My little chat with Kevin Smith about Lou and George Lucas

SterioDesign

Oh what the heck -- I'll say -- we have no equivalent to chiac vs Quebecoin in US english.  I have ZERO problem distinguishing UK English from US despite a bloody hell.  I have no problem with most US dialects that don't have another language mixed in. What they speak in those few blocks of Baltimore - I have NO idea what that is though. 

But seriously - I think the difference is probably more like UK vs Scottish  I might have trouble figuring out what givn me wee peerie bairn a kess on her foozy heed means. One can guess... but one must also say "uhhh...whuuut?"  or here -- this is a more official cut and paste translation:  Yon jacket’ll never geng near dee - That jacket will be much too small for you.   we have nothing even remotely that out there different in the US -- unless it's a foray into a different language like Amish or Spanglish.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I laughed out loud when he realized what you were asking.

I was expecting more discussion about how Lucas ruined star wars and lou ruined the devils instead of him making it about him.

Well it was not really about how Lucas and Lamoriello ruined their franchises but more about how similar both situations were from top to bottom.

It just seems like both replacements (Shero and JJ Abrams) are just making all the right moves and saying all the right things and it feels so damn fresh and reassuring. While if Lou and Lucas would have still be in charge... you'd always be scared that they'd do the same mistakes over and over and over.

My buddy saw the video and asked me who would be the "Jar-Jar" equivalent for Lou... good question but i still havent figured that one out haha thoughts? 

Well it was not really about how Lucas and Lamoriello ruined their franchises but more about how similar both situations were from top to bottom.

It just seems like both replacements (Shero and JJ Abrams) are just making all the right moves and saying all the right things and it feels so damn fresh and reassuring. While if Lou and Lucas would have still be in charge... you'd always be scared that they'd do the same mistakes over and over and over.

My buddy saw the video and asked me who would be the "Jar-Jar" equivalent for Lou... good question but i still havent figured that one out haha thoughts? 

From what I see from people online probably Salvador.

Fun off season thread.  :)

See now -- Lucas and Lou differ in pretty significant ways.

Lou was clinging to what he thought was his winning formula - so much so that he actually got further and further away from it.  He did not understand the successful portions of the road he took to the top - so he recreated the bad and adapted to the bad (hired same old style player and adapted to the new by over-paying and handing out no-trade clauses willynilly).  Lucas's error was trying to be fresh and new and do what he wanted, assuming he just had the magic eye.  He kept very little of the good he had captured - and added in a lot of new garbage that came off like a money grab rather than the great story telling.   Abrams has had an objective view from a creative distance and can see the winning formula in the old familiar. 

I honestly don't see Shero as having a really clear fresh productive view on things.  He's taking a stab at it,  and his crew is doing a LOT of posturing - and it's not really coming off genuine.  He's really not convinced he's seeing the right road -- that's a real problem. He's not (quite) being defensive and that's a step in the right direction... but he's not a single bit sure of what the hell he's doing.  And despite everyone slapping him on the back saying "Hey ANY change is good at this point"  he knows he needs immediate FRESHNESS.  And I dont think he knows who can bring that.  He's bringing in nothing crisp, fresh and clean as of yet. I'll cut them some slack in that he and his crew can't be genuinely confident until they see a positive result. 

But the whole thing is screaming of the AHL to me.  Lou screamed of collegiate and it worked --- AHL?  I'm not so convinced that's as transferable because it's not fresh to the NHL.  Collegiate vs NHL is a very fresh take and can turn the NHL on it's head for a time.  AHL --- it's NHL in training.... you read about the tactics and you think "YEAH!  that's what this team needs."  But is it?  Is it really?  Does the NHL need a shot of AHL in it's arm?  I'm thinking  not so much.  :noclue: I'm thinking an AHL team mindset is very solvable - very readable. 

Change management is NOT an easy thing - because change management is more often than not just different grass, not greener.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Oh what the heck -- I'll say -- we have no equivalent to chiac vs Quebecoin in US english. I have ZERO problem distinguishing UK English from US despite a bloody hell. I have no problem with most US dialects that don't have another language mixed in. What they speak in those few blocks of Baltimore - I have NO idea what that is though.

But seriously - I think the difference is probably more like UK vs Scottish I might have trouble figuring out what givn me wee peerie bairn a kess on her foozy heed means. One can guess... but one must also say "uhhh...whuuut?" or here -- this is a more official cut and paste translation: Yon jacket’ll never geng near dee - That jacket will be much too small for you. we have nothing even remotely that out there different in the US -- unless it's a foray into a different language like Amish or Spanglish.

Firstly, Amish isn't a language. Many Amish communities speak a variety of German called Pennsylvania Dutch, among other things. Secondly, we absolutely have dialects in the US that are that different. There are isolated areas of the deep South that speak what is 100% English that most people would have a difficult time understanding. Many dialects in the Louisiana bayou that aren't mixed with any French or French creole are almost impossible to understand if you aren't from there. There are a few islands off the Atlantic coast that speak something that sounds more similar to British English that I can't understand without subtitles. And one can argue that forms of Scottish are a distinct language, even forgetting that standard Scottish English itself has incredible Gaelic influence. Edited by thecoffeecake

Scott Gomez:  Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader...he even came back from the Dark Side...

Also our shootouts results in the last few years looks like Stormtroopers were taking the shots too lol 

They did win four out of their last six shootouts...Return of the Jedi?

What is the standard then??? Lmao!  Spaceship Troopers? Don't tell me you're a trekkie.

ah well if you meant it was so good that anything following wasnt on par... then fine lol 

when you said "ruined" i took it like....Twilight ruined vampires lol 

Edited by SterioDesign

ah well if you meant it was so good that anything following wasnt on par... then fine lol 

haha yup

starship troopers and star trek make my point

aliens was the only one i could come up with

edit:really nobody even attempted to compete for a good ten years after and before there was lots of good sci fi...including star trek

now a days if someone has a good concept ten others try to piggy back its success 

my point is if you like that genre it was either star wars or nothing

Edited by lazer

haha yup

starship troopers and star trek make my point

aliens was the only one i could come up with

edit:really nobody even attempted to compete for a good ten years after and before there was lots of good sci fi...including star trek

now a days if someone has a good concept ten others try to piggy back its success 

my point is if you like that genre it was either star wars or nothing

Guardians of the Galaxy did pretty good lol but i get what you're saying. Not sure we can fit that one in there but to me Total Recall would fit in that genre too and it was amazing.

The alien series was great cause they were all different the first one is more a suspense / horror movie and the 2nd one (my personal fav) was more action. 

I guess Star Trek was good but growing up a Star Wars fan i always thought i wasn't allowed to like Star Trek so i never watched it. Watched the new movies when J.J. Abrams did it cause i wanted to see how he could handle star wars but thats about it.

also since were talking star wars... kevin smith and all that sh!t. This video is amazing. I watched it soooooo many times, the people in it really capture exactly how i feel and it's amazing. A feel good video for sure.

Edit: Not really sure why they got 2 guys from Fall Out Boy... but anyway...

Edited by SterioDesign

I'm late to this party - and also essentially a ghost on the site now - but thanks for posting this, SD. Combining the Devils and Star Wars is fantastic (two topics I really cherish) and the comparison to Lou and George Lucas is spot-on, in some ways. Big ups to Kevin Smith for his response, too.

Also made me think of this section of "High Fidelity" -- "Is it in fact fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins? Is it better to burn out than to fade away?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECyX8A3iP0

I'm late to this party - and also essentially a ghost on the site now - but thanks for posting this, SD. Combining the Devils and Star Wars is fantastic (two topics I really cherish) and the comparison to Lou and George Lucas is spot-on, in some ways. Big ups to Kevin Smith for his response, too.

Also made me think of this section of "High Fidelity" -- "Is it in fact fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins? Is it better to burn out than to fade away?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECyX8A3iP0

Ha! i love that movie haha