More Bad News for Devils

HockyStr99

jk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oD...ov=ap&type=lgns

Devils center Igor Larionov announces retirement

April 19, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey Devils center Igor Larionov announced his retirement Monday.

The 43-year-old Larionov, the oldest player to compete in the NHL this season, signed with New Jersey as a free agent in September. He had hoped to win a fourth Stanley Cup to cap a professional career that began in 1980 in the former Soviet Union.

But the Philadelphia Flyers ousted the defending Cup champions in an opening-round series that ended Saturday.

He will wear a uniform once more for a farewell exhibition in Moscow in December.

``It will be my first time coming back to play for the Russians,'' Larionov said. ``It will be a chance to say goodbye.''

Larionov finishes his NHL career with 169 goals and 644 points in 921 regular season games. In addition to the Devils, Larionov played for the Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers and Detroit Red Wings, with whom he won Stanley Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

Larionov saw limited action in his final season, appearing in only 49 games for the Devils with one goal and 11 points.

Prior to coming to North America in 1989, Larionov played 12 seasons in the Soviet Elite League and won Olympic gold medals with the Soviet team in the Winter games in 1984 and 1988.

``When you leave the game, it's sad,'' Larionov said. ``It's time to move on. There are things in my mind that I want to do, but I'm not going to rush into anything.''

Edited by DevilMinder

Igor was a Devil???

don't remember him pcontiruting anything onthe ice???

pcontiruting....

I think red just made up a whole new word.

Wow.

kinds fits RD, you guys have no idea what i was trying to say.... and we have no idea what the hell he was doing when he was playing!!!

I have to admit that was one of my worst typing moments!!

Igor may not have had much left this year but I'm not going to remember him that way. I'll remember him as a smart crafty center who made his teammates on the ice better. The Russian Gretzky.

Anyone think he could be a Hall of Famer? I'm not basing this on statistics. He put up decent numbers for a guy who entered the league over 30 years of age.

But all his contributions to the game from an international standpoint could be considered.

Regardless, he had a nice NHL career.