TSN Panel on the Final Few Seconds

devilsrule33

I thought there was more to that rule than just what that guy read on TSN. When Doc and Chico pulled out the rulebook on the postgame, the rule also said something to the effect of: if the contact is incidental, the player still has to have made an effort to avoid contact. And that is what Chico took issue with. He didn't feel that Jokinen tried to avoid contact.

Nevertheless, I don't think the game should've come down to that anyway. The Devils defense sucked, to put it bluntly.

Edited by 95Crash

It is interesting. There seems to be slightly conflicting rules on this issue in the same rulebook.

Bob McKenzie from TSN read this part of the rulebook:

Table 18 - Rule 69 - Interference on the Goalkeeper

Interference on the Goalkeeper Situations

Situation 2 - THE GOALKEEPER IS OUT OF THE GOAL CREASE.

B. An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper at the time a goal is scored. Goal is allowed.

Link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26557

Doc and Chico read this part of the rulebook:

Rule 69 - Interference on the Goalkeeper

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player

As frustrating as it may be, that was just a bad decision by Marty. The contact was as much, if not more, his fault as it was Jokinen's. No point crying over spilled milk now. LETS GO DEVILS!

Edited by Biggie B

After seeing the replay a bunch, I don't think their was interference from Jokinen. The 3rd goal is another matter entirely. Bayda drove to the net, into the crease and then into Brodeur, pinning Marty back which DIRECTLY led to the goal. That was a joke. No question in my mind whether that goal should've been waived off and the Devils put on the PP. After the refs let that go, I think Marty felt he was owed a makeup call.

After watching the replay our D man got it in the corner and instead of just holding it there for the 3-4sec left decided to "attempt" to clear the puck from the zone and it wound up right on the Carolina Dmans stick. I guess its thoes decisions that decide games some times. Oh well as pissed as I am, I need to get over it and realize its over now and whats done is done.

As Pang pointed out I've been saying all series that Marty looks slow after the save. He gets up slow, he moves around slow, and he watches the puck go into the corners before getting up. He might not be 100% and not meaning the injury isn't healed but he's not at top form physically whether its age, injury, or conditioning and he needs to compensate...like they pointed out, the Ref didn't want to make the call and have a PP start the OT so he was expecting OT as was Marty.

Play through the whistle end of story and there is no goal.

Look at this screenshot of the puck going past Marty (the black blur just to the left of his left skate - incidentally, this is where a pair of Jiggy Puff pads would've done the job... they compensate for goalies with poor positioning). Make no mistake -- Marty is not set here (he is inches away from deflecting the puck because he isn't in his full butterfly), and if you watch that overhead replay in slow motion, you'll see why and exactly how it unfolds. This is a save he makes easily if he doesn't get bumped on the right side of the crease and has time to get over.

1z4bj0i.png

The goal should've been waved off.

Edited by Undersold

Look at this screenshot of the puck going past Marty (the black blur just to the left of his left skate - incidentally, this is where a pair of Jiggy Puff pads would've done the job... they compensate for goalies with poor positioning). Make no mistake -- Marty is not set here (he is inches away from deflecting the puck because he isn't in his full butterfly), and if you watch that overhead replay in slow motion, you'll see why and exactly how it unfolds. This is a save he makes easily if he doesn't get bumped on the right side of the crease and has time to get over.

1z4bj0i.png

The goal should've been waved off.

No, Marty should have been in position and not taken the last few seconds off. It's a tough break but if it was us who scored in the similar circumstances I would have been pissed if it didn't count. He has his blue paint if he never wants to be touched, you can't waive off a goal because Marty strolled out to far to tap another player.

Edited by squishyx

No, Marty should have been in position and not taken the last few seconds off. It's a tough break but if it was us who scored in the similar circumstances I would have been pissed if it didn't count. He has his blue paint if he never wants to be touched, you can't waive off a goal because Marty strolled out to far to tap another player.

Didn't Marty say very recently that he thinks the crease is too small?

I think we have to stop dwelling on the final few seconds and how big of a pooch screw it was. Sutter said it plainly. The mission was accomplished these last 48 hours we've reclaimed home ice, we played a mostly bad game in game 4 and still almost won if not be for a fluke/missed call/pooch screwing. So lets move on.

Didn't Marty say very recently that he thinks the crease is too small?

I think so, I thought he also mentioned that any contact outside his new blue box would be fair game, any contact inside would be an automatic penalty, something to that effect. I think its a good idea, but he can't just start doing it and expect it to be called lol.

I think so, I thought he also mentioned that any contact outside his new blue box would be fair game, any contact inside would be an automatic penalty, something to that effect. I think its a good idea, but he can't just start doing it and expect it to be called lol.

But expecting incidental contact to be called, which is in the rules, is not out of the ordinary.

Right. The question is whether that was incidental. I think Jokinen knew exactly what he was doing.

Well incidental or not it can waive off a goal. I tend to think this was a classic case of incidental contact, a case where a player accidentally makes contact with the goalie leaving him at a disadvantage when the shot comes.