Brooks on DeBoer 7/24/11

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/red_wings_goalie_does_4UcWIMQwg9W5PCFAAorFWP

Pete DeBoer, we’re told, was found overbearing by veterans early in his three-year tenure behind the Florida bench after a lifetime in junior hockey, but the newly hired Devils’ coach modified his style and improved his communication skills following an intervention.

The Devils’ veterans, historically a notoriously difficult group to coach, have no choice but to get in line behind GM Lou Lamoriello’s

latest surprise hire, because, really, what’s the alternative, a repeat of last year’s fiasco?

DeBoer’s immediate success, or lack thereof, will be defined by his relationship with, and use of, Brodeur, and whether he will keep the franchise icon at the top of the order even if ... oh, sorry, was thinking about Derek Jeter.

Getting the most from Brodeur, who was outstanding the second half of last season, is paramount, but so is finding the way to maximize the production from both Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise, the team’s two best players who both play the same first-line, left wing position but obviously cannot at the same time.

By the way, if Parise remains healthy this season and gets to the open market next July 1, he undoubtedly will be the most sought-after free agent in NHL history, even entering a summer in which teams will be buying blind facing a Sept. 15, 2012, expiration of the collective bargaining agreement.

Other than the hyperbole in the last paragraph, what exactly was wrong with that?

There was nothing wrong with it at all. It's just pre-programmed in the minds of many Devils fans that if it comes from the Post, it must be crap (because most of the time it is).

If we don't sign or trade Parise before he's a UFA; that's a horrific blunder... and would almost ruin Lou's legacy.

It's simple with Parise; iron out the details and sign him long term like they both want...

or trade him like Atlanta did to Kovy when they were still chasing a playoff spot... but hopefully for a better return.

I found the whole article extremely amatuerish and didn't come away feeling like I got any new information whatsoever. Nothing was wrong with it, but you can get much more interesting points of view from reading 2 pages of the DeBoer thread than the horsesh!t the NYP spews in its articles.

It's his slapshot Sunday opinion piece. I didn't see anything wrong with it

Absolutely no new content or analysis in the article along with an unneeded reference to the Yankees. Any moron with a keyboard can write something that says nothing, oh wait, a moron just did.

He'd definitely be more desired than Kovalchuk was. Who else has been more highly coveted than a young Zach Parise if he becomes a UFA next year?

the first ones that come to mind are Sakic & Fedorov but maybe they were RFAs signed to Offer Sheets. I love Zach's play, so its no knock on him at all, I just thought the statement was a bit much.