Analyzing Rangers Playoff Hopes

Blackjack

With the Rangers on their cute little hot streak, it's no longer simply a given that they will miss the playoffs. So, let's bite the bullet and crunch the numbers.

The Rangers have 20 wins against 23 losses with 7 ties

That means they've got 47 points in 50 games, with 32 games remaining.

Let's pick an arbitrary number of points to make the playoffs. 85.

The Rangers would have to go 6 games over .500 to get 85 points, in 32 games that translates to a record of 18-12-2.

Now, let's find 12 losses in their schedule.

Jan 26 03 Sun AWAY Capitals

Jan 30 03 Thu HOME Avalanche

Feb 5 03 Wed HOME Senators

Feb 6 03 Thu AWAY Blues

Feb 8 03 Sat AWAY Flyers

Feb 17 03 Mon AWAY Senators

Feb 23 03 Sun AWAY Avalanche

Feb 25 03 Tue AWAY Devils

Feb 27 03 Thu HOME Bruins

Mar 7 03 Fri HOME Flyers

Mar 13 03 Thu AWAY Senators

Mar 15 03 Sat AWAY Devils

That's 12. Here's the knockout punch:

Mar 22 03 Sat AWAY Flyers

Of course, the Rangers will probably win some of these games, heck, we haven't even beaten them yet, but they probably won't win all of their other games either. The best chance for an early Ranger mathmatical elimanation is the hell stretch from Febuary 5-8. Sens, Blues, Flyers. Ouch. If the Rangers sweep those three, I say they make the playoffs. If they get swept, I say the team goes into a tailspin, Spongebob squarepants opens his big fat yapper to the delight of Devils fans, and all is right with the world.

I hate to say it I agree with 7 and NJay; I felt the same way in '97; yeah let's end the streak, but '97 scarred me. Especially Messyface who not only turned around the '94 series with the hat trick but the '97 series with the high stick. I'd rather play them after Messyface retires. Besides I don't want the Rangers to make the playoffs anyway because they'll be heroes if they do after the start they got off to (although that would be an indicator of the different standard in my quote but still).

Blackjack the Rangers could in theory get to 85 points by going 16-12-4-2 also. I hate to say it the Rangers are starting to remind me of the Jets. That is one comparison I do NOT want to see. :puke:

i want the rangers to lose every game for the rest of the year and the rest of their existence. i want them to miss the playoffs so pathetically they are even easier to laugh at. is it just me?

oh yeah, and i want holik to burn. i want him to cry when the devils win the cup and the rangers are out golfing.

going to a winning team my ass.

bitter much? :evil:

If you assume every game in hand held by other teams is worth one point, here is your 6 through 13 in the East.

Boston 55 points

Islanders 52 points

Pitt 51 points

Tampa 51 points

Montreal 50 points

Florida 48 points

Rangers 47 points

Carolinia 45 points

As you can see, by this thinking the Rangers are still in 12th place. Another thing you can see is that everyone of these teams has flaws.

The key to everything is not Bure or Leetch, Holik or Eric, its Dunham. If he keeps playing the way he has been they have a shot to win every night.

I still think 90 points is the magic number.

85 is just too low.

My number, even for Devs, all season long has been 90.

I figure that for every 10 games played you need 11 points.

After 80 games you have 88 points & 2 games left to get some more.

Rags got 50 GP & 47 points. By my method they are off 8 points right now.

After 10 more games, let's look again & see where they stand.

Goals/Points are harder to get in the stretch run & they have an absolutely awful GAA.

Probably the Playoffs won't happen - but if they do make it, then by NHL standards, they will have deserved it by playing so well to make up for poor start.

Personally I want Holik to miss the playoffs more than wanting Rangers to miss for 6th straight year (but, that sounds nice doesn't it?)

One aspect to consider is that teams such as the Pens and the Bruins have hit the skids of late. The Rangers could make it more on the downward spiral of those teams versus their going on a sold second half run.

Assume they will make it and we'll end up playing them in the first round. I'll like our chances in 5 or 6 games.

For you guys to play the Rangers in the first round that means being number one in the conference, or at the very least number two. Right now Ottawa and Philly look pretty tough.

While the GAA is still terrible, 2.94, it has improved since Dunham has arrived. Right now the Rangers are 24th of the 30 teams in that area.

Like I said before, the key to everything is Dunham.

I think we'll beat out Philly for the division title, personally. They have a lot more "internal issues" that are still around (their a$$hole scumbag captain, for one) plus the darkhorse of their goaltending situation.

Does anyone else feel that Checkmanek is simply the luckiest M-fer in hockey? The guy has no form at all! If I were a fan, he'd be scary to watch.

The Devils will win the division. If Lalime pulls a Lalime, we'll have the chance to at least compete for the top spot. But I prefer it when the Devils are a middle seed - that's when we win!

You're right, it's a lot about goal-tending, but mostly about defense. If the Rangers can hold focus and not slip into that run and gun game (which only seems to ever work for Detroit) then they've got a shot. And well, it depends on how many Eastern Conference rivals' goaltenders Holik can take out with the sliding home trick.

Also, apparently Lindros is trying out a new intimidation technique. It's reported that he vomited on an opponent last night. Should the Devs try that one too? It's probably effective at getting a little skating room.

Dunham's GAA with Ranger is 2.16 - very good!

I told my "Rags fan" friend when they got Dunham, that they would make the playoffs this year.

Then they had that December swoon, so that made it real tough to do. They will have to win alot in the remaining 30 games to make it, but its possible.

I remember back in '88, no one thought we could make it, then Devs went on 7-0-1 run, and won in OT on last game of season to make playoffs - and who did we bump out - oh yeah, the Rangers...

hey uni - was a fullout concussion vomit or was it just a little acid reflux belch type vomit? :lol: Man that's gross -- if he barfed on me a) I'd make him lick it up B ) I'd probably barf right back on him -- think boogers would work? It'd be easier to blow boogers on him than yack i think. Think the league would get you for unsportsmanly conduct if you did the old booger blow on someone? I can see the replays now! heehee

what am I - 2? I hope I grow up some after punkin is born!

I'm not sure PK, on the severity of the vomit. The article just stated: "Lindros even, according to several eyewitnesses, tossed his cookies on Shawn Bates during the game - talk about intimidation." And unfortunately I didn't see a replay of it. I've gotta tell you though, I really enjoyed watching this game. It's funny to hear all the commentators talking about how it's turning into Bobby's team. And it pretty much is. If Rangers make the play-offs this year, they'll make Holik captain when Messier retires. That's my prediction anyway. Did anyone envision a season for Holik where he sat out most of the first half, and then came back to center the first line while bumping Lindros to his wing??? Weird stuff.

When you think of Lindros and the Flyers the one guy you think of him playing with is LeClair. You think Legion of Doom, you think of huge guys working down low, scoring garbage goals. The Rangers (like most teams) do not have a winger who is anywhere close to LeClair in skill or size or style. The only guy who has those attributes is Holik. Although the injury to Bure and poor play by #88 prompted this, a Lindros-Holik pair makes more sense than does a Lindros-Bure pair.

More than Dunham's GAA (which is very impressive) he is solid. He makes the saves he should make, along with some he shouldn't. He keeps his team in the game, and can win the occasional game on his own.