Parise to join Devils

Weekes Head

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very easy to leave here, but then the obsessive compulsives gotta return...

Here's the TSN report:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=78306&hubName=nhl

Report: Devils sign Parise

TSN.ca Staff

3/29/2004

Broadcast reports out of North Dakota indicate that University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux star Zach Parise has signed with the New Jersey Devils.

Parise, the son of former NHLer J.P. Parise, tied for the scoring lead at this year's World Junior Hockey Tournament, scoring 11 points for Team USA.

A radio station out of North Dakota is reporting that the Devils have signed the 5'11", 180-pound sophomore centre, a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award this season, given annually to the nation's top college player.

Parise tallied 23 goals and 32 assists in 37 games this season with North Dakota after being selected by the Devils with the 17th overall selection in the 2003 NHL draft.

Trust me, Parise is better off being signed. Parise has dominated college hockey, the players are at a lower level then him. He cannot gain anything by playing against lower talented. Plus his endurence sucks, staying in the NCAA won't get him ready for the NHL with his 40 games that he plays. The AHL will get him used to travel and a sumer with Bure will get him in shape.

If we are losing and not scoring goals I expect to see him in the playoffs. Think Spezza with Ott last year; if you need a spark, why not try a young guy with skills over someone like Bicek or Rass. Hopefully we'll never know, but if we're playing poorly then expect Zach to make his debut in the postseason for us.

Thats just it. Some nights the offense is terrific and other nights its completely MIA. It's a Jeckyl and Hyde kind of dillemna this season for the coaching staff so it makes sense to add Parise now. Zach's defensive game should be a bit better then what Spezza had for the Sens against NJ.

The Devils offense has not been MIA in the past few weeks (not saying you said that, just something I wanted to point out).

Yeah, one line has got the lion's share of the points and thank god for that. But every line is getting chances and pounding the nets and that's something that at least looks good to me. Those who can't watch every game might not be seeing what I am. Like Burns is saying, yeah, the record of late says one thing on paper, but he likes the way the team is playing and so do I. I feel a lot better about it all then I did a few weeks ago.

And I still want Zach anyway, just to see what we see...

ESB, I don't sgree that we have been playing well offensively. Almost all of the the points have been coming from Neids and the EGG line, I just don't see us going far against the better teams without Kozlov, Langs or Friesen getting hot. The Madden and Pando line seems to be good for a goal every 7-8 games, I'm not expecting much out of them as they get assigned the tougher lines in the playoffs. We are getting alot of shots but not making teams pay... Hopefully one of the other guys gets hot and we can put a nice run together when it counts. I am sure tired of seeing Devils 40 shots, 3 goals and opponent 18 shots, 2 goals... of course I'd be more tired of it if we were losing!

ESB, I don't sgree that we have been playing well offensively. Almost all of the the points have been coming from Neids and the EGG line, I just don't see us going far against the better teams without Kozlov, Langs or Friesen getting hot. The Madden and Pando line seems to be good for a goal every 7-8 games, I'm not expecting much out of them as they get assigned the tougher lines in the playoffs. We are getting alot of shots but not making teams pay... Hopefully one of the other guys gets hot and we can put a nice run together when it counts. I am sure tired of seeing Devils 40 shots, 3 goals and opponent 18 shots, 2 goals... of course I'd be more tired of it if we were losing!

Well I was just at two games. And all of the lines were going. All of them. They were all threatening. They were all getting serious scoring chances.

And I like that a lot better than what I was looking at a few weeks ago.

We needed a few bounces in the Tampa Bay game, guys were in front of the net. Well when you play with confidence -- look at the EGG line, it's proof -- then you start to get those.

Now these could still go against us in the playoffs. But there's no sense in fretting about that. We're not playing like crap. We've outplayed teams regularly in losses. With our playoff experience, I just think it looks better. I'm not counting any chickens, I'm commenting on what I've seen and it's not as dire as many MANY here seem to think.

And we've gotten 40 shots, 2 goals for about three years now. We should be used to it. ;)

Its a win-win for the Devils as this isn't the same team as last season which always found ways to get clutch goals late in games from all four lines along with regular offense from the D. With the serious dropoff in expected offensive production from guys like Friesen, Langenbrunner, Madden, Stevenson, Marshall, etc... Parise will be warmly welcomed upfront. Pat needs to have 2-3 good scoring lines rolling and a guy with Parise's instincts should bolster that pretty well.

You are right, ESB, our style of close our eyes, shoot hard and aim at the crest has been going on for years!

I agree we are looking better then we have, we just need to start burying some of those chances so we don't keep outplaying people only to tie the period on one good shot from the other team (see the first period yesterday for a good example).

You are right, ESB, our style of close our eyes, shoot hard and aim at the crest has been going on for years!

SC Devs Fan, you mean there is no such thing as a '6-hole' goal (scored THROUGH the goalie's chest)?

Hmm...someone needs to have a talk w/Madden. And soon.

:argh: