The Mystery (Roster) Spot

Triumph

I guess we'll know more about this tomorrow, but the Devils sent Tim Sestito down, leaving them with 22 players and more importantly, only 12 healthy forwards.  It's a bit confusing because the trade deadline is Wednesday and tomorrow is the last game before then - after the trade deadline, rosters expand to being unlimited size.  So, as Sansa Stark said, speculating's more fun - the truth is either terrible or boring.

1:  The Devils WILL make a trade or acquire someone on waivers before then.  

Lou confuses me often, but do the Devils really need another player?  They're at 8 D.  While it sucks having to use dross like Sestito and Gionta, they get Zubrus back by at the latest, Saturday.  They're running short on tradeable draft picks, so the next move would probably have to include a player.

2:  The Devils are clearing space in case they are making a trade

This makes more sense - one doesn't know what the future holds but not having Tim Sestito on Monday won't kill the team.  Until then, they have roster flexibility.  Plus if someone was hurt in tomorrow's morning skate, they could use an emergency recall on them - I don't believe Sestito was originally an emergency recall.

3:  They're signing someone

KHL season is mostly over, Swiss season is coming to a close, maybe someone's available.  Petr Sykora doesn't seem to be getting much playing time for Bern, so that's probably not a target...

4.  Zubrus is making his return tomorrow night

DeBoer said later this week for Zubrus, and the Devils don't often make desperation moves.

5.  The Devils want to recall someone else other than Sestito and will slide them in before the deadline

Jacob Josefson is skating in Albany but hasn't been playing.  If no one's acquired, maybe he gets the call on Tuesday, and we can be saved from the Sestito-Gionta nightmare.

Edited by Triumph

I also forgot that I think Sestito has to be on the Clear Day roster if he's to be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs, but Albany is 5 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand and two teams to jump over - it's not impossible, but not easy either.

Money is obviously not at all a concern.  And if they wanted to activate Zubrus and play him, they could've also done so today.

Good point, and Albany isn't going anywhere this week that would require him being dumped up there for a bus trip.   Still think it's just Zubrus, though.

while getting Zubs back should help on the ice and adjust our depth, i don't think it will be the boost people seems to believe... Ottawa is winning and ahead of us without spezza, karlsson, anderson, michalek... Pens without Letang, Malking, Crosby... chicago without hossa, etc etc etc

i don't think we can make a big case of not winning cause were missing zubrus. Cant wait to have him back though, he'll take that PK spot that some players shouldnt get

we are a slow moving power forecheck team, zubrus is the heart of that system. he will help tremendously. we were winning every game, ugly or not with him, and lost all the close ones after his injury.

though i think it's the sh!tty locker room music he provided that was the key to our success. 

we are a slow moving power forecheck team, zubrus is the heart of that system. he will help tremendously. we were winning every game, ugly or not with him, and lost all the close ones after his injury.

though i think it's the sh!tty locker room music he provided that was the key to our success. 

lol that'd make lots of sense haha

I also forgot that I think Sestito has to be on the Clear Day roster if he's to be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs, but Albany is 5 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand and two teams to jump over - it's not impossible, but not easy either.

this makes the most sense. so my guess is that barch is in the lineup tonight and centers are 21, 19, 14, 11.

josefson playing tonight is my number 2 guess.

zubrus playing tonight is a distant 3rd.