So are we going to ask for compensation for DeBoer?

roomtemp

Or is this like Ray Shero where we just want the contract off the books? Also this new way of compensation of coaches is incredibly stupid. It was clearly a way to kowtow to Detroit who knew they were going to lose their coach. The league has bent over backwards lately for Detroit.

Or is this like Ray Shero where we just want the contract off the books? Also this new way of compensation of coaches is incredibly stupid. It was clearly a way to kowtow to Detroit who knew they were going to lose their coach. The league has bent over backwards lately for Detroit.

They declined compensation.

really doesn't make sense.. why would you give a team the option to receive compensation? isn't the answer always going to be, "yes, we would like to accept a pick."

.. and that brings me to this situation... why would we not want to receive compensation?  The answer, "the GM was just happy to get the contract off the books" is not good enough.  If we receive compensation does that mean we still pay Debo?  I guess if a team just says ok fine then, we aren't hiring the coach, then we're left with the contract but we haven't seen something like that happen yet

It looks like Pitt is getting a 3rd for Bylsma...

yea, thats actually a pretty significant compensation

because even if the coach is fired, he is still under contract. deboer was the devils' property until the end of next year.

they would have been perfectly fine demanding compensation and if the other team didn't want to give it, then the devils would continue to pay deboer not to coach. they would've also quite possibly become a lesser destination for a coach knowing that it's something the devils would do.

in the case of bylsma, the pens didn't care about continuing to pay him and felt that it was enough of an asset going to a competitor to ask for something back.

because even if the coach is fired, he is still under contract. deboer was the devils' property until the end of next year.

they would have been perfectly fine demanding compensation and if the other team didn't want to give it, then the devils would continue to pay deboer not to coach. they would've also quite possibly become a lesser destination for a coach knowing that it's something the devils would do.

in the case of bylsma, the pens didn't care about continuing to pay him and felt that it was enough of an asset going to a competitor to ask for something back.

ah this clears it up pretty well..i was wondering how it all worked myself. thanks

As Rutherford says in the article, the rule is wrong on many levels. It should apply only to employees under contract that haven't been fired or demoted. To think that the Pens could have prevented Bylsma from taking the Buffalo HC job if they didn't agree with the compensation, over a year after they fired him, is just plain stupid.

I'm not surprised at all that the Devils didn't ask for compensation for PDB. It's the classy and right thing to do. That has Lou written all over it (it might be something Shero would do as well, I just don't enough about him to make that call).

I would take Scott Stevens or Adam Oates as compensation.

Oh right...

But yeah I don't get compensation for fired coaches either. Teams have the right to tell an opposing team they can't speak to a fired coach... that should be the end of it.

Edited by devils102

It's a stupid rule and since we didn't give up anything for Shero, I think the Devils are right in not seeking compensation for PDB

I dunno. It's a dumb rule, but.. We need draft picks [emoji38]

Edited by Devilsfan118