GDT 10/7/14: THE NJ DEVILS @ Philadelphia 7PM

Onddeck

Where did you find this info?

hockeystats.ca (amongst others) have the info.

I think it's...curious that the least minutes one of the rookies (Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill*, Severson) has gotten in his first game is around 16 minutes. PDB really doing baptism by fire with them.

*obviously discounting Merrill's first real game when he faceplanted into the boards.

I didn't get to see this one (in Key West), but I checked the score throughout. Just glad they won, and very glad that Ryder and Cammalleri scored (especially Cam...always nice for a free agent to come in and contribute right off the bat).

I'm sure it wasn't pretty, based off what I've seen and read, but it's a win, and considering the start they got off to last season. I'll happily take it.

I didn't realize the Devils were playing in Florida tomorrow...pretty sure I'm going to go to the game...unexpected bonus.

Other than the obvious points already mentioned, a few notes:

-really liked cammalleri, he seems to fit like a glove with zajac and jägr.

-Cory should just stay in his crease at all times. Every time he tries to play the puck, he makes the worst decision possible.

-we need to start winning face offs... It will kill us in the long run, especially on special teams.

- defense is still a work in progress, especially Merrill/gelinas, they flat out sucked during that 2nd period stretch. As a result Pete is going to use the sal/zid pairing in big defensive situations, including PK (don't like zid on the PK at all) but overall I thought they played good enough at ES minus the lecalvelier goal. Severson with a solid 28 minutes is impressive.

Also just wanted to say the Elias goal was a thing of beauty, that Czech connection is looking good so far.

I was at the game, and didn't have the benefit of replays so I'll have to take everyone's word for it on the individual performances. That said, I thought Schneider was great. Flyers fans for the most part were fine, but it might be because I'm a pretty agreeable type if you meet me in person. Were actually a decent number of empty seats, but not enough where you wouldn't call it less than a sell out officially. A few audible lets go Devils chants even before the first goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What section were you in? I was in 115 with several Devils fans and we started a few

Lots of people were down on Zubrus being with Patty and Marty but damn did he have a good game. Hope it continues.

i was one of these people, i just think if they put someone on that line that had a little more speed and maybe skill that it could be even more lethal. Although zubes had a good game with them and didnt look bad tonight lets hope he continues on that pace.

Lots of people were down on Zubrus being with Patty and Marty but damn did he have a good game. Hope it continues.

I  thought Zubrus's game was finished last season but when Elias requested Zubrus and stated the reason why then I must support Patty, as I am a Elias fan. I thought Zubrus proved the doubter wrong.

Nice goal by Zubrus

In the whole building, between 100 and 150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a pretty small turnout considering how close philly is to the devils fanbase and how relatively cheap tickets were on the secondary market.

i wanted to go but my friend chickened out because he thinks philly fans will murder you.   

Edited by pattyelias

I rewatched the game and good lord...Salvador was a joke. Still dont understand what he was thinking on tbe Flyers fourth goal.

Seemed like he knew he had no chance of getting back and took out the 3rd guy so as to not let it be a 3 on 1.  He may not have been wrong.  Some forward on that line made a bad read which didn't help him out - it was probably Clowe.

Was on the road for the entire game, but was pretty fun following along on twitter. Watched the highlights and, they got some nice bounces that they probably don't get most of last year.

That Havlat/Zidlicky/Elias goal was as nice a goal as I can remember from the Devils. Sounded like they had a great game.

Everyone is already giving Salvador flack, and probably rightfully so. I wonder if there is a level of play bad enough that he'd be scratched? I'm not so sure there is. This is a coach after all that had Brodeur as the starter for a good portion of the season even with a top 5 goalie in the NHL right in his hand.

The Brodeur situation was a lot different and we know what went on there - 'seeing' goaltending is not easy, and clearly DeBoer had a lot of pressure on him to play Brodeur more.  I think yes Salvador could be scratched but it will take much longer than Game 1 to find that out.

Was on the road for the entire game, but was pretty fun following along on twitter. Watched the highlights and, they got some nice bounces that they probably don't get most of last year.

That Havlat/Zidlicky/Elias goal was as nice a goal as I can remember from the Devils. Sounded like they had a great game.

Everyone is already giving Salvador flack, and probably rightfully so. I wonder if there is a level of play bad enough that he'd be scratched? I'm not so sure there is. This is a coach after all that had Brodeur as the starter for a good portion of the season even with a top 5 goalie in the NHL right in his hand.

First we'll see if he replaces Tootoo and Gio with Brunner and Josefson. Apparently, the former, even with limited ice time got destroyed in he fancy stat department.

It's a different situation with Salvador, and we all know it. Beyond being captain, if he's not in the lineup, five of your defensemen are 23 or younger. Very few coaches are going to do that unless they absolutely have to.

If anything though, it's just another indication why I would have much rather have Anton than Sal. First, Anton is better. Second, you're not forced to play him, like you are Sal. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First we'll see if he replaces Tootoo and Gio with Brunner and Josefson. Apparently, the former, even with limited ice time got destroyed in he fancy stat department.

It's a different situation with Salvador, and we all know it. Beyond being captain, if he's not in the lineup, five of your defensemen are 23 or younger. Very few coaches are going to do that unless they absolutely have to.

If anything though, it's just another indication why I would have much rather have Anton than Sal. First, Anton is better. Second, you're not forced to play him, like you are Sal. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get that Salvador looks like a pylon at times but it's getting to the point where people are trying to find ways to knock him. His numbers at ES last night were fine, especially considering his team low 38% zone starts.

Salvador will have plenty of games where he stinks and the criticism is justified, but he was actually decent last night (and we won) and people are already killing him.