2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Gailey liked him and wanted to bring him in. But this year I think the philosophy was give Geno one more chance (because he DOES have the physical tools) but if he falls flat on his face pull the plug, pull it quickly, and just close the book on Geno for good. The drafting of Petty also hinted that they sort of/kind of knew Geno was not going to be the future...and that he was on his last chance.

As a backup sure but when Bowles was still giving lip service to a QB competition Gailey said emphatically Geno was the guy.

That is one of my concerns. Fitz never seemed to do well vs NE...strictly from a W/L record. Not sure how his individual stats pan out.

He's played 7 games against the Pats and he's 1-6 against them with 13 TD and 17 INT (for perspective, he hasn't thrown more than 8 INT against anyone else).  What's ironic is that he's had his moments (as evidenced by the TD passes and average of almost 300 passing years per game), even in the games he went on to lose.  I remember him getting off to good starts in a couple of them...and some of his numbers against the Pats aren't bad at all...but he always seemed to make key mistakes against them, and often at the worst possible times. 

Cro's got a sprained knee. 3-6 week recovery. No torn MCL or ACL. No ligament damage. Good News!!!

phew. I mean that was TEXTBOOK torn acl behavior. We dodged a bullet there. He'll be back.

Still he did not look good before the injury, I bet it was balky beforehand and then he just made it worse

I hope the Jets don't pay for their erratic and mostly conservative playcalling at the end of the first half.  Settling for a 48-yard FG?  Ehhh...and going with two straight runs on the previous red zone trip when they've been stopping the run all day and not stopping the >20 yard passes.

Just please Ryan no more jump balls into double coverage :P

Wow, can't say enough about the Jets right now.  The D was a monster for most of the game, got one break on the Gore fumble but other than that shut down the high-powered Colts on their track.  The offense got too conservative at times but when they needed to put the gas on at 10-7 they shut the door in spectacular fashion.

Only downer is Decker being hurt, but hopefully that isn't serious.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Jets have had very few of these solid sound, no BS, unspectacular taking care of business type wins in the past few years...but this was one of them. Monday Night Football, home opener for an NFL darling, and the Jets just went in there and took all the air out of the Colts sails

Fitzpatrick had a pretty good game. But with what we've seen in recent years "pretty good" looked all world. Won't fault him too much on the INT either. It was an ill advised throw but still a great play by the safety that's probably out of bounds 90% of the time

Ivory didn't do much, Colts keyed on him

Decker unstoppable all day. Marshall was doubled most of the time but when he wasn't, Fitz found him

Revis was a real difference maker

Good pressure on Luck

Run defense wasn't too good early on but picked it up late

I love this secondary, ballhawks all around, stick to the receivers like glue and know how to tackle

Not sure which team this win says more about - the Jets or the Colts - but this is a big win for the Jets, nonetheless, and it was impressive on many fronts.  I know Luck isn't surrounded by the best talent, but he's a little overrated.

The big question is can Fitzpatrick turn in a career year (similar to what Testaverde did), where he keeps the mistakes and turnovers to a minimum?  Can he not be a turnover machine against the Pats?  If the answers to those two questions are "yes", then the Jets might be able to do what no one else in the East has been able to do in years:  turn a "check these guys out" start into a impressive full season. 

They could get off to a 4-1 start pretty easily...can't see the Eagles or Redskins beating them, and even if the Jets falter in one of those games, the Dolphins are beatable.  Hard to see the Jets losing two of three heading into their game with the Pats. 

Eagles are the ultimate SOJ bring me down game. First off we've never beaten the Eagles...ever...in the regular season. They're a talented franchise with their backs against the wall, they know they have to muster up something so their season doesn't spiral out of control. It's going to be a desperate team coming into Metlife on Sunday and the Jets better be ready.

Eagles are the ultimate SOJ bring me down game. First off we've never beaten the Eagles...ever...in the regular season. They're a talented franchise with their backs against the wall, they know they have to muster up something so their season doesn't spiral out of control. It's going to be a desperate team coming into Metlife on Sunday and the Jets better be ready.

I think it greatly helps the Jets' cause that they get this game in their own building...I'm also not a big believer in Sam Bradford.  Everything is in place for a 4-1 or - GASP! - a 5-0 start.   

jets-deckermarshallbrick.jpg?w=1000&h=66

JETS WIN! 20-7

Wild ride. One hell of a MNF win, against a pissed off Indy team, in Indy. The offense looks solid, but the defense looks other-worldly. We already have half of the turnovers in 2 games that we had all season last year. I would've liked to see Chan not've taken his foot off the gas to end the 1st half.. but whatever. You live, you learn. A win is a win.. and the Jets did just that.

Other Observations..

• The Defense: 10 takeaway's over the last 2 games. Todd Bowles, Pepper Johnson, and Kacy Rodgers deserve alot of credit.
  • Pryor: 1 forced fumble last week.. 1 interception this week. The most improved player on the Jets this season.
  • Decker: Perfect route-running.. 100 yards, and a timely touchdown. He played excellent.
  • Marshall: Perfect route-running.. 100 yards, and a timely touchdown. He played excellent.
  • Revis: 1 interception, 3 fumble recoveries over the last 2 weeks. Welcome home my friend, wish you never left.
  • Bowles: 4-1 as a Head Coach. If he beats Chip next week, he'll be 5-1.. and begin getting some recognition around the league. 
  • Ivory & Powell: Took a while to get the running game going, but they combined for 100 yrds, and moved the chains when it mattered most

The Jets could get off to a 4-1 start pretty easily. Can't see the Eagles or Redskins beating them.

I just want to win next week before I worry about if the Washington Team is for real. A win on Sunday would improve the Jets to 3-0, and really.. how many 3-0 teams miss the playoffs? It would greatly improve our odds of making the postseason. Sh!t, if we went 7-6 the rest of the way, that would give us 10 wins and a fighting chance.

And I have no clue what happened to Decker, but he has an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Hopefully nothing, but if it's something then we need Kerley to step up

Decker is fine. No surgery required. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/eric-decker-was-told-he-wouldnt-need-surgery-for-pcl-injury/

You touched on something with this post. "Kerley can step up" --that's the one takeaway with the Jets that's most uplifting.. the massive depth of this team. Kerley hasn't touched the ball yet. Cumberland hasn't touched the ball yet. Zac Stacy, who's capable of 1,000 yrd season like he had in 2013.. he hasn't touched the ball yet! McDougle's coming back. Milliner is coming back. Sheldon Richardson, Steven Ridley, etc. This very well may be the deepest Jets team since 2010. Let's cross our fingers that we have a season as successful this year.

Edited by Beezer34

Beez that's an excellent point we still have a lot of guys in mothballs that I'm hoping can succeed when they get their chance. I mean we KNOW Sheldon will succeed but I'm curious to see how Gailey ends up using the tight end as the season progresses (he hasn't yet) Stacy is a guy who can give Ivory a breather (and he'll need it with how aggressively he runs)

5-0 is a bit generous. if there 4-2 after 6 jets fans should consider that a huge success

The next three opponents are beatable for them...5-0 is possible (which is all I was getting at), though I wouldn't say probable.  If they go 4-1, they still did a fine job to start their season.  They go into NE after that...5 out of the last 6 NE-Jets games have been decided by 3 points or less (NE has won 7 out of 8).  I would say it'd be enough for the Jets to give the Pats a competitive game, but they've been there done that several times...at some point, they have to win more of those games. 

Jets looked pretty tough.  Barring injury, I think they'll crush the Dolphins in both games.  What that pass rush is going to do against a terrible o-line and a QB that couldn't sense pressure even if he was told explicitly where it was coming from before the play started is really frightening.   

Fitzpatrick... eh, not sure though.  I guess he's good enough to take a team that has everything else going for it pretty far, but we've kind of seen this movie before where he got off to a nice start in Buffalo, got a nice contract, and began to suck soon after. 

Would all say I'm correct that this is basically the end of Geno Smith with the Jets? 

Edited by Daniel

Jets looked pretty tough.  Barring injury, I think they'll crush the Dolphins in both games.  What that pass rush is going to do against a terrible o-line and a QB that couldn't sense pressure even if he was told explicitly where it was coming from before the play started is really frightening.   

Fitzpatrick... eh, not sure though.  I guess he's good enough to take a team that has everything else going for it pretty far, but we've kind of seen this movie before where he got off to a nice start in Buffalo, got a nice contract, and began to suck soon after. 

Would all say I'm correct that this is basically the end of Geno Smith with the Jets? 

Fitz has to prove he can get through a season without falling apart.  So that makes Geno relevant for now.  Fitz's first real "is he still the same ol' Fitzpatrick?" test comes against NE.  That team has really made his life miserable at times...he's been a turnover machine against them.  He's also not been good in 4th quarters and at the end of games for his career:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00/splits/

Said it before, but the good news for the Jets is that this is probably going to be Fitz's last opportunity to seize a starting QB job and make it his own...if he crumbles again, he's a backup for the rest of his NFL life unless the guy ahead of him gets hurt or really plays poorly.  And he has to know it...so he's probably on his best behavior now on the field more than ever.

Fitz has to prove he can get through a season without falling apart.  So that makes Geno relevant for now.  Fitz's first real "is he still the same ol' Fitzpatrick?" test comes against NE.  That team has really made his life miserable at times...he's been a turnover machine against them.  He's also not been good in 4th quarters and at the end of games for his career:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00/splits/

Said it before, but the good news for the Jets is that this is probably going to be Fitz's last opportunity to seize a starting QB job and make it his own...if he crumbles again, he's a backup for the rest of his NFL life unless the guy ahead of him gets hurt or really plays poorly.  And he has to know it...so he's probably on his best behavior now on the field more than ever.

I would think that if Fitzpatrick isn't the reason the Jets end up losing games, he'll keep the job.  Don't think Geno has enough upside, and has shown to be quite prone to mistakes himself, for the Jets to take that gamble when it seems the team can compete with a game manager. 

Fitz made a couple of WTF throws last night including a couple of deep balls to Marshall, one which was picked off.  However, I think he's really good throwing it between 10-20 yards. Some of those throws to Decker in the first half were darts. The recipe of giving Ivory/Powell 25-30 touches is working and especially Ivory has been grinding down defenses. Also what more can be said about how good Marshall has been? He's been a legit top WR and has faced some pretty tough CBs in Vontae Davis and Joe Haden. He should abuse the Eagles next week.

The defense has been nuts. If the Eagles O-line couldnt handle the Falcons and Cowboys, how are they going to do anything vs. the Jets? I dont want to jinx anything but I'd be shocked if they lose next week.

It'll be another couple weeks till after the London trip and the bye before Geno can come back anyway.  If the Jets are 3-1 or 4-0 I don't see them making a change but if Fitz starts throwing those deep into double-coverage lollipops more frequently and they lose the next two then they might pull the plug, maybe not right away but eventually.   I do think to a degree they blame Geno for what happened given the total lack of support he got in the wake of the incident, and it almost immediately went from 'Geno's the starter' to 'Geno's not a sure thing to get his job back'.

Although Fitz did the job last night, it also scared me a bit that he REALLY cannot complete a pass more than 15 yards down the field.  For all the talk about Chad not having a gun at least Chad would get the passes there and not throw into double coverage.  Any time we called a deep pass Fitz just threw jump balls to a double-covered Marshall...and that was against a bad secondary.

Well now the short answer is they basically confirmed Geno's on the **** list:

When Geno Smith is healthy ... "Ryan will get all the first-team reps," Bowles said. #nyj

Edited by NJDevs4978