Brodeur

Fred Garvin

I just want to point out some stats about Brodeur.

51% of the devils franchise wins (649/1250)

58% if you just count just the Devils (649/1110)

More wins than 7 NHL teams.

Two of which have won a Cup.

Just something to think about.

A newbie-type post for sure, but yeah, Brodeur is an all-time great. We can all get behind that.

I just want to point out some stats about Brodeur.

51% of the devils franchise wins (649/1250)

58% if you just count just the Devils (649/1110)

More wins than 7 NHL teams.

Two of which have won a Cup.

Just something to think about.

I didn't know that, it was very interesting, thank you.

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

This makes Sam Rosen feel happy in the pants.

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

Meh, not as big a deal in the shootout era, which Lundqvist had the benefit of playing his entire career in.

Brodeur could've pulled that off just as easily, except that he 1) came up for a cup of coffee in 1991-92, 2) rotated with Terreri for most of his rookie year, and 3) played during the strike-shortened '95 season. Not knocking Lundqvist, but Marty was winning 37-43 games routinely without shootout victories bloating his totals.

I was wondering about that too. Pretty sure about Tampa but for the 2nd it is either Carolina or Anaheim I think. It just depends on if you count when Carolina used to be the Whalers.

Atlanta/Winnipeg I would think. And Nashville too.

Yeah, except the Queen's had the shootout to help pad his 30-win seasons.

And I know, I know that goes for Brodeur as well (to a much lesser extent obviously).

But I'd bet he wouldn't have touched 30-wins each of those 7 years without the shootouts.

good point, marty this season proves hes not the product of the trap

It does? While his numbers the past few months have been very good, his overall season #'s are not close to what they used to be. However at 39 they are what they are.

I still think the trap helped him a bit back in the 90's. When you are facing less than 20 shots most nights it def helps.

We are trying to figure out which teams Brodeur has more than wins than but also won the cup.

I still think it is Tampa and Anaheim as long as you do not count Carolina's time in Hartford.

Yeah, my mistake, missed the Cup part...derrrrrrr on me!

Yeah, I would think gotta be Tampa and Anaheim. I think all of a franchise's numbers should count, which is why I think the Scouts/Rockies/Devils numbers should all be lumped together.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, except the Queen's had the shootout to help pad his 30-win seasons.

And I know, I know that goes for Brodeur as well (to a much lesser extent obviously).

But I'd bet he wouldn't have touched 30-wins each of those 7 years without the shootouts.

Brodeur averaged 40 wins per year from '96-'97 to '03-'04 (pre-shootout of course). But I can almost hear the Ranger fans already: "duuuuuuhhhhhh, dat Bro-dure neva won thirty games in each of his first seven seasons! Da King is da king!"

I still think the trap helped him a bit back in the 90's. When you are facing less than 20 shots most nights it def helps.

well scoring is somewhat down this year too for various reasons, 1 goal decisions and shoot outs, but yeah.

i just heard a rags fan say it and im running with it

also, that little losing streak, now that we won 2 in a row, im saying it was expected but also coincided with the trade deadline and zidlicky and the team needing time to get the PP sussed out, Devils PK is WTF and by the looks of it now the PP is too.

just a stretch but im throwing it out there.

Edited by lazer

It does? While his numbers the past few months have been very good, his overall season #'s are not close to what they used to be. However at 39 they are what they are.

That "less than 20 shots" thing gets way overblown. Just for the hell of it, I looked up one random season (2000-01), just to see how many times Brodeur did indeed face less than 20 shots. The total was 17 times. Hardly "most nights".

That "less than 20 shots" thing gets way overblown. Just for the hell of it, I looked up one random season (2000-01), just to see how many times Brodeur did indeed face less than 20 shots. The total was 17 times. Hardly "most nights".

lol that is a very convenient year to pick since we both know they were a different team from 99-2000 and 2000-01 season. They didn't play the trap much under Ftorek and lead the league in scoring one of those years.

I was talking the 90's. 95-96 season to 98-99 to be exact. Just looking at his shots against total in 2000-01 season to let's say 97-98 (where he had a less than 2.00 GAA) it was 1762 to 1569.

If this year isn't enough to prove that Brodeur isn't a product of the trap, check out 07-08 or 09-10. People just need to stop already and accept that he is a great goalie.

As for Lundqvist, tell me when he's done 11 straight seasons of 35 plus wins without car doors on his legs and shootouts.