game, set, match

speedsk8r27

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't feel like pointing the finger of blame at anyone, but this is a tough one to swallow. Game 1 was a kick in the ass. This one was a kick in the nuts.

Watching the post game, it seemed the players put on a good face. It's a veteran team, so there's a chance they can regroup. But this is a tough one to bounce back from.

Edited by Jerrydevil

"Yes, just like the many people who realistically knew the Devils wouldn't make the playoffs."

Your exactly right Devs731. I remember that thread and the trading of Parise to get the better draft spot.

How many of Carolina's goals were intentional? Not the game winners in either game.

We are coming home, hopefully Whitey will be in the line-up and Gionta starts playing like we know he can.

I am very confident we can beat these guys the next four.

'76: Obviously, the team was badly outplayed in the first two games. We just don't have a team that can compete against the 'Canes. You are obviously for getting rid of Gionta as he is too small. But he's not the only one that has been slower than the 'Canes. Who else should we be looking at off-loading ASAP? The good thing is that we Elias is an UFA, so we can let him walk. Gomez is a RFA, so we're going to have to trade his rights somewhere to get rid of that guy. And LouLams was correct when he said we could probably move up in the draft by throwing Parise to a non-contender. Who else is on your list?

Don, obviously you can't read, so maybe you shouldn't respond to my posts at all.

All I said was that, FOR THE FIRST TIME ALL SEASON (I'm using your technique and capitalizing what's really important), Gionta has looked small, been pushed around, and had a rough time. The 'Canes have done their homework and have come up with a good gameplan to shut him down...at least for these two games. But you turn that observation into me wanting to get rid of Gio and others.

I don't have any list here genius. I didn't make one up, and I sure don't see any list in my post.

Anything else stupid you want to add?

Not hard to see why you aggravate people when you post complete and utter nonsense.

If you want to take me to task, I have no problem with that, provided you do so based on what I write as opposed to what I don't.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I wont say the series is over until it's over. You need four to win.

Lou needs to make some line changes. Langs and Patty should be on the top line with Gomer.

Shake things up.

The Devils arent getting the shots on goal.

12 hours later i'm still fuming...

Car has dicated play the entire series... if not for broduer last night could have been 6 -1 ...

we had no offense the 2 & 3 rd periods.. NONE!!!

and like some else said.. car seems to turn it on whenever they want...

21 friggin seconds!!! TWENTY ONE!!!!!

the devs are being out hit, out skated, out worked ... the only aspect of the game where the devs are better is goal tending... but we were outshot 30 to 9 IN THE LAST 3 PERIODS ( INCLUDING oty)...

hopefully I'll wake up more optimistic tmrw.. right now... just donot see how the devs recover from last night...

First, Gomez did not interfere with Ward on the disallowed goal. Ward skated into Gomez as much as the other way around, and was sitting on his ass outside the crease when contact was made. Bad call, even if everyone else on the planet says otherwise.

I agree with the Lukowich criticism, but the real question is, why did Klee try to skate the puck out of the zone in OT? Or better yet, why the hell is he in the lineup? He makes consistently bad decisions and doesn't ever know where to put himself defensively down low. He's a disaster.

My $.02

- Jeff

The only thing I have to say (because the game is done, its over....we're down by two games...period) but I agree with the above post about Gomez/Ward....I didn't see that part of the game (I was heading home from up north) but when I saw the replay I was blown away at the call...Gomer was clearly rushing the net...But Ward skated up to him and clearly put his glove side between Gomers legs and wouldn't let go...but whatever, it worked, no goal so it really is irrelevent now....

Sorry but it looked to mt like gomez was trying to dry hump ward...

call had to be made...

Sorry but it looked to mt like gomez was trying to dry hump ward...

call had to be made...

And the call on justin williams 2 minutes later was 100x worse.. brdouer hits williams w/ hsi stick and williams goes tot he box??

If you want to take me task, I have no problem with that, provided you do so based on what I write as opposed to what I don't.

My point was that you had 101 criticisms and no solutions.

It's easy to say "Gionta is being pushed around and neutralized". But what do you want the Devils to do with him? Stretch him?

It's easy to say "The 'Canes are faster than the Devils". But what do you want the Devils to do to combat that? You must be thinking of personnel changes.

I'm serious. I want to hear what your solutions are to change that the Devils are unable to play at the level that the 'Canes are bringing?

I through out some possible "solutions" since you provided none. If you don't provide any, I am left only to guess at what you would like to do.....

Why does he have to provide any "solutions"? Can't he offer observations for their own sake? He's a spectator, not a coach, after all.

I've always believed that the cost of making a criticism was having a suggestion to remedy the situation.

Why does he have to provide any "solutions"? Can't he offer observations for their own sake? He's a spectator, not a coach, after all.

Thank you jsonnabend!

Don, do you know the difference between criticisms and observations? Outside of the one comment I made about Lukowich I'm not criticizing anyone's play or Lou's coaching strategies. Other than putting molasses all over the Hurricanes' skate blades and the Devils adding rocket launchers to theirs, I don't know how the Devils are supposed to make themselves skate faster and the Hurricanes skate slower. I've now watched about 124 minutes of hockey played between the 'Canes and Devils, and the biggest problem I see (as I think most others do) is that this Devils team always seems to be a step behind these 'Canes. The 'Canes are also very quick to swarm to the Devil that's carrying the puck, and as a result the Devils are having a tough time getting shots on goal.

Right now, from a simple personnel standpoint, the Devils look like an overmatched team. Like I said, I'll still be there at the CAA cheering and hoping for the best, but with the way the Hurricanes are playing and the gameplan that they're executing phenomenally well, I don't see what the Devils can do to beat them.

Don, this is an observation:

Gionta is getting pushed around and having a rough time.

This is a criticism (just an example):

Gionta has to start trying harder to get some open space and has to shoot more. (I don't subscribe to this BTW...I think Gionta's doing all he can. The 'Canes are just doing an excellent job taking him out of the game.)

"Right now, from a simple personnel standpoint, the Devils look like an overmatched team."

So, what you are advocating is personnel changes in the off season?

Maybe it's just my job - as a project leader, I'm a problem solver. When someone says "BLAH BLAH BLAH IS A HUGE PROBLEM" I don't say "TOUGH NOOGIES. LIVE WITH IT."

I would avocate personnel changes in the off season... But if I start talking about UFA's and trade speculation I won't be able to stop, so I'm resisting until the season is over.

Edited by Elias26

Yes, just like the many people who realistically knew the Devils wouldn't make the playoffs.

It was a more realistic expectation during a 14 game stretch with 2 non-shootout wins than to say they would have a record winning streak to end out the season and win the division, I don't remember anyone predicting that.

The fact of the matter is that it ain't over til it's over. Obviously we are going to have to hope for a nice comeback to win this series, but the Canes were down 2-0 in the previous series. We also managed to come back from down 3-1 in 2000, so why can't we come back from down 2-0?

I'm with Don.

A team is NEVER down... I think the Devils look slower because they are hesitating. I've seen it before... it's like I said abou tthe whole team playing like Sean Brown -- there is this hitch in timing -- when you stop to watch what's going on -- when you shouldn't be doing that -- you should anticipate and trust your good hockey sense.. these guys are all winners with brilliant intuition -- that's why they're there. They have to trust themselves.

They aren't out matched -- unless they are trying to play the other guys game. Like I said if they try to OUTGRIND... that's stupid -- try to outwork... again STUPID. They're guessing the Canes' system and trying to outplay them -- can't be done-- FIND YOUR OWN WAY TO WIN! And these guys can do it EASILY! They just have no faith -- they're giving up like you are - do you not all see it?

FOCUS! (ANTICIPATE) TRUST!

It's only hard when you think it's not supposed to be that easy.

They should go with intuition above neatness -- that was why I hesitated in saying anything during the Ranger run... it was on... let your mind go and your body will follow -- sloppy was working as much as it pained me...

Edited by Pepperkorn

"Right now, from a simple personnel standpoint, the Devils look like an overmatched team."

Maybe it's just my job - as a project leader, I'm a problem solver. When someone says "BLAH BLAH BLAH IS A HUGE PROBLEM" I don't say "TOUGH NOOGIES. LIVE WITH IT."

I'm an engineer who is also a part owner of an OEM firm, so I'm familiar with problem solving too. I just don't see how the Devils are going to solve this particular problem.

I'm not advocating personnel changes, although some are certain to come with free agency, etc.

The Devils just don't match up well with this Carolina team. But one thing that often happens: when you try to re-tool your team to better take on a certain team, chances are you'll now match up poorly with someone else. It's pretty tough to put together a team (especially with a salary cap) that can beat every other NHL team hands-down.

I'd love nothing more than the Devils to prove me wrong and come back strong in this series. I guess in some people's eyes the only way you're a good fan is to completely ignore what's happening on the ice and just bluster about how the Devils are going to suddenly dominate the 'Canes. I'll readily admit that I think that scenario is a big-time longshot. But if I thought there was absolutely, positively zero shot of that happening, I wouldn't be going to the game tomorrow. I still have a little faith in me somewhere.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976