Zids re-signed 1 year / 3m with Devils

SterioDesign

i'd like to imagine that if Lou made this move its that he's very confident that he can either 1 - move either volchenkov or Salvador or 2- There's a possible package could send a guy like Fayne ++ and bring back something decent.

There's no way we can go back in the season with 8dmen again, it was fvcking ridiculous

I'd rather stay away from moving Fayne. I like the pieces we have in our team. I would've only used Fayne as trade bait for some offensive fire a couple weeks ago, which now we've got, imo. Fayne's been really solid the past year or two, and he could be the guy we keep around for some consistency, to try and build around; he's only 26.

I'd rather stay away from moving Fayne. I like the pieces we have in our team. I would've only used Fayne as trade bait for some offensive fire a couple weeks ago, which now we've got, imo. Fayne's been really solid the past year or two, and he could be the guy we keep around for some consistency, to try and build around; he's only 26.

Only issue is he's a UFA next year

i wouldnt move fayne either personally, he's young and can play against top lines. My point was more that if we'd be putting together a package to get a top forward, you have to give something good to get something good you know.

There are rumors that Lou is shopping Volch and could move him next week. Can't share where I read that but the source has been reliable and if it got out, we might lose the source (if you do wind up finding it, please don't run to TG or post it elsewhere). Can't see how we move Volch but hell, I'd be down.. Might even crack a beer to celebrate

Edited by Colin226

There are rumors that Lou is shopping Volch and could move him next week. Can't share where I read that but the source has been reliable and if it got out, we might lose the source (if you do wind up finding it, please don't run to TG or post it elsewhere). Can't see how we move Volch but hell, I'd be down.. Might even crack a beer to celebrate

There's an NTC at play, and I know that he likes the area. The Isles, maybe. But otherwise, can't see it happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the Devils were to trade Volchenkov it would have to be in some kind of package deal right?

As my brother pointed out when I texted him about this, if all we could get for Tallinder is some AHL scrub, what the heck is Volchenkov's value with that huge contract and NMC? It'll be tough but I guess Lou might have some interest. Maybe he moves a young D too but gets back a player/pick?

CAA Security Guard sighting!!! :P

if Lou somehow trade volchenkov and make room for a youngster. Im gonna be more than thrilled for next season.

Lets put it this way... i'd rather fail a season with kids and tell myself that they will become better and its part of the learning curve rather than fail a season seeing overpaid old man sh!tting the bed night after night.

As my brother pointed out when I texted him about this, if all we could get for Tallinder is some AHL scrub, what the heck is Volchenkov's value with that huge contract and NMC? It'll be tough but I guess Lou might have some interest. Maybe he moves a young D too but gets back a player/pick?

Like the Tallinder deal, moving Volch wouldn't be about the return, it would be about clearing space, both on the roster and in salary. 

If the Devils traded Volchenkov, this after already dealing Tallinder, that be bad news for the Devils defense this season. There are no indicators that any of the young prospects can come in and play well. That's the result of having 8 vets on the roster last season. Hopefully, this season the Devils get a little opportunity to see them play, and we probably will with the expected injuries to Volchenkov and others. Maybe then we see if they are ready to go for next year.

But for now, the signing of Zidlicky was a must for me. The Devils need some offense from the back end and someone who can run the power play. The 1-year deal is perfect. Either Zidlicky doesn't want to go anywhere or the league has very little interest for him to take this deal.

Edited by devilsrule33

i know its a pretty obvious thinking but Ottawa? Played there before, they have Karlsson, Philips, Methot, corvo and Gryba signed ... they have to re-sign cowen and wiercioch who are RFA? they lost Gonchar who was playing a lot of minutes too so who knows? 

they have 14m of cap space right now.

per TG

Lamoriello said he re-signed Zidlicky, "For what he brings to the power play. He’s a puck-moving defenseman and he fit in very well.Right now, our defense is solid with veterans and we still have the opportunity for a young player .and we still have a chance of making another move if necessary.

so hum... i certainly hope he doesnt mean by "still have the opportunity for a young player" = having 8 dmen

more from TG

So, it sounds like Lamoriello intends to try to move another defenseman before the start of next season. We'll see.

Edited by SterioDesign

i know its a pretty obvious thinking but Ottawa? Played there before, they have Karlsson, Philips, Methot, corvo and Gryba signed ... they have to re-sign cowen and wiercioch who are RFA? they lost Gonchar who was playing a lot of minutes too so who knows? 

they have 14m of cap space right now.

Haha, that would work out beautifully, send two unwanted contracts right back from where they came. 

I wonder if the Devils would take on half of Volchenkov contract for on year to get rid of him

Volch is signed for 3 more years. I don't know how another team can look at him and say, yeah, I'll take 2 years of him at full price + NTC, so long as NJ takes $2.1M in salary for one year. If I were a GM, there's no way I take him at full price for more than 25% of the season, i.e. deadline day in the last year of his deal.

As we stand right now our Defense is the exact same Defense we had when we made our cup run, the only two differences being....

A) Salvador and Zid are two years older and badly in decline.

B) Larsson has another half season (Lockout shortened) of experience and will eat up a lot more important minutes than he did the previous two seasons.

So to reieterate, A is bad and B is very good. When you think about it the situation could be much worse, also when Zid fvcks up we just scratch him and have Harrold play. The beauty of a 1 year contract.

Also I don't think Volchenkov is as terrible as everyone gives him credit for, or a lack therof. I think that Salvador is worse than Volch, his contract would be easier to move anyway. Regardless I think the D we have is what we get next season, I could see a situation where Greene or Volch or Sal go down and we call up Gelinas or Merrill and give them a shot over Harrold.

Greene-Larsson

Sal-Fayne

Volch-Zid

Harrold

That's what we're probably looking at.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

The Devils are going to have 14 forwards signed to one-way contracts + Stephen Gionta who played in all the games last year.  They are not going with 8 defensemen again.  In addition, players get hurt, so even if those are the starting seven, we will see plenty of the rookies.

Ok one year that is crazy, I can't imagine no other teams wanted to offer him a one year contract.... Still waiting to hear the number but I'm confident it's reasonable... One year is great either way

I don't know how I feel about train Volch. I know we're gonna have to eat some of that contract and not even get a good return anyway. I know the idea to make cap room is good, but the idea to create roster room is stupid.

i know im the minority but i actually like what Volch brings, i think we'd be better off with him in ou lineup and especially with trading Sal instead

Ok one year that is crazy, I can't imagine no other teams wanted to offer him a one year contract.... Still waiting to hear the number but I'm confident it's reasonable... One year is great either way

I don't know how I feel about train Volch. I know we're gonna have to eat some of that contract and not even get a good return anyway. I know the idea to make cap room is good, but the idea to create roster room is stupid.

i know im the minority but i actually like what Volch brings, i think we'd be better off with him in ou lineup and especially with trading Sal instead

zid said he had other offers but he was waiting specifically on Lou.