so what do we do?

pumpkin cutter

basically, our team sucks. love marty, but he's got to go (hopefully via retirement).i don't even know what our core is anymore. zajac,elias are pretty much all we have lookin forward to next season. i love our 4th line, but they aren't staying here. we got good dmen, but no one will trade for them.

i'm lost. 

Edited by pumpkin cutter

i'm lost. 

i was going to get snarky, but perhaps starting a thread like this at this juncture isn't the best idea. we're discussing in several other threads and just starting one to say "we suck, what do we do?" isn't all that constructive. if you're going to start a thread, maybe have an idea to discuss

Henrique is part of the core.  If you ask me the future on offense also lies in guys like Josefson, Boucher, and (hopefully) Brunner. 

On defense, I saw some other people saying Greene could be trade bait for offensive talent, but that would be a huge mistake if you ask me.  He's not aging yet (30 yrs old I think?), and he's become our best defenseman over the past 2-3 years.  We need him as a responsible defenseman and also a guy who can chip in and isn't afraid to join the rush.  Besides him, I think Fayne has potential, but he has got to improve on both ends of the rink.  I also think Gelinas and Merrill could be candidates for long-term spots, but each needs to improve as well.  Other than that, I think Volchenkov and Salvador both need to go soon.  I would like to see Larsson in the lineup more, and frankly even though he'll probably be served as a 7th man fill-in, I really think Harrold played well this year.  He has really good speed and has improved his reliability on defense in his own zone. 

Your core for the forseeable future is basically this (I'm leaving out Elias because he only has two years left and it's hard to know for sure what will happen in that time):

Zajac

Henrique

Clowe

The above are the only three forwards signed beyond 2015-16.

Greene (I think he gets re-signed...he's a UFA after next season)

Merrill

Gelinas (but he needs work...might be trade bait)

Larsson (can't see him not being up with the big club for hopefully all of next year) 

Schneider (I think Lou gets this done)

It's really not a bad start.  Zajac is starting to come to life offensively again.  Don't know if Henrique is really a 25+ goal scorer going forward, but he seems like he can be one of those "timely" guys at least.  Clowe is going be here due to contract...hopefully the Devils can get 60 games or so a year out of him without getting concussed. 

Lots of young and inexpensive defensemen coming up, which is great in that Lou won't have to go outside the organization nearly as much (which I don't think he likes or is comfortable with at all). 

NJ1711, agree on Greene, not sure about Boucher (but very hopeful), and I think Brunner just isn't very good.  He's already 28 years old and hasn't done much since his big "who is this guy?" start with Detroit (16 points in his first 19 NHL games, 34 in 82 games since).  Detroit not making much of an attempt to bring him back says a lot of what they thought of him. 

i was going to get snarky, but perhaps starting a thread like this at this juncture isn't the best idea. we're discussing in several other threads and just starting one to say "we suck, what do we do?" isn't all that constructive. if you're going to start a thread, maybe have an idea to discuss

Good time as any to start something where all of this stuff can be consolidated.

First, I want DeBoer to stay.  He got a lot out of fairly mediocre roster.  Best PK in the league, and top ten in the powerplay.  The team does not give up a lot of shots at even strength.  No matter how shaky the offense is, that's generally a good bet to make the playoffs.   DeBoer screwed up big time giving Marty too many starts, but ultimately, I think it's something that 9 out of 10 coaches would have also done, but it's water under the bridge.  Next year I don't expect it to be an issue, as all signs indicate Marty will not be on the Devils next year.  And if he is, shame on Lou, and shame on whoever the coach is for starting him more than a handful of games.

Second, sign Jagr.  That's obvious.

Third, get a sense as soon as possible about whether Schneider will go to free agency, by offering him a big deal, eight years if necessary.  If the vibe is that he just doesn't want to be here for the long term, get on the phones immediately, and be open to trading him anywhere, even if it's in the division.  In the meantime, there are enough decent goalies out there in free agency to make things look respectable.

Fourth, clear up the defense logjam one way or the other.  A few days after free agency, this team should know who the top six defenseman will be. 

Fifth, at the draft, it's best player available, period.  No one the team ends up picking will be scoring goals for this team for at least the next 3 years, or if they are, the team is absolutely fvcked. 

On the bright side, we're kind of playing with house money next year.  If there's ever a time where being dreadful is a good thing, it's next season.  Hell, if only we had lost five more games last year, we might have had Nate MacKinnon. 

In all honesty, I don't think the team sucks. Do we deserve to be in the playoffs? No. But there are definitely some positives about this team. Goaltending is going to be excellent with Cory. There are many options on D, along with some promising young players that could take the next step (Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas). We are weak up front but there are many viable options for the Devils to explore via UFA, and they also have enough forward depth to possibly make a trade for a better depth player. Personally I would like a new coach, but I am hoping that if Deboer is gone, we can at least keep Barr and Foligno. They really excelled this year with the special teams. We will see what they do this summer, but now that they have some owners with money I think the team will be greatly improved going into next season. LGD

It's interesting how people are talking about Jo as part of the offensive picture going forward. He definitely had his shot this season, and did literally nothing until the tail end here. I think it was interesting how much he played late in that Buffalo game. He was playing well, finally, before he got hurt. I thought he had his last tryout during his previous stretch of starts. Good for him, though, I do like him. It wasn't that long ago reporters were asking him if he planned to go back to Europe.

I don't think Mark Fayne gets nearly the respect he deserves on this board. He's young, and deserves a lengthy contract. He'll be signed pretty early in free agency if Lou doesn't get him locked up. He's a Devil type player, and apparently him and Andy Greene are good friends. He is a solid core guy. I'd be genuinely pissed off if they let him walk to "alleviate the log-jam of defense". I'd much rather see Volch and/or Sal out or have one of the young guys down in Albany. I wouldn't mind if Gelinas was moved, either.

There's more, but the games about to start.

Firing Deboer is literally the worst thing we could do other than trading Cory away for a 4th rounder

His line management sucks but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

We have an team of average guys and hopefully we sign some elite forwards (wishful thinking) in the off season to balance the lines.

We will see...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

It's interesting how people are talking about Jo as part of the offensive picture going forward. He definitely had his shot this season, and did literally nothing until the tail end here. I think it was interesting how much he played late in that Buffalo game. He was playing well, finally, before he got hurt. I thought he had his last tryout during his previous stretch of starts. Good for him, though, I do like him. It wasn't that long ago reporters were asking him if he planned to go back to Europe.

I don't think Mark Fayne gets nearly the respect he deserves on this board. He's young, and deserves a lengthy contract. He'll be signed pretty early in free agency if Lou doesn't get him locked up. He's a Devil type player, and apparently him and Andy Greene are good friends. He is a solid core guy. I'd be genuinely pissed off if they let him walk to "alleviate the log-jam of defense". I'd much rather see Volch and/or Sal out or have one of the young guys down in Albany. I wouldn't mind if Gelinas was moved, either.

There's more, but the games about to start.

i agree 100% with this whole post.. fayne is definently under rated he has bloomed into a good quality Dman and i really hope both him and andy greene get resigned here .. it would be a true shame if either of them were not back and we were stuck with the crap remains of either volch or salvador.. i forget where i was reading it but someone was speculating the likeliness of volch getting bought out.. not sure i would want to blow the lat buyout on him when we may need it for someone else but if i t comes down to having to dump someone to hang onto someone like fayne or greene...then i dont know

I didn't agree with certain Deboer strategies, but in all fairness the guy did a good job at keeping things together despite the rag tag group of players he had to work with.

I would give DeBoer another two seasons, unless Laviolette or Torts are on Lou's radar. I would strongly consider either one of those guys.

Torts honestly? Why? So we can see devils slipping and sliding everywhere playing the 6 goalie system?

I could see MAYBE they need someone who will scream at them every night in the locker room, but other than that I dont really see what else Torts offers more than PDB does.

If were going to look for a coaching change at all (and as long as we're talking about former Rags coaches) we should start talking to Tom Renney.

Coaching changes are not automatically going to make this team a contender.  We need to address the talent we lost last year and we haven't done that.  Its not goaltending either, look at all the 1 or 2 goal games we lost.