2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Jets guard Oday Aboushi has been suspended without pay for the first game of the season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy #nyj

From his reps: Aboushi was pulled over on Jan. 10. Cops found a small amount of marijuana. About accepted traffic violation. …

Aboushi’s reps say all other charges were dismissed. #nyj

lol is Mary-Louise Parker growing a weed garden at Florham Park? Who's the weed supplier and who else is getting popped this camp?

I think what helped Petty is that he wasn't getting swarmed every two seconds. Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition...Lions had a killer pass rush last week. Petty looked a lot better this week, going through his progressions, finding nobody open and using his checkdowns, showing touch as well as arm strength. Kid looks solid. Fitz looked solid as well. Overall I like how the offense looked today and LOVE what I see from Ivory. This guy is poised for a huge year if he avoids injury, he's really Marshawn Lynch Jr. Runs with ferocious reckless abandon. And Powell looks like he's added another gear this year.

Leonard Williams looked great, getting tons of pressure up the middle.

At this point I'd mothball Ivory for the regular season to see more of Stacy. Eventually we're going to need to see some of Ridley as well

Now for the bad news. Kerley suffered a concussion...I do hope he makes the team but he's fighting Enunwa now for the #3 receiver spot.

Edited by '7'

I went to the game last night, my first game live in almost 10 years and I don't care if I ever go to another game in my life.

Dvrs have ruined live football for me. For the past bunch of years I have been watching the games way after they start and been fast forwarding so I can watch just the plays.

I was so bored last night, the commercial breaks and the amount of standing around everyone does is insane. Add that to the drunk morons around me and that was enough for me to never wanna go again.

I'll still watch but it will be from my couch.

Know what you mean SH. I still like going up to Foxborough once or twice a year (and usually one other stadium), but yeah, all of the TV timeouts have a way of dragging things out and occasionally making things feel a little disjointed. I'm also done with cold-weather games...I go in September or October. Bundling up and freezing my nuts off just isn't fun to me anymore...I'd rather be warm and have access to much better food than what's available in stadiums.

I got cold-called for season ticket interest the other day cause I had printed out a ticket for the green-white practice which I didn't even wind up going to lol...one of the reasons I wouldn't ever consider season tickets (along with the fact 20% of your invoice is going to be for preseason games) IS the November-December thing.  I'm not risking advancing money for games at that time of year when the team could be 3-7, especially with the flex option on Sunday nights.  I did wind up going to a New Year's Eve game in 2006 where the Jets clinched a playoff spot and the weather was mild for December 31 - the only reason along with the team's position I got tickets that week, but that's the exception and not the norm.

Not that I would ever consider getting baseball season tickets but at least there you don't have to worry about wasting money on preseason games.  Hockey it's less than 10% (3/44) and same with the NBA.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This is a problem the NFL has in all but a few die hard football hotspots. You have Sunday Ticket, gorgeous 70 inch HDTVS (with 4k football eventually) people flat out don't want to pay insane prices to go sit in a frigid stadium and then get home at 1am on a Sunday. And the commercial breaks are just over the top obscene. Not that the NFL will ever do anything about it.

People will shell out for playoff games and meaningful late season football. That's when the die hards arrive at the stadium, but I mean you see empties in Pittsburgh now....in Washington. Never used to happen.

This is a problem the NFL has in all but a few die hard football hotspots. You have Sunday Ticket, gorgeous 70 inch HDTVS (with 4k football eventually) people flat out don't want to pay insane prices to go sit in a frigid stadium and then get home at 1am on a Sunday. And the commercial breaks are just over the top obscene. Not that the NFL will ever do anything about it.

People will shell out for playoff games and meaningful late season football. That's when the die hards arrive at the stadium, but I mean you see empties in Pittsburgh now....in Washington. Never used to happen.

Even Green Bay had trouble selling out a playoff game. It's a little hard for me to relate, since I root for an out of market team, and can't tell you a reason why I'm not actually going to the games.

And relatedly I think Mark Cuban was onto something when he said the NFL is coming close to over saturation. Adding two more games to the regular season or expanding the playoffs could be the death knell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Amaro out for the season. Shoulder surgery

Idzik, the gift that keeps on giving

Milliner - Potential bust, oft injured. But at least we'll likely see him again

Geno - Bust and a laughingstock

Sheldon - Great player, 10 cent head.

Brian Winters - Below average player

Oday Aboushi - may be cut any day now

William Campbell - Who

Tommy Bohanan - Mediocre FB, but a 7th rounder that can stick with a team is always a bonus

Calvin Pryor - played out of position and possibly ill suited for the modern NFL. Early results not good

Jace Amaro - underwhelming first season, lots of drops, 2nd season wiped out

Dexter McDougle - Jury still out

Jalen Saunders - bouncing around the league

Shaq Evans - bubble player. may not make the team

Dakota Dozier - cool name, nothing player

Jeremiah George - Who?

Brandon Dixon - WHO?

Quincy Enunwa - may actually be a player

IK - lol

Tajh Boyd - joke

Trevor Reilly - trying to stick with the team somehow, gutty kid with little talent

Amaro out for the season. Shoulder surgery

Idzik, the gift that keeps on giving

Milliner - Potential bust, oft injured. But at least we'll likely see him again

Geno - Bust and a laughingstock

Sheldon - Great player, 10 cent head.

Brian Winters - Below average player

Oday Aboushi - may be cut any day now

William Campbell - Who

Tommy Bohanan - Mediocre FB, but a 7th rounder that can stick with a team is always a bonus

Calvin Pryor - played out of position and possibly ill suited for the modern NFL. Early results not good

Jace Amaro - underwhelming first season, lots of drops, 2nd season wiped out

Dexter McDougle - Jury still out

Jalen Saunders - bouncing around the league

Shaq Evans - bubble player. may not make the team

Dakota Dozier - cool name, nothing player

Jeremiah George - Who?

Brandon Dixon - WHO?

Quincy Enunwa - may actually be a player

IK - lol

Tajh Boyd - joke

Trevor Reilly - trying to stick with the team somehow, gutty kid with little talent

Great write-up 7.

jets-patriots-3.jpg

Our old friend Jason Taylor singing praises for our Head Coach..

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/09/09/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-jason-taylor/

"If Todd’s the head coach, I want to play for Todd. That’s the kind of guy he is. I would run through a brick wall for him. Schematically.. forget about it. There’s nobody out there that can touch him. He’s honest, very honest.. and he’ll tell the players exactly where they are and what they need to do. He’ll have a very focused, disciplined team that won’t have a ton of mental errors or penalties. He won’t put up with that. Don’t mistake the meekness for weakness, put it that way. He is very chill and laid back it seems, but he is on top of everything. The guy is freaking perfect."  --Jason Taylor

jets-patriots-3.jpg

Our old friend Jason Taylor singing praises for our Head Coach..

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/09/09/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-jason-taylor/

"If Todd’s the head coach, I want to play for Todd. That’s the kind of guy he is. I would run through a brick wall for him. Schematically.. forget about it. There’s nobody out there that can touch him. He’s honest, very honest.. and he’ll tell the players exactly where they are and what they need to do. He’ll have a very focused, disciplined team that won’t have a ton of mental errors or penalties. He won’t put up with that. Don’t mistake the meekness for weakness, put it that way. He is very chill and laid back it seems, but he is on top of everything. The guy is freaking perfect." --Jason Taylor

Yeah JT played under Bowles when he was the Fins' DC and the interim head coach in 2011 after Sparano was canned. I figured he'd be a head coach at some point. Was just a matter of time.

While the comments are fine honestly I don't look at JT as a Jet any more than I do Ronnie Lott or Brett Favre.  He was here like half a minute and I associate him far more with one of our two big rivals.

He's not a Jet.. but he was apart of a special team. A very special team that won 13 games, and came within inches of playing in the Superbowl. Everyone on that team holds a special place with me.. whether they were Shaun Ellis or Trevor Pryce, that team collectively took NY by storm.

Yea good win overall, and I love how we beat that scummy Pettine. Not much to nit pick at really. Marshall was a difference maker and Fitzpatrick was the typical solid, sound, Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB.

The Cro injury looks very bad and I would be shocked if he didn't miss the entire season. Looked like the Revis non contact injury that felled him in Miami a few years ago. 

Mauldin too, that was a bad concussion. Glad his neck is ok, but I doubt we see him for a long long time as well.

Geno getting his jaw broken was the best thing to happen to the Jets. Fitzpatrick is the real deal

I've heard alot of people compare Decker to Chrebet. Same people that say: "I haven't seen a back like Ivory for the Jets since Martin" -or- "the Jets haven't had a wide-receiver as good as Marshall since Keyshawn" --and staying on that same similitude of the 98 team; I present you the equal of Vinny Testaverde.. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

When Testaverde came to the Jets in 1998, he was a 36 year-old guy, heading to his 4th team in a 6 year span. The Jets were laughed at by the league when they signed Vinny.. but it was the Jets who had the last laugh. Testaverde threw 29 TD's.. 7 int's.. over 3,000+ yrds.. and took the Jets to the AFC Championship after winning the Division @ 12-4.

I look at Fitzpatrick yesterday, and honestly.. what did he do that stands out? He didn't throw 3 TD's or more.. he didn't rush for critical yrds and dive for a first down. He didn't throw 300 yrds. Hell.. he didn't even throw 200 yrds! But he MANAGED THE GAME! --and that's all we've ever needed the past 3 years, with the defense we have. A guy that can manage the game.

..will the outcome of the 2015 season mirror that of 1998? --probably not. But I would be very proud to see the Jets compete for a playoff spot and win 9 games. And if Fitzpatrick plays like he did yesterday for the entire season.... --then going 8-7 the rest of the way may not be impossible after all.

Problem is Fitz has rarely been that game-manager, low-mistakes-type...he often makes costly and boneheaded mistakes (and got away with one yesterday).  He was always a turnover machine against the Pats.

That being said, this might be his last and best opportunity to be a starting QB in the NFL, and he probably knows it, and sometimes guys like that learn late (but better than never) that it's time to play within yourself and just worry about the team winning...basically, be ready to make a big play or two, but don't get in the way.  We'll see in the weeks to come if Fitz has finally figured it out. 

I've heard alot of people compare Decker to Chrebet. Same people that say: "I haven't seen a back like Ivory for the Jets since Martin" -or- "the Jets haven't had a wide-receiver as good as Marshall since Keyshawn" --and staying on that same similitude of the 98 team; I present you the equal of Vinny Testaverde.. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

When Testaverde came to the Jets in 1998, he was a 36 year-old guy, heading to his 4th team in a 6 year span. The Jets were laughed at by the league when they signed Vinny.. but it was the Jets who had the last laugh. Testaverde threw 29 TD's.. 7 int's.. over 3,000+ yrds.. and took the Jets to the AFC Championship after winning the Division @ 12-4.

I look at Fitzpatrick yesterday, and honestly.. what did he do that stands out? He didn't throw 3 TD's or more.. he didn't rush for critical yrds and dive for a first down. He didn't throw 300 yrds. Hell.. he didn't even throw 200 yrds! But he MANAGED THE GAME! --and that's all we've ever needed the past 3 years, with the defense we have. A guy that can manage the game.

..will the outcome of the 2015 season mirror that of 1998? --probably not. But I would be very proud to see the Jets compete for a playoff spot and win 9 games. And if Fitzpatrick plays like he did yesterday for the entire season.... --then going 8-7 the rest of the way may not be impossible after all.

I sort of thought of that as well, but with Fitz he wasn't really heralded coming out of college like Vinny, and doesn't have the physical tools...but what he DOES have is a great head on his shoulders, a good work ethic, and a steady approach that inspires confidence in those around him. It has been a seamless transition from Geno to Fitz. And what will help him here is true weapons on offense, Marshall and Decker will make plays on balls that David Nelson or Brad Smith or Donald Jones couldn't when Fitz was in Buffalo.

Sure he'll throw some pics and make his share of mistakes, moreso than an elite QB would, but I think the buffoonery of Geno/Sanchez is gone for good with Fitz. 

lots of guys have been late bloomers at QB. Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Warren Moon...now I wouldn't bet money he'd end up in that class BUT, I'm hoping with age comes maturity and with more weapons and a solid defense, he can be less of a gambler than he was in Buffalo.

Edited by '7'

Problem is Fitz has rarely been that game-manager, low-mistakes-type...he often makes costly and boneheaded mistakes (and got away with one yesterday).  He was always a turnover machine against the Pats.

That being said, this might be his last and best opportunity to be a starting QB in the NFL, and he probably knows it, and sometimes guys like that learn late (but better than never) that it's time to play within yourself and just worry about the team winning...basically, be ready to make a big play or two, but don't get in the way.  We'll see in the weeks to come if Fitz has finally figured it out. 

That is one of my concerns. Fitz never seemed to do well vs NE...strictly from a W/L record. Not sure how his individual stats pan out.

gettyimages-485762956.jpg?quality=65&str

JETS WIN! 31-10

Great way to start this new era off. But remember.. we started 1-0 the past 4 seasons, and each one ended in disaster. Ironically enough, the last time we lost the opener was 2010. We went 11-5 for the season! :P

But a win is a win.. and at least we didn't squeak by the Browns.. we stomped them out of Jersey. The Cromartie injury could be severe.. but this is a position where we have a great amount of depth. Truth-be-told, I thought Marcus Williams beat out Cro in the preseason anyway. Then you have Revis & Skrine.. and McDougle & Milliner both coming back aswell. The Jets will sign Stevie Brown either today or tomorrow, and we'll be fine.

The d-line looked great.. obviously. Harris had a sack.. Mo had a great sack, and could've had a 2nd.. but I thought the o-line really stole the show on this one. Fitzpatrick had all-day.. Ivory with 100 yrds - 2TD's.. and then Powell with over 5 yrds per carry to boot.

Other Observations..

• Fitzpatrick: 62% completion percentage. Played smart, smart SMART football. Managed the game perfectly.
  • Kerley: Did he even play yesterday? I don't get why Chan won't let J-Kerl loose. Not that we needed him, but.. what gives?
  • Pryor: Other than one bad play, I thought he looked fantastic. Playing with Gilchrist & Revis will help his development.
  • Owusu: This kid came out of nowhere. 4 crucial catches all for first downs. I love what I see.
  • Marshall: WOW.. just wow.
  • Reilly: This kid looked good in camp\preseason, and is continuing the trend. Great sack for a fumble.
  • Mauldin: From everything I'm reading, the kid's going to be okay Thank God.

Looking ahead: Jets play a pissed-off Colts team, in Indy, on MNF. I'd be very surprised if we turn a win out next week.. but who knows. Perhaps the Colts are a bit overrated this season. If the Jets play their game, they should have a fighting chance.

Edited by Beezer34

Yeah I'm not a believer yet after one game against a bad team. Especially since his own OC (Gailey) who knows Fitz the best STILL wanted to start Geno.

Gailey liked him and wanted to bring him in. But this year I think the philosophy was give Geno one more chance (because he DOES have the physical tools) but if he falls flat on his face pull the plug, pull it quickly, and just close the book on Geno for good. The drafting of Petty also hinted that they sort of/kind of knew Geno was not going to be the future...and that he was on his last chance.