Not the Devils year...But please

westcoastdevfan

Who is left from those Ottawa teams? Alfredsson for sure. But who else? Wade Redden? Maybe Chris Phillips? Radek Bonk?

Tucker, Domi, and Marchment are still on Toronto, Pat Quinn is still the coach, and Toronto still sucks.

In 96 and 98 we beat ourselves.

so what's the point, it's not the players you despise, it's the franchise. When I look at the 96 and 98 results I see Ottawa def. New Jersey, not New Jersey def. New Jersey. We beat ourselves is a tired old excuse, Ottawa beat us and I dislike them for it. Quinn and the Leafs may be whiners but there is no real reason for Devils fans to dislike them since we always had the upper hand.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By that logic we shouldn't hate Philadelphia, either. When did they beat us?

Personally, I hate the players, not necessarily the laundry. Often both.

And again, those two Devil teams beat themselves. I can't hate it when a team that doesn't deserve to win loses.

Edited by Triumph

Well, if you'd been on this board very long, you would know that I'm a fan of whatever team Nieuwy is on, first. B )

I'm also a Stars fan (I live in Dallas and that's how I became a Nieuwy fan), and now I'm a Devils fan, too because I got to know them since Joe & Jamie came over. So I may still be a Leafs fan even after Nieuwy retires. Who knows?

But I don't have the history of hating Leafs/Rangers/Flyers, etc like most of the posters here do, so it's not a problem for me. (Although I really do dislike the Flyers!) And I've really enjoyed getting to know other teams and the players, which wouldn't have happened if Nieuwy was still in Dallas. So to me - it's all good! :clap:

Toronto has the biggest collection of thugs, scumbags and whiny bitches this side of

the NBA, and that in itself is enough reason to hate them and wish the team plane

crashes (I'm pissy and overly dramatic.. deal :P )

but yet they have the Ron Francis'es and Mats Sundin's on the planet too

(bah.. joe this... again personal reasons !!)

and I have a non-hockey reason to want to see Ottawa do well that transcends all the

other stuff that ESB can vouch for without saying what it is ....

I would get a kick out of Vancouver winning the Cup and Bertuzzi's name NOT on it !!

If our boys get eliminated, as long as the flyers/leafs also lose i will be as ok with the outcome as i can be with the Devils not taking home the cup again.

part of me would like to see the isles take it if we get eliminated b/c they're the closest (only?) other kinda local team i DONT hate. i feel like they're a sibling:

sure you fight and they suck when its all even, but when they are being picked on i'll be there to stand up for 'em.

-emily

If our boys get eliminated, as long as the flyers/leafs also lose i will be as ok with the outcome as i can be with the Devils not taking home the cup again.

I don't want Detroit to win either. I like being able to say my team is tied for the most cups in the last decade.

Edited by Don Whiting

The Senators are the team I'll be cheering for if the Devs are out of it.

And my hatred of the Leafs has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Devils fan. I hate the Leafs (& Leafs fans) for their arrogance and the extent to which they whine. Whine whine whine whine.. they have a reputation for it. About time they were denied the cup for yet another year. Go Sens go!! :clap:

No . . . not all hockey fans.

And how is that not arrogance on your part, to say all hockey fans hate the Leafs, or all Leafs fans are whiners???? There are a few on this board, and last I checked, none of them are whiners.

You need to keep things in perspective. I, for one, don't appreciate being called a whiner, or a non-hockey fan, just because I cheer for a team you hate.

No . . . not all hockey fans.

And how is that not arrogance on your part, to say all hockey fans hate the Leafs, or all Leafs fans are whiners???? There are a few on this board, and last I checked, none of them are whiners.

You need to keep things in perspective. I, for one, don't appreciate being called a whiner, or a non-hockey fan, just because I cheer for a team you hate.

Nieuwy, you do NOT whine. And I'm sure that a majority of Leafs fans don't.

Unfortunately, the vocal ones we have run into on other boards (especially the ESPN boards) do whine. Some, as with SOME fans of ALL teams (yes, including ours) can be obnoxious. I remember being hounded by a pack of drunk TO fans as I walked through the Tunnel of Terror at the Meadowlands on my way to the CAA for a playoff game between the two teams. They were screaming obscenities at me. I have had individual incidents with Flyer and Ranger fans but NEVER had I felt physically unsafe before...until I ran into these TO fans.

So, unfortunately, some TO fans have a bad reputation with some of us that will never go away. However, it should NOT be spread to all Leafs fans. I certainly don't think of you that way. You've never been anything but a reasonable person who cares about the teams you root for...as I'm sure most Leafs fans are.

(But the Leafs are still EVIL...sorry, couldn't resist :evil: )

Hey am I pulling a Scott Stevens not stepping up to the plate here supporting Nieuwy25 and admitting I'm a closeted Leaf fan? Nahhhh... you all know I am :evil:

Domi-schmomi - his flaw is a disgusting amount of pride. A fatal dose nearly. He made a really stupid mistake and it's tarnished a pretty decent career and made him a goon with no honor. My hating him for life won't change anything. I just think whaaatever - Leafs lost the series anyhow didn't they? I dont want them winning the Cup but I wouldn't mind them enjoying a vistory over Ottawa.

Edited by Pepperkorn

My experience with Leafs fans is not particularly from other boards.

Here here:

"The Leafs' image problem comes ever so slightly from its fans, but mostly from the team itself. In Toronto, the Leafs are seen as a fine blend of talent and grit, loaded with classy players. Elsewhere they are seen as an group of arrogant, whining bullies more properly ensconced in hockey's dark days of the 1970s than in the present era."

"And after all this, the Leafs whine about the officiating. Every game. It's the same old story. Win or lose, the officials screwed up."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020508/col_strachan-sun.html

Whine whine whine whinw whine. Sorry guys, but that's all they do. :blink:

they learned it WELL from Fat Quinn... in fact I still swear it's why they NEVER will

win with Quinn.. when you scream whine and complain after every loss about the

refs.. the smell in the air.. the perfume on the guy interviewing you.. even the

lack of coffee in the locker room.. it creates an aura... a BAD aura... a reason to lose

type of aura... well it's ok that we lost.. the refs have it in for us... blah blah blah :P

not to mention the assorted group of dirtbags on the team :D

I used to like the leafs till quinn got there....