T-Devs on Thin Ice

LousBallsack

I don't understand the hate for Ashmore. Be angry at the Devils, be angry at Lou, his son, fine. Trenton hockey fans got screwed. However, Ashmore did a solid job as the beat writer and really enjoyed it. He truly seemed bummed out yesterday on twitter to be losing a hockey beat. I never felt like he let his Ranger allegiance impact his coverage of a Devils owned team. He's a solid journalist and has always been friendly and accommodating whenever I had to ask him something in regards to the Trenton Thunder, one of his other beats. Lets not misplace anger here. I doubt he's happy to be losing a job.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the hate for Ashmore. Be angry at the Devils, be angry at Lou, his son, fine. Trenton hockey fans got screwed. However, Ashmore did a solid job as the beat writer and really enjoyed it. He truly seemed bummed out yesterday on twitter to be losing a hockey beat. I never felt like he let his Ranger allegiance impact his coverage of a Devils owned team. He's a solid journalist and has always been friendly and accommodating whenever I had to ask him something in regards to the Trenton Thunder, one of his other beats. Lets not misplace anger here. I doubt he's happy to be losing a job.

I really do not see much hate for Ashmore. From what I see it has only come from one poster.

Meh, Ashmore did for Trenton what Gulitti and Chere do for Newark, with pictures and video added. At his own cost, too, all for the love of the local team and the chance to peek behind the Lames' bvllsh!t curtain. But he deserves his chance to speak the truth. Yes, for the NHL Devils fans, it's not a pretty truth. Better to acknowledge it and have it out in the open, though, because everybody in the world of hockey knows what happened and why. So one might as well have a peek behind that curtain at the man pulling the levers that control the talking head and the smokescreen. Don't blame Toto if the Wizard is really a Humbug.

Yeah, I can see people not caring about minor league hockey (I don't), but I don't know how you can deny that Lou and Chris have no earthly idea (or no interest in) how to run what I guess you would call the "service-side" of a hockey organization. At any level. I mean, look what happened in NJ once they lost virtually their only fan-friendly feature: low prices. Hell, I play less now than I did years ago.

Any changes at the big level aren't coming from that end, that's for sure.

Adam at best they had 4-5 "prospects" and I use the term loosely on average going into the season, and a bunch of nicely cleanly shaven gentlemen that rounded out the roster along with a few turds. Hell even some of their best players were ones that Kowalsky traded for after being saddled with junk to start the season, Prough and Coleman. Hell using the term prospect is a real stretch lets be honest. Sadly the difference between prospects and free agents wasn't much most of the time. They didn't even care enough to go out a recruit quality echl level vets to at least keep the team respectable on the ice because winning was never ever a priority. If you're not going to admit that you really haven't been paying attenton. They jettisoned Henkel for absolutely no reason whatsoever. On the business side they saved money with the turds I'm sure. They just saw no need to make any effort whatsoever to ice a semi-winning team. Hell even Dean during a mid-season radio show said in the beginning I cared way to much about wins and loses I've come to realize it's not about wins but how we play, if we play well and lose I have learned to be happy with that.

Oh and this gem from Chris Lamoriello during the last road trip during a radio interview with Duva " We are about winning, we want our Trenton fans to think about winning a Kelly cup when they come to our games"

Anybody that second guesses Ashmore is crazy the guy did his work 80% of the time on his dime, maybe got a cold slice of pizza and luke warm soda. The guy gets all the credit in the world for having the balls to ask the tough questions to whoever is sitting in front of him. He's work is consistanty some of the best whether it's baseball, hockey, MMA it doesn't matter.

Failing is one thing that would have been easier to take, they way they went about it is what's bothering those of us that cared.

Edited by titans04

• 3 weeks later...

Preparing to turn back the clock to a time when the team had a marketing budget & cared about getting butts in seats….sensing Flyers involvement will be pretty deep.

That’s pretty much a wash for me. On the negative side I can’t stand the Flyers. I really, really can’t. However on the plus side I’m clearly in the minority in this area, and I’m getting the sense they’re really going to push to try and make it a success. Hopefully they’ll actually come through and not do what the Flyers usually do; get to the cusp of greatness and fold like a $2 suitcase. Also on the plus side is the fact Flyer affiliated teams generally tend to do fairly well. Still love the irony that during the lockout year both affiliates won championships; the one thing the big club can’t do. May it always be so…

Part of me is wanting to jump for joy and part of me is ‘once bitten, twice shy’. Getting this done is obviously a high priority for the league, and for Reading and Elmira who would see their travel costs shoot through the roof without all the Trenton games. Not to mention Wheeling.

Nothing official yet, but the stars look to be lining up to keep Trenton alive this season with Flyers affiliation. No idea who’s stepped up as owner; Flyers said previously they weren’t interested in ownership but in affiliation. I’ve heard today, or tomorrow something official will come out. Until then anything’s hearsay.

But when you consider:

-ECHL press release on Trenton suspending ops disappeared without a trace VERY quickly

-Trenton remained on the list of teams, with just an ECHL logo; contact information stayed

-Recently the contact information was replaced with TBA (the office address remains however)

-No schedule changes (though really the first three are more telling at this point)

It definitely hints that something’s up.

I personally will never go to another Trenton game if they are affiliated with the Phailures. Everyone is free to do as they please, but for me and my friends/family, it really is a no brainer. No Devils, no go.

Keep the state painted red.

This is the type of thinking that has killed the Trenton franchise. Once the team changed from Titans to Devils the geography (Philly Metro area) killed the franchise as Flyer fans said, "Devils, no go".

Hopefully, they can go back to being the Titans and I will support this New Jersey based team, regardless of ownership.

See, I’m not one to cut off my nose to spite my face. Besides, the state isn’t painted red; down here there’s a decidedly orange hue. It is what it is. Ironically after the Devils scorched earth campaign in Trenton there’s probably fewer Devils fans here now than there were before they came! I sat (and hopefully will continue to sit) with other Devils fans and it was universally agreed well before they shut down that they didn’t have a clue what they were doing down here & probably didn’t care either. They certainly didn’t care about all the empty seats, Chris said so himself.

I just want someone to come in that knows how to run a minor league hockey organization. That’s all I want.

See, I’m not one to cut off my nose to spite my face. Besides, the state isn’t painted red; down here there’s a decidedly orange hue. It is what it is. Ironically after the Devils scorched earth campaign in Trenton there’s probably fewer Devils fans here now than there were before they came! I sat (and hopefully will continue to sit) with other Devils fans and it was universally agreed well before they shut down that they didn’t have a clue what they were doing down here & probably didn’t care either. They certainly didn’t care about all the empty seats, Chris said so himself.

I just want someone to come in that knows how to run a minor league hockey organization. That’s all I want.

Then hope that it is Flyer organization who can take advantage of this. The have the promotional clout and the marketing smarts to get this franchise back on it's feet. The Devils do not have that type of media leverage nor the marketing intelligence. Trenton is a well established Philadelphia media market and the Flyers could easily revive this.

Then hope that it is Flyer organization who can take advantage of this. The have the promotional clout and the marketing smarts to get this franchise back on it's feet. The Devils do not have that type of media leverage nor the marketing intelligence. Trenton is a well established Philadelphia media market and the Flyers could easily revive this.

It will be interesting to what level they’re involved. Obviously the diehard Philly fan who bailed would come back. Right now what would be needed would be a cash infusion and saavy marketing to put it to best use before October arrives. From what I hear some of the people involved when the Titans were at their most successful are involved again; that can only be good news. They need a media blitz to make people aware and bring them back, and make sure they have a great time when they’re there. Pregame events, postgame events, lots of promotional tie ins….

It’s really not arguable there’s more Flyer fans in the area than fans of anyone else, so the affiliation would help bring some of them in. They could also court former Phantom fans and would probably get some partials out of that. But really, at this level it’s more about the overall game experience than anything else and that’s what killed the Devils more than the name change or #s of Flyers fans in the area. And that’s the #1 thing they have to get right, and consistently get it right, to breathe some life back into the franchise.

Nothing official yet, but the stars look to be lining up to keep Trenton alive this season with Flyers affiliation. No idea who’s stepped up as owner; Flyers said previously they weren’t interested in ownership but in affiliation. I’ve heard today, or tomorrow something official will come out. Until then anything’s hearsay.

But when you consider:

-ECHL press release on Trenton suspending ops disappeared without a trace VERY quickly

-Trenton remained on the list of teams, with just an ECHL logo; contact information stayed

-Recently the contact information was replaced with TBA (the office address remains however)

-No schedule changes (though really the first three are more telling at this point)

It definitely hints that something’s up.

Wow awesome! Looks promising, I really hope the Titans are brought back!

Sure hope so. I really wish the Devils had made it work, I was so pumped when they bought the team and thought it would be different since this was Jersey and natural to make the connection and get those that weren’t diehard fans of another team warm & fuzzy about “Jersey’s Team”.

The year they made the playoffs they did a great video they showed before Game 7; I’m glad I asked for a dvd copy of it. It was really the ultimate moment of the Trenton Devils, when they beat almost insurmountable odds and made the playoffs, lost the opener in 4 OTs (!!!) at home, stayed alive in Elmira to come back down 3-2 and won game 6 in double OT to force a game 7 no one – NO ONE thought they were gonna get to. Was really proud to be a Devil fan during that series. It was their only one, but boy they made it memorable.

I personally will never go to another Trenton game if they are affiliated with the Phailures. Everyone is free to do as they please, but for me and my friends/family, it really is a no brainer. No Devils, no go.

Keep the state painted red.

Did you go back when they were the Titans and affiliated with the Flyers? If so, you really have no leg to stand on. And people are either forgetting or don't realize that the Devils experiment in Trenton was atypical of the ECHL. Affiliations aren't as iron-clad as they are in the AHL and the NHL teams usually have minimal influence, if any, in the day-to-day operations of the ECHL clubs.

Before the Devils returned to Albany, there were rumors that the Rangers were going to move the Hartford Wolf Pack (now the Connecticut Whale) here instead. It would have been rather difficult for me to root for a team with Rangers ties, especially if they named it the Albany Rangers, but I probably would have come around eventually. Conversely, there are Rangers fans here who were rather vocal in their refusal to support anyone but the Rangers. Also, there are many others who bailed because the Devils returned, although that has more to do with the expectation of history repeating itself than with any specific NHL allegiance.

They don't have to be affiliated with the Devils. Just don't be affiliated with a an organization that is the enemy of "Jersey's Team" and who couldn't care less about the state.

makes zero sense why would an independent team not want to affliliate with the organization that clearly has the bigger presence in the market?? Not a Flyers fan here either, in fact if they never won another game that would be fine with me. As far as filling seats this gives Trenton the best shot possible to try and save the market. The number of returning Flyers fans will dwarf the loss of Devils fans that disappear. Most of them came dressed as green seats for the past 3 seasons anyway. Time will tell if it's too late, there's certainly a chance it could be. What maybe a factor this year is this season is the last year that Phantom season ticket holders can take advantage of a huge discount on Flyers sts (something along the lines of paying the same price they did for the Phantoms). Once that goes away it will price a lot of them out of their local hockey fix, that will help Trenton.

Well, I'm not surprised the Flyers fans outnumber the Devils fans in South Jersey. The state is as divided as Massachusetts (Boston and 'burbs vs. all the rest). I just hope there are enough hockey fans in the Trenton area, who still have jobs and disposable income, to support a minor league hockey team.

If you like hockey you'll support the local hockey team, even if their name is the Grittytown Guzzlers, their colors are puce, chartreuse and poo brown, their mascot is a drunken rabbit passed out in a trash can, their NHL affiliate is Columbus or Dallas, they play in a flooded church basement, and even hockeydb.com has never heard of half the team before this season. If you're loyal enough to go watch that kind of team play, you can call yourself a hockey fan. Buy a season ticket for that kind of team, and you need one of those white jackets with the long ties at the ends of the sleeves, but you're a serious hockey fan.

By that standard, of course, I quit being a hockey fan a year ago. :P

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS, TRENTON!