Is Calgary a fluke?

Guest Devsrule

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Calgary a fluke?

• -Yes
    • -No

The only reason Anahiem got so far was because of Giguiere becoming a stonewall. Kiprusoff has been excelente, but is not the only reason the team has gone so far. The whole team is playing well and they are also being lifted by their captain. I think they will be decent next year (hopefully there will be one) but perrenial contenders they are not.

almost every year you have a cinderella or "fluke" team. Calgary is this years.

2004 Calgary

2003 Anaheim

2002 Carolina

2001 Pittsburgh/St. Louis

2000 None

1999 Buffalo

1998 Washington

1997 Rangers

1996 Florida

1995 Chicago

1994 Vancouver

1993 LA

1992 Chicago/Boston

1991 Minnesota

1990 Washington

I don't think they are a fluke. I think they're a playoff team. Maybe they won't get this far next year, maybe they will.

I think the difference is mind-set. We always say we -- the Devils that is -- get as far as they do because of their will in addition to their talent.

And I see that in Calgary. I had questions about Anaheim and Carolina's... though of course they had some players to make it happen.

Calgary has had EVERYTHING roll their way this year (kinda like the Devils did last year)

those kinda runs don't happen every year but they make them all the more special to

watch

they should make the playoffs next year though

that's a LONG time from now though

Calgary will be even stronger next season in the regular season. Remember they are without their top center with Reinprecht, their 2nd best defensmen with Lydman, their 4th best defensmen in Gauthier and their nice rooie Lombardi. This team will also add Phaneuf on an already strong blueline.

It would be unfair for me to predict them to repeat since so many things must go well in order to repeat including being healthy and timely goaltending. This team is here to stay for a long time if they can afford it.

almost every year you have a cinderella or "fluke" team. Calgary is this years.

2004 Calgary

2003 Anaheim

2002 Carolina

2001 Pittsburgh/St. Louis

2000 None

1999 Buffalo

1998 Washington

1997 Rangers

1996 Florida

1995 Chicago

1994 Vancouver

1993 LA

1992 Chicago/Boston

1991 Minnesota

1990 Washington

Pittsburgh was a fluke in 2001 with Mario, Jagr, Kovalev, Lang and Hrdina. I know I am missing someone else but any team with Mario is not a fluke team. St Louis a fluke? I think they lead the league in points that year.

Your list is a joke along with your argument. Because there is always a cinderella team Calgary is a fluke....haha watch them play.

Pittsburgh was a fluke. Hedberg was a terrible goalie, got hot vs. Buffalo that year and then faced us and sucked a HUGE one.

You can tell Pitts was a fluke when the Devs just manhandled them the whole series. You don't get manhandled in the East Finals unless you are a fluke.

Plus Pittsburgh was a #6 seed. Anyone below the #5 seed that gets to the Conference Finals or especially the Finals is pretty much either a Cinderella or a fluke. St. Louis wasn't really a fluke (they didn't win the President's Trophy though, the Avs did) but let's face it how many times do they get past the first or second round?

Your list is a joke along with your argument. Because there is always a cinderella team Calgary is a fluke....haha watch them play.

Uh, even the Flames web site calls them a cinderella team. (Well, they use "cinderfella" to try to keep some dignity, I guess.)

I hate the term fluke. There's no such thing in sports. If a team has a great run, they earn it. You can use as many examples of teams that had that and fell back to earth as you want. But when a team makes a run, they proved that they were good. Some teams can't handle the extra pressure and higher expectations the following year. That's what comes with it. I just don't like saying someone's a fluke because it's not all lucky bounces that gets a team there. It's will and determination.

In ending, were the '95 Devils a fluke because the '96 team didn't make the playoffs? Not at all.

Ah yes, they'll have the advantage of a long "summer" unlike other Cup Finalists.

If there is a locjout does the team get to keep the cup until it starts up again.. or do they only get to hold onto it the same amount of time as when the season begins normally!???

Ah yes, they'll have the advantage of a long "summer" unlike other Cup Finalists.

If there is a locjout does the team get to keep the cup until it starts up again.. or do they only get to hold onto it the same amount of time as when the season begins normally!???

Dunno, did the Rangers keep it longer? I don't remember. :noclue:

If by fluke you mean non-perrenial cup challengers... they will be perrenial 1st, 2nd round exits... with occasional visits to the finals, and SCF; but not perrenial cup contenders.... unless they grow more talent or go out and acquire it... Teams can only band so long with lack of skill... eventually the hard work ethic loses to complacancy... Dynastys happen when you have hard work mixed with skill, which means you dont have to work as hard to get the same results.

Calgary simply tries harder than than the Colorado's, Vancouvers, San Joses etc.

Pittsburgh was a fluke. Hedberg was a terrible goalie, got hot vs. Buffalo that year and then faced us and sucked a HUGE one.

You can tell Pitts was a fluke when the Devs just manhandled them the whole series. You don't get manhandled in the East Finals unless you are a fluke.

Words cannot describe how annoyed I was after that series....first Mario lemieux's miracle goal in Game 6 and then Gilmour ole' defense in Game 7...I still shake my head when i think of that series!!! :angry:

Fluke is a horrible word to use, a fluke wins 1 game, a real team wins 16.

That's just it though, how many of these Cinderellas HAVE won 16? None. Most have enough to get to the semis or the Finals before they get exposed.

When a team does nothing before AND nothing after a great run I have to classify it as a fluke...so far Anaheim looks like one but they could bounce back next year. Minnesota has to bounce back next year too or I'll classify them as one. Carolina, definitely one. Caps, Panthers. The Devils missing the playoffs didn't show they were a fluke, it showed that year was a fluke, because they darn near won it in '94 and were right back as top seed of the conference in '97.

I don't think Calgary is a fluke. They've got enough talent and young (cheap) players to hold it together for awhile. I like their coach, too. I think they could make a good run again next year.