GDT: Devils vs Jagr (7PM, MSG+, WFAN 660 & 101.9 FM)

RunninWithTheDevil

This is getting concerning.  This is gonna sound weird, but I don't think the game was as lopsided as the score.  Regardless, this is becoming more and more concerning.  We just don't match up well against the Panthers.  It shows.  I expect the same when we play the Isles, the Bruins, the Jets, and the Kings.  Teams like these are the only ones that show they're truly superior to the Devils.

Shots: 26-16 Panthers

Corsi: 33-26 Panthers

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

This is getting concerning.  This is gonna sound weird, but I don't think the game was as lopsided as the score.  Regardless, this is becoming more and more concerning.  We just don't match up well against the Panthers.  It shows.  I expect the same when we play the Isles, the Bruins, the Jets, and the Kings.  Teams like these are the only ones that show they're truly superior to the Devils.

Shots: 26-16 Panthers

Corsi: 33-26 Panthers

This was as lopsided as they come. They were constantly in our end for long stretches at 5-on-5 where we couldn't clear it. We never had prolonged possession in their end and Montoya was barely tested. It was bad. I took off work for this and I regretted every second of it. That was one of the worst efforts I've seen in quite awhile. I was half hoping Cory was gonna just put one in his own net, skate off the ice, and flip everyone off. Not that he played great, but my God, not one skater even showed up.

A few things:

As much as games like this suck (especially when you make the trek to see the game in person and shell out money for tickets), just about every team in every sport has them.  But for the most part, this team has shown up and does play hard and doesn't quit...that's one of the more positive attributes of this team that has been noted by many.  The occasional clunker really shouldn't be blown out of proportion. 

If someone had told us that the Devils would be 16-12-4 at this point in the season, and actually in playoff position (even if they don't ultimately get there), I think we would've all signed up for it in a heartbeat (unless you wanted a tank season...I'm not a big fan of those myself, even with the potential for it to pay off). 

There's some obvious positives:

1) Kyle Palmieri (still early but it looks like he's found a home here...just 6 points off his career-high already.  Get the feeling he'll get a reasonable contract after this season that could ultimately be very cost-effective.)

2) Lee Stempniak (win-win so far...if the Devils are in serious playoff contention, they can keep him, and if they aren't, they can move him for a pick.  Either way, he's been a nice bargain at $850,000 on a one-year deal.)

3) Adam Henrique (shooting% figures to drop, but his shot rate per game is up a bit over his career rate...maybe that continues.  And he's a 15% career shooter, so his finding a way to get more shots on goal can only be a good thing.  If he can become a consistent 25+ goal scorer who sometimes flirts with 30, I'll take it.) 

4) Cory Schneider (some will nitpick his game, but the fact is that the guy stops pucks and does it very well.  .924 save% so far this season, and he's already had one of his terrific streaks...from 10/29 to 11/28, he put up a .937 save%, and from 10/29 to 12/11 he stopped at least 92% of the shots he faced in 15 out of 17 games.)

5) Mike Cammalleri (predictably slowing up a little offensively, but hasn't missed any games and keeps getting his SOG). 

Yeah, Tri is right, basically if none of those guys are contributing, the other guys aren't going to fill in the gaps too much...players not named Palmieri, Stempniak, Henrique, and Cammalleri have combined for 30 goals, and the leader among that crowd (Zajac, with 6) has now missed eight games.  Though the Devils are competitive most nights and do fight, they're obviously flawed and very thin on depth.  Along with the rare nights where they don't show up, they're going to have nights where it looks like they're not trying simply because they can't overcome the guys above not having it. 

The only good thing about last night was we got some help in the out of town scoreboard. Isles and Rangers remain a realistic target to reach for. The East is stagnating a little bit. Habs, Rangers, Ottawa, Tampa and Pittsburgh are all batting 0.500 or worse lately, not unlike ourselves.

Edited by DJ Eco

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

The only good thing about last night was we got some help in the out of town scoreboard. Isles and Rangers remain a realistic target to reach for. The East is stagnating a little bit. Habs, Rangers, Ottawa, Tampa and Pittsburgh are all batting 0.500 or worse lately, not unlike ourselves.

This.  Starting to catch the NFC east bug