GDT: Kings @ Devils

JSR

NJ's 5v5 shooting percentage has gotta be low as hell. Not that they're shooting a ton but they are due for some luck, but obviously the PP is gonna cool off.

Great game by Kinky. He's really stepped it up his last few outings.

and how many attempts completely miss the net?

the rock maintenance crew can turn off the magnetic force field now, it worked

I almost had a heart attack at the end of this game - which is fine by me because that means the Devils are relevant once again. If anything else, this team has moxie. Obviously, there are some glaring deficiencies with this team but they are sure fun to watch again. If Cams can get back sooner than later and the kids keep playing the way they're playing, that 8th seed is more than do-able. 

p.s. Why are there so few chat threads this season compared to years past? Is it a format change or has the board migrated elsewhere?

This team is now 4-1-2 in its last 7 games, despite only scoring 13 goals, and scoring as many as three goals just once in that span.  And of course they get outshot yet again (for the 21st time in their last 24 games).  This team just doesn't defy logic...it gives it the middle finger, then plants a firm foot up logic's ass. 

Very happy for Kinkaid...he has a tough job, and has managed to be pretty good at it (if a little inconsistent).  Can't really ask more from a backup (that's clearly a backup) than what he's provided.

• Like 1

That's it, I'm all in.  This team is not at all good outside of the net and they're lucky as hell in the year that they don't need to be.  This franchise is cursed since 2012 but hey if they get the playoff berth they neither need nor want in the long-term interests of the franchise, great.  I can't root against Devils wins anymore, not that I was ever doing so particularly hard, but at this point barring a Schneider injury they just can't fall enough in the standings for it to matter materially.

• Like 1

That's it, I'm all in.  This team is not at all good outside of the net and they're lucky as hell in the year that they don't need to be.  This franchise is cursed since 2012 but hey if they get the playoff berth they neither need nor want in the long-term interests of the franchise, great.  I can't root against Devils wins anymore, not that I was ever doing so particularly hard, but at this point barring a Schneider injury they just can't fall enough in the standings for it to matter materially.

Hey if they somehow sneak in and they get a healthy Cammalleri back they have a chance, outside of Washington the East is WIDE open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey if they somehow sneak in and they get a healthy Cammalleri back they have a chance, outside of Washington the East is WIDE open.

They're the worst offense in the league and every team in the playoffs will be better than them.  They would also almost certainly face Washington in the 1st round.

You may as well enjoy it. They are likable. From the goalie to the coach to the players. How could you not like them? If I were a Devil fan, I'd be happy. They never give up. Relentless.

They're the worst offense in the league and every team in the playoffs will be better than them.  They would also almost certainly face Washington in the 1st round.

And at the same time they are the best in the league at keeping the puck out of the net. Yes the Kings had better players but in 12' they snuck into the 8th spot with the worst offense in the league and then they got hot at the right time.

Get in and you never know, and to the Devils credit they were competitive in both games against the Caps this year.

Devils have a .951 5v5 sv% since Jan 1 (19 games).

What's scary about that is that the Devils needed brick-wall goaltending just to go 10-7-2 in those 19 games. 

There really isn't one number that suggests that any of this can or should continue...the team gets outshot in just about every game, their young defensemen have all had issues (though Larsson has been solid), they can't score...even now it still feels like a matter of time before midnight strikes...and from a pure forensic viewpoint, it's like Tri said, it's not like making the playoffs to get their doors blown off by Washington is necessarily what's best for this team long-term.  But I'll never be the guy who roots for his team to lose.  And this has been nothing but fun for me. 

What makes all of this so mind-blowing is that it's not like it's a team with minimal talent that's somehow playing very well and winning games...it's a team that ISN'T playing all that well (except for the goaltending of course) yet somehow gets into the victory column more often than it has any right to. 

Keep in mind...playoff hockey is a totally different beast, anything can happen during playoff hockey.

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

Sure, and higher seeds get upset all of the time...but it's really hard to make a case for the Devils doing much if they were to get in, even if Schneider keeps it up.  And as terrific as he's been, it's really hard to keep asking a goalie to stop 95% of the shots coming his way, and to keep a team that's dead last in offense in as many games as he does. 

In a way, if Cammalleri ever comes back, he'll almost feel like a deadline acquisition at this point.  But this team will still have a hell of a time scoring goals. 

Devils 5v5 shooting percentage has been in the gutter the last few weeks but they have been getting a ton of luck on the PP. Still, looking at the schedule, they have TB 3x and that dreaded California trip. If they can manage 3-3 in those games, you never know

The biggest takeaway from this stretch is that Blandisi has a great chance at being a top 6 forward. Operating under the premise that he didnt tip that goal (I think he does get credit for it eventually), he is at ~6 P/G on a team that can't score.

Edited by SMantzas

Sound the alarms: when multiple fanbases over the course of a few weeks are calling the Devils "boring", it must mean we're doing something right, again. Keep it up boys. This year's team is making the fanbase proud as hell, it's unbelievable what they're doing right now; and without arguably their best player/leading scorer, and without Elias or Tlusty.

I know you're going to say, "Yeah, but Elias and Tlusty are whatever..." But back in August/September, we thought the Devils would A) be pretty awful, and B) THAT was assuming Elias had an okay 30-40 point season, and Tlusty could rustle up 13-20 goals. We still thought we'd be pretty bad with "okay" seasons from those two.

But here we are, those two have barely played, Cammalleri is out again for a long stretch, and yet we're in 3rd in the Metro. We could lose every game from here and out and I'd still be proud as hell of this group. I feel very good about the future, especially with the thought of Zacha and Santini coming up soon.

What's scary about that is that the Devils needed brick-wall goaltending just to go 10-7-2 in those 19 games. 

There really isn't one number that suggests that any of this can or should continue...the team gets outshot in just about every game, their young defensemen have all had issues (though Larsson has been solid), they can't score...even now it still feels like a matter of time before midnight strikes...and from a pure forensic viewpoint, it's like Tri said, it's not like making the playoffs to get their doors blown off by Washington is necessarily what's best for this team long-term.  But I'll never be the guy who roots for his team to lose.  And this has been nothing but fun for me. 

What makes all of this so mind-blowing is that it's not like it's a team with minimal talent that's somehow playing very well and winning games...it's a team that ISN'T playing all that well (except for the goaltending of course) yet somehow gets into the victory column more often than it has any right to. 

This team isn't very good outside of Cory and the four guys on forward having career years, but I still like their current odds in the playoff race. The 15/16 Devils are the Colorado, Calgary, Toronto teams of yesteryear, just with much fewer lenses and eyeballs on them so it's not a talking point. As Tri noted, it's ironic that they get all the bounces in the year they absolutely need it the least, but what ya gonna do? I'm trying to enjoy this, but it will double-suck if they keep hanging in there to miss by a point in the end. 

You've got 6 teams within a few points of the last wild card right now, and there're probably 5 spots up for grabs. IF Cammalleri returns and is competent that can mitigate the likely dropoff in goaltending (by which I mean stopping slightly less than 95%) down the stretch. 

Sound the alarms: when multiple fanbases over the course of a few weeks are calling the Devils "boring", it must mean we're doing something right, again. Keep it up boys. This year's team is making the fanbase proud as hell, it's unbelievable what they're doing right now; and without arguably their best player/leading scorer, and without Elias or Tlusty.

I know you're going to say, "Yeah, but Elias and Tlusty are whatever..." But back in August/September, we thought the Devils would A) be pretty awful, and B) THAT was assuming Elias had an okay 30-40 point season, and Tlusty could rustle up 13-20 goals. We still thought we'd be pretty bad with "okay" seasons from those two.

But here we are, those two have barely played, Cammalleri is out again for a long stretch, and yet we're in 3rd in the Metro. We could lose every game from here and out and I'd still be proud as hell of this group. I feel very good about the future, especially with the thought of Zacha and Santini coming up soon.

Hard to go that crazy about the standings where the two teams just behind them each have three games in hand.  But I do agree with the general sentiment.  Overachieving teams are fun...even ones that seem to kill offense at both ends of the ice.  I would love to see this team make the playoffs just because it'd be one hell of an achievement (even though, as has been discussed, it's likely not what's best for this team). 

The way Cory is going, he's got to be a Hart and Vezina finalist, and could also win a Jennings to boot, for a team that isn't nearly as good defensively as their GAA suggests. 

And the "boring" comment is pretty funny...because you are 100% right, that went away (or at least lessened) when the Devils were struggling...and now that they've put up a respectable record, man has that come back with a vengeance. 

Hard to go that crazy about the standings where the two teams just behind them each have three games in hand. 

100% true, BUT, two weeks ago while we were playing the Rangers at home, I was stressed out. My heart was pounding and I had butterflies in my stomach during every rush of the puck into either teams' zone.

The reason I felt like that, and why it felt so foreign, was because up until that game, I realized we hadn't played a home game that meant something since Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012; that's almost 4 years. Years of just meaningless hockey essentially, like going to concerts and watching opening acts and no headliner, or going to movies that have no plot or no ending. Feels good to watch meaningful hockey again! That feeling has essentially replaced any care I have for what the consequences are in terms of the long-term plan. Selfish, yeah, but it feels good!

Edited by DJ Eco

Agree, it's fun to feel the emotional investment coming back...and to have guys to get behind. 

100% true, BUT, two weeks ago while we were playing the Rangers at home, I was stressed out. My heart was pounding and I had butterflies in my stomach during every rush of the puck into either teams' zone.

The reason I felt like that, and why it felt so foreign, was because up until that game, I realized we hadn't played a home game that meant something since Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012; that's almost 4 years. Years of just meaningless hockey essentially, like going to concerts and watching opening acts and no headliner, or going to movies that have no plot or no ending. Feels good to watch meaningful hockey again! That feeling has essentially replaced any care I have for what the consequences are in terms of the long-term plan. Selfish, yeah, but it feels good!

The good news is that it also means that you're alive