Coyotes to remain in Arizona

nyrsuck26

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ar.VYdBs8Q4VAwsL4shixzx7vLYF?slug=ap-coyotessale

Desert hockey lives to see another season.

What good, if any, the one-year reprieve granted the Phoenix Coyotes by the Glendale City Council will do remains to be seen. The best-case scenario, from the council’s perspective, will be for the NHL to finally complete a sale that keeps the franchise at the city’s Jobing.com Arena for many years to come. At worst, the city could be out $50 million and still lose the team.

After hours of testimony and discussion, the council voted 5-2 late Tuesday night to give the NHL $25 million for arena operating costs for next season. It’s the second $25 million Glendale will have forked over. The city did the same a year ago and the league collected that cash out of escrow last week.

So begins yet another lame duck year for the Phoenix Coyotes. Gotta feel for their fans.

Edited by nyrsuck26

I still don't understand why they got their own arena instead of sharing the US Airways Center with the Phoenix Suns.

It wasn't designed for hockey (like Barclays Center in Brooklyn) so the rink would be off center and you couldn't see a third of the ice from one side of the upper deck.

interior2.jpg

041110whiteout.jpg

See how the rink goes into the retractible stands on one side? US Airways Center (then America West Arena) wasn't even ten years old when they broke ground on Glendale Arena and so neither the Suns, nor the taxpayers, wanted a new arena downtown. So the Coyotes looked to Scottsdale for a hockey only arena at Los Arcos (which would have been the perfect location) but that got shot down so they went to Glendale which is out of the way from everything pretty much. The day the arena opened, it was literally in a cotton field and the parking lot still was a field. Now its all getting developed but it was amazing how remote the arena was when it opened.

Another year of failure, microscopic crowds, and losing $$$ in sh!tty Glendale all because Buttman and the NHL are too proud to admit a mistake. The way they've behaved in this whole Coyotes fiasco is nothing less than disgusting.

This is horesh!t. If I were a Glendale taxpayer, I'd be beside myself. A $50 million outlay over 2 years, and the team may STILL move? Lemme tell you something- if I lived in Glendale and that happened, I'd be leading a torch riot to the steps of city hall.

Surprised the NHL is allowing another year of this, as the publicity has been nothing but bad for the league. However, I am also not surprised because this is the seemingly never ending saga.

Now Bettman has to fight just as strong for the Thrashers to stay in Atlanta, or risk looking even worse.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) reporting an announcement that the Thrashers are moving to the 'Peg in the next 24-48 hours....so the Thrashers are safe!!

It all appears to be in place. From what I am told True North in Winnipeg will meet via conference call with the Atlanta ownership group tomorrow. The call will be conducted by Gary Bettman who reportedly is prepared to allow True North to move the franchise to Winnipeg.

Another source told me that Bettman has "promised the Owners the Coyotes will not be a financial burden for the current owners, and the assumption here is the transfer fee from the Atlanta deal will cover the Coyotes money from this past seasons and the coming season.

If true, I'd hate to be a Thrashers fan, as Buttman is basically using your team to cover the Coyotes. What a sh*t deal.

Edited by mmajeski06

Ha love the Devils fans talking crap on this.. Clearly forgot the Nashville Devils from '95.. "oh but it's different".. bs if we struggled for 10 years we'd be on just as much life support.. Hell, one bad season killed us let alone 10 but oh it's different.. Yeah right lolzzz

Edited by Colin226

I feel bad for the Coyote fans to have to go through another year in limbo and for the Jets fans that still hope to have their team again. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Thrashers over the summer. From a purely hockey fan standpoint without worrying about economics I hope the people of Winnipeg get a team back. I miss the Jets, Nordiques, and Whalers.

I'm glad for the chance to catch a game down there one more time. I had a blast last year. The arena is basically the Rock's twin, but with even better balcony and mezzanine sections. Outside reminded me of Universal Citywalk with the arena surrounded by bars and restaurants, not to mention free parking. Venture a few miles away from the arena and the average age is a thousand.

I'm still hoping for the Jets to come back, somehow someway. I just love the name, jerseys and the colors (provided they stay the same with the RBK updating). Anyway, if Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, what happens to the divisions? I'm assuming Nashville would go the Southeast, Minnesota to the Central and Winnipeg to the Northwest. Or I guess Winnipeg could go to the Central but it'd be silly to have a team north of the Wild in the Central. But who knows, Bettman might have a say in this so...

Edited by The Bootleg Saint

Ha love the Devils fans talking crap on this.. Clearly forgot the Nashville Devils from '95.. "oh but it's different".. bs if we struggled for 10 years we'd be on just as much life support.. Hell, one bad season killed us let alone 10 but oh it's different.. Yeah right lolzzz

WOW how right you are.

I'm still hoping for the Jets to come back, somehow someway. I just love the name, jerseys and the colors (provided they stay the same with the RBK updating). Anyway, if Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, what happens to the divisions? I'm assuming Nashville would go the Southeast, Minnesota to the Central and Winnipeg to the Northwest. Or I guess Winnipeg could go to the Central but it'd be silly to have a team north of the Wild in the Central. But who knows, Bettman might have a say in this so...

I heard Darren Dreger say the other day on NHL Live that Detroit DESPERATELY wants to move to the east and that they are monitoring the Thrashers/Winnipeg situation very closely. If they did (and I hope to God that doesn't ever happen, as I want NO PART of Detroit being in our conference for obvious reasons), I have no idea what the re-alignment would look like. But it seems the most sensible thing to do if the Thrashers move to the 'Peg is put the new Winnipeg team in the Northwest, move Colorado to the Pacific, move Dallas to the Central, and move Nashville to the Southeast to replace Atlanta. Boom.