?  I feel we are set with the defense or can improve it to what we need and the same with the goaltending. the offense needs a lot of help and more than one person now and in the future. With the $8M I maybe albe to get two offensive guys and get the same or more production than Kessel. Plus I still have the first. I care less about Gelinas and Broucher so we could trade them for a forward. That gets me 3 offensive guys.

I will pass on this idea, thanks.

Kessel is an interesting idea to float around, but his $8 mil. per year is quite hefty on a very barometric player with high volatility.  He would have to score consistent seasons of 85+ points per year to make that a worth while endeavor, and while I really like Kessel, I don't think his physique lends itself towards being a speedy winger for the next five years.

If I'm Lou, and want to make a splash, I would go out and seek out what it would take to get a player like Jeff Skinner or, I'm not crapping you here, Patrick Kane.  I would even take a look at possibly landing Pavelski.  Compare and contrast the prices.

But Boucher, Gellinas, and a 1st isn't much for a player the likes of either Kessel or Skinner.  They would want Henrique.

i would honestly probably take Kessel @ 8mill over Kane @ 12/10, or whatever he's making.  i love Kane, but you can't bash Kessels contract and welcome Kaner at his cost.

There is NO WAY we'd ever separate Kane from Toewes and Chicago

You just negated the entire basis of your own thread with one paragraph.

you're afraid about kessells health yet you would go after skinner???

Lets reset and look at where we will be next season. IMO this season is a waste we will make the playoffs and go no where or we will miss the playoffs.

Goalie: we need a backup but we may have one in Kinkaid so play him now.

Defense: we loose: Zidlicky, Salvador and Harrold good we need to get an experience defenseman and then we have the youth.

Offense we loose: Ryder, Jagr, Brunner, Tootoo, Bernier good say goodbye. Havlet is gone but if he is OK at the end of this season I would re up him for a year to run out with Elias the following year. Clowe must be goone somehow. Ruutu and Zubrus one has to go somehow.  If I can get rid of Gionta with a trade deal bye bye.  We will have left Zajac, Elias, Cammy, Henrique, and Josefson. Now we have to re build from there and get 9 young offensive guys if we sign Havlet for a year, that's a tall order especially for Lou.

You just negated the entire basis of your own thread with one paragraph.

Not really, that is my opinion, like triumph said in a earlier posting other teams are pretty clueless when it comes to other teams prospects. Case and point our trade for Kovy, we traded a career minor leaguer, a khl player, a fringe top 4 dman, and a 1st round pick.

Lets reset and look at where we will be next season. IMO this season is a waste we will make the playoffs and go no where or we will miss the playoffs.

Goalie: we need a backup but we may have one in Kinkaid so play him now.

Defense: we loose: Zidlicky, Salvador and Harrold good we need to get an experience defenseman and then we have the youth.

Offense we loose: Ryder, Jagr, Brunner, Tootoo, Bernier good say goodbye. Havlet is gone but if he is OK at the end of this season I would re up him for a year to run out with Elias the following year. Clowe must be goone somehow. Ruutu and Zubrus one has to go somehow.  If I can get rid of Gionta with a trade deal bye bye.  We will have left Zajac, Elias, Cammy, Henrique, and Josefson. Now we have to re build from there and get 9 young offensive guys if we sign Havlet for a year, that's a tall order especially for Lou.

So you are in favor of trading for Kessel?

i doubt Toronto would deal him anyway... they are still getting the backlashes of the Seguin/hamilton trade and im sure they want every chances on their side to prove long term that they made the right decisions.

Im sure Kessel wouldnt mind living Toronto though and i wouldnt mind him... but guys here were saying Parise at 7.5 was good riddance but kessel at 8m would be fine? 

Not really, that is my opinion, like triumph said in a earlier posting other teams are pretty clueless when it comes to other teams prospects. Case and point our trade for Kovy, we traded a career minor leaguer, a khl player, a fringe top 4 dman, and a 1st round pick.

So you are in favor of trading for Kessel?

Here is what I said about your idea:

Giving  up a 1st plus Gelinas and Boucher for Kessel and his $8M cap hit is a little rich. I understand he is a known but what if he gets hurt and does he get it done by himeself?  I feel we are set with the defense or can improve it to what we need and the same with the goaltending. the offense needs a lot of help and more than one person now and in the future. With the $8M I maybe albe to get two offensive guys and get the same or more production than Kessel. Plus I still have the first. I care less about Gelinas and Broucher so we could trade them for a forward. That gets me 3 offensive guys.

I will pass on this idea, thanks.

If you accept my plan for next year we will need 8 young offensive players, We have Matteau, so it becomes 7 needed, I am not excited about Broucher but we have him as well. This can be done. Can  Lou do it mentality I don't know, it's a rebuild. The patch work idea of Lou with DeBoer has not worked and will continue to fail in the future.

and never thought I'd long for the days you had the wisdom to post Oust Hugh threads.

No, no... it's not you,  I just think trade posts like this are a waste of time for the most part.  I'm nto interested in Kessel at this point for one thing. 

OK -- I'm kidding ... it IS you  :rofl:

at least now I know you really ARE Beetlebum.