2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508041/article/scrimmage-roundup-buffalo-bills-qb-woes-intensify

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2015/08/buffalo_bills_quarterbacks.html

..interesting article about the QB happenings 350 miles North

"Reports from Bills training camp since July 31 have been dreadful when it comes to the quarterback play. While certainly trusting the astute reporting of many of my colleagues, much like the kids in the movie "Stand by Me" who sought out the dead body of Ray Brower, I had to see this awful quarterback play for myself. Yep, it's that bad. Matt Cassel may end up the starting quarterback in week one when Buffalo takes on Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts at Ralph Wilson Stadium. If he gets the gig, it will be almost by default. He has done nothing to command the job but also has done nothing to completely lose it. He's calm in the pocket and shows the poise you would expect from an 11-year NFL veteran. His deep ball flutters, but it gets there. Cassel has also done nothing to suggest he'll be any better than Kyle Orton was for this team last year in a 9-7 season, when he took over for EJ Manuel in the fifth game of the year. Manuel does not look like a quarterback that has progressed one bit since being drafted in the first round of 2013. He still has a weird delivery, almost as if he's chucking a dart as opposed to a football. He overthrows open receivers deep and under throws them on screen passes. And now, he has added an issue in the early part of this year's training camp in fumbling snaps from center.

Manuel has the physical abilities and throws the best-looking football on the team, but it's almost as if he's a fastball pitcher that can only occasionally find the strike zone."

Edited by Beezer34

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508041/article/scrimmage-roundup-buffalo-bills-qb-woes-intensify

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2015/08/buffalo_bills_quarterbacks.html

..interesting article about the QB happenings 350 miles North

"Reports from Bills training camp since July 31 have been dreadful when it comes to the quarterback play. While certainly trusting the astute reporting of many of my colleagues, much like the kids in the movie "Stand by Me" who sought out the dead body of Ray Brower, I had to see this awful quarterback play for myself. Yep, it's that bad. Matt Cassel may end up the starting quarterback in week one when Buffalo takes on Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts at Ralph Wilson Stadium. If he gets the gig, it will be almost by default. He has done nothing to command the job but also has done nothing to completely lose it. He's calm in the pocket and shows the poise you would expect from an 11-year NFL veteran. His deep ball flutters, but it gets there. Cassel has also done nothing to suggest he'll be any better than Kyle Orton was for this team last year in a 9-7 season, when he took over for EJ Manuel in the fifth game of the year. Manuel does not look like a quarterback that has progressed one bit since being drafted in the first round of 2013. He still has a weird delivery, almost as if he's chucking a dart as opposed to a football. He overthrows open receivers deep and under throws them on screen passes. And now, he has added an issue in the early part of this year's training camp in fumbling snaps from center.

Manuel has the physical abilities and throws the best-looking football on the team, but it's almost as if he's a fastball pitcher that can only occasionally find the strike zone."

A welcome development for the rest of the AFC East.  Funny though that the few times I had a chance to watch EJ Manuel he didn't seem all that bad. 

A welcome development for the rest of the AFC East.  Funny though that the few times I had a chance to watch EJ Manuel he didn't seem all that bad. 

When the season officially gets underway, Ryan Tannehill will be the best QB in the Division up until Week 6.  Of Miami's first 4 games, 3 will be against teams who were 4-12 last season.

This is Tannehill's chance to stick his flag in the franchise, and say: This is my team until I say it isn't.

If the fish can pad a nice 3-1, 4-1 record before Brady gets back.. they just may win the AFC East.

So apparently Geno got in a locker room fight with some scrub (now cut) and is now out 6-8 weeks with a broken jaw :rolleyes:

talk about getting the "maybe you should be more like Cam Newton" message all wrong :lol:

....ok ....I'm done now....back to stalling our fantasy football draft yet again :)

This guy Enemkpali probably just did you guys a big favor lol.

..it's not even so much that, as the perception it creates on an organizational level. (and really, inadvertently makes Rex look like some sovereign commander)

Between this sh!t with Sheldon, and now this.. it's like Bowles has no control over this team. Sad.. just really sad.

I'm taking Fitzpatrick over Geno any day.  Fitzpatrick would've taken the job in time anyway...he's just better than Geno.  Should be occasionally maddening, but at least semi-competent, and sometimes better. 

Hugh Douglas is saying he suspects recovery time will be closer to 10 weeks. That would bring Geno back right around Week 6, Week 7.

..if that's the case then #1) You could put him on the injury exempt list.. and; #2) The Jets now REALLY need to get another QB on this team.

Edited by Beezer34

..it's not even so much that, as the perception it creates on an organizational level. (and really, inadvertently makes Rex look like some sovereign commander)

Between this sh!t with Sheldon, and now this.. it's like Bowles has no control over this team. Sad.. just really sad.

Pretty much this...it's not that it hurts the Jets so much ON the field though it once again destroys their credibility off the field - but it sure hurts Geno Smith. If the Jets are 2-1 or 3-2 when he comes back and Fitz isn't Ryan Lindley bad how does he get his job back? He doesn't have the cache where you need to put him back when healthy. Heck you might not want him back anyway depending on what precipitated the fight, did Geno steal a GF or something of that ilk?

At this point I almost don't care if they go 2-14, just cleanse the poison out of here. Losing is one thing but losing AND being an embarrassment? Intolerable.

Edited by NJDevs4978

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508631/article/geno-smith-will-miss-610-weeks-after-sucker-punch

Jets fans searching for answers on what caused the punch aren't likely to be satisfied with the answers.

"I'll let them tell you," Bowles said of Smith and Enemkpali. "It's something very childish that sixth-graders could have talked about ... If they want to tell you what happened they'll tell you what happened. I told them I wouldn't say anything."

Here comes a bunch of shows about how fighting among teammates is now a serious problem and can't be allowed to continue under any circumstances, hosted by a bunch of smarmy know-it-alls...not saying they'd be wrong, in that the last thing anyone wants is to lose players to this crap...but it's the way that it will all be presented that will be annoying. 

So who signs this IKEmpali first, Rex or the Pats? :P

You forgot Dallas.

The problem is IK isn't anything special.  If he was, the Jets (or any other team in a similar situation with a far-less-than-franchise QB being on the receiving end of that punch) would've suspended him for 2-4 games and gotten him Anger Management classes.  You also would've heard "unfortunate" and "accident" a lot (and often in order).  Of course, the exception to that rule would've been if he'd broken the jaw of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or some QB like that.  Then the player is released and we get a "we don't tolerate that kind of violence."  All about the abilities of the players involved.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You forgot Dallas.

The problem is IK isn't anything special. If he was, the Jets (or any other team in a similar situation with a far-less-than-franchise QB being on the receiving end of that punch) would've suspended him for 2-4 games and gotten him Anger Management classes. You also would've heard "unfortunate" and "accident" a lot (and often in order). Of course, the exception to that rule would've been if he'd broken the jaw of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or some QB like that. Then the player is released and we get a "we don't tolerate that kind of violence." All about the abilities of the players involved.

True he'd fit right in Jerryworld too. And apparently IK assaulted an undercover cop in college too, per PFT.

Somehow I don't think this kind of thing ever happens TO those guys you mentioned and they're alpha dogs too...so while IK's clearly a whack job I can't exactly absolve Geno automatically either. I mean it's not like this **** happens to other lousy QB's, Geno must be doing something to grate people

Wow just unreal, comical. I mean what an insane first week of training camp (with the banner flying and brawling) but of course leave it to the Jets to put the cherry on top of what was an already injury plagued camp, with a classic, comical "Only the Jets" type moment. Sure other teams have fights, but only our team knocks out the QB for 6-10 weeks. Regimes change, philosophies change...but some things seem to always stay the same. Just an enormous embarrassment. Enormous.

But here is my prediction...Ryan Fitzpatrick will now be the starting QB...and he will not relinquish that role even when Geno is back healthy.

If Geno is the best QB on the Roster (and there's some debate on this), then the good news is that he won't miss a TON of reg season time if it's closer to 6 weeks (6 weeks is, of course, vs. Miami in London) AND it's early enough in camp that someone can be brought up to speed in case the worst happens.  I think they hold him out until after the Fin game, then use the bye as his mini-training camp if they can.  If he's not healthy, and has to go on PUP?  That changes a whole lot; Geno wouldn't be eligible to come back until either @Pats or @Raiders (I don't remember if Reserve/PUP is 6 weeks or 6 games, the Jets bye is week 4), and then he has to get up to speed on a historically tough site for the Jets to play, followed by 2 good pass rushing teams (Jags and Bills).  

Re: Sheldon Richardson, that's not on Bowles.  Dumbass will be dumbass, and I'm sure he was a dumbass long before Todd Bowles put pen to paper.  But if incidents like this continue to happen...then it becomes less of "this IK dude's shady" and more "WTF Bowles?"

True he'd fit right in Jerryworld too. And apparently IK assaulted an undercover cop in college too, per PFT.

Somehow I don't think this kind of thing ever happens TO those guys you mentioned and they're alpha dogs too...so while IK's clearly a whack job I can't exactly absolve Geno automatically either. I mean it's not like this **** happens to other lousy QB's, Geno must be doing something to grate people

I was more just pointing out that talent levels factor in heavily in these decisions.  This guy not being elite made it very easy for the Jets to cut him.  If he was a top player, they'd come down on him for sure, but I think he'd still be in the organization. 

Here is my prediction...Ryan Fitzpatrick will now be the starting QB...and he will not relinquish that role even when Geno is back healthy.

I hope you're right.. but the Jets cannot put all their egg's in one basket here. They spent too much money in the offseason to gamble that Fitzpatrick will stay healthy an entire 16 games. They need to sign someone in the event Fitz gets hurt.

mike vick did nothing last season with rhe jets & now hes a yr older. u would be better off with ej manuel when the bills cut him in 2 weeks

Michael Vick wasn't nearly as bad as the NY Media narrative suggests. He went 1-2 last season on a team that was 4-12. He'd be a fine backup to Fitzpatrick.