2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

What a jackass.  

I love how he mentions that Ovechkin didn’t have to go through perennial loser Lundqvist to win his Cup, as if that devalues it somehow, but hey, who cares that he finally beat perennial winners Crosby and the Pens, right? [emoji849] What a fvcking clown.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love how he mentions that Ovechkin didn’t have to go through perennial loser Lundqvist to win his Cup, as if that devalues it somehow, but hey, who cares that he finally beat perennial winners Crosby and the Pens, right? emoji849.png What a fvcking clown.

I know.  The only way he gets attention or makes headlines is by writing stupid stories like this where he's seemingly the only one to go against the grain, with no merit whatsoever.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love how he mentions that Ovechkin didn’t have to go through perennial loser Lundqvist to win his Cup, as if that devalues it somehow, but hey, who cares that he finally beat perennial winners Crosby and the Pens, right? emoji849.png What a fvcking clown.

He beat a goalie that’s won multiple Cups. How many does “The King” have again?? MAF was also looking like a sure Conn Smythe candidate until he played the Caps. 

• Like 1

He beat a goalie that’s won multiple Cups. How many does “The King” have again?? MAF was also looking like a sure Conn Smythe candidate until he played the Caps. 

Also- if Ovechkin is still a loser with a Cup, what’s Lundqvist? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot to mention "HHOF inductee class of 2018 Larry Brooks"

Also I am not sure how any of you are extrapolating from what Brooks wrote that since Ovi didn't go through the Rangers than somehow Lundqvist > Ovi.

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Won 1 cup as a starter, 2 as a backup.

You forgot to mention "HHOF inductee class of 2018 Larry Brooks"
Also I am not sure how any of you are extrapolating from what Brooks wrote that since Ovi didn't go through the Rangers than somehow Lundqvist > Ovi.
Won 1 cup as a starter, 2 as a backup.

He carried them through the first two rounds last year. That should not be forgotten. The Pens don’t win the Cup last year without Fleury’s contributions.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

He carried them through the first two rounds last year. That should not be forgotten. The Pens don’t win the Cup last year without Fleury’s contributions.

He then bombed out and had to be rescued by Murray.

lol he won as a backup after he bombed out in the last 2 rounds.
Just like he bombed out in the finals this year.

The point is they wouldn’t have advanced without Fleury playing well in the first two rounds. He made a BIG contribution to that Cup. How is this hard to understand?

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm definitely not a big Larry Brooks fan in the slightest, and never have been.  That being said, I kinda-sorta get where he's coming from to an extent, but there's definitely flaws to the point he's trying to make (I'll explain).  He's way off-base in mentioning Lundqvist, because I don't think what Lundqvist did in 2012, 2013, or 2015 has any relevance to 2018...he is not the same goalie he was in his prime years.  The Rangers were obviously out of the playoff picture for quite some time, but Lundqvist finished this season with an .898 save% in his final 23 games, and has been a .913 goalie overall since early 12/10/2015 (he was at .924 from the start of 2009-10 season through 12/9/2015).  I don't think if Lundqvist had somehow found his way into the playoffs in 2018 and had faced the Caps, that he would've been some major obstacle for Ovi and the Caps to overcome, the way Brooks is implying.

Winning a Cup is huge for a guy like Ovi, just like winning the WS was for A-Rod, and in both cases (unlike Peyton Manning's last SB), both guys figured very heavily into their teams winning championships...neither Ovi nor A-Rod were along for the ride when their teams won.  I brought it up before, but Ovi definitely went through a series of underwhelming playoff runs in the five postseasons before this one:  60 GP, 21 G, 19 A.  Look, over small samples anything can happen, and Ovi's very un-Ovi-like 8.3 shooting% over those five postseasons points to some bad luck.  But he simply needed to produce more than he did...to his credit, he did that in a big way this season.  Like I've said, huge monkey off his back, no one can say that he didn't win no matter what now. 

The tone of the Ovi part of Brooks' article is a litte off and inconsistent, really...almost coming off like he doesn't really want to take too much away from Ovi, but yet he does.  I get being a little critical of Ovi's past, but this seems like an odd time to do it, when the guy just had a terrific playoff run that resulted in TWO prizes (the Cup and Conn Smythe).  Maybe if he had another meh-ish kind of playoff run next season, and his team gets bounced in the first or second round, a guy like Brooks can go the "previous disappointments" route then.  To do it now just sounds douchey.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The point is they wouldn’t have advanced without Fleury playing well in the first two rounds. He made a BIG contribution to that Cup. How is this hard to understand?

He only played because Murray was hurt.  He bombed out in round 3 and Murray had to come in to save the day.  When the Penguins won the cup, MAF was sitting on the bench.  How is this hard to understand?

He only played because Murray was hurt.  He bombed out in round 3 and Murray had to come in to save the day.  When the Penguins won the cup, MAF was sitting on the bench.  How is this hard to understand?

Why he was playing is irrelevant. Without Fleury playing top-notch goal in rounds one and two, the Pens are sitting on a golf course. That’s my point. This is a fact. I don’t care that he ‘bombed out’ once Murray got healthy, because it’s also fvcking irrelevant. He saved their chance at a Cup in the first two rounds. He wasn’t Corey Schwab.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Why he was playing is irrelevant. Without Fleury playing top-notch goal in rounds one and two, the Pens are sitting on a golf course. That’s my point. This is a fact. I don’t care that he ‘bombed out’ once Murray got healthy, because it’s also fvcking irrelevant. He saved their chance at a Cup in the first two rounds. He wasn’t Corey Schwab.

We don't know that.  What if a healthy Murray came in and played lights out like he did in the final 2 rounds?  We wouldn't be having this convo.

I can easily say that if MAF continued in goal in round 3 and 4 that they would also be on the golf course.  This is literally a chicken or the egg argument.

When it comes down to it, MAF was sitting watching Murray winning in the SCF.  He was also the backup for most of last season as well.  Ask any Penguins fan who was the starter for them last season and 4 out of 5 will say Murray hands down.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You keep saying he bombed out in the 3rd round last year.  My recollection was that he had one marginal game once Murray was healthy and Sullivan used that as an excuse to go back to his guy.    

• Like 1

We don't know that.  What if a healthy Murray came in and played lights out like he did in the final 2 rounds?  We wouldn't be having this convo.
I can easily say that if MAF continued in goal in round 3 and 4 that they would also be on the golf course.  This is literally a chicken or the egg argument.
When it comes down to it, MAF was sitting watching Murray winning in the SCF.  He was also the backup for most of last season as well.  Ask any Penguins fan who was the starter for them last season and 4 out of 5 will say Murray hands down.

I’m not saying Murray wasn’t the main guy- but MAF had to play at a moment’s notice (Murray injured himself in warmups before game 1 of the first round), and he didn’t sh!t the bed. He played great and gave his team a shot. That was his job, and he did it and it helped earn him and his teammates a ring. A ring he had a hand in securing, unlike most backup goalies who don’t play one minute of meaningful hockey in the playoffs. That’s the only point I’m trying to make here.

Just now, Lateralous said:

You keep saying he bombed out in the 3rd round last year.  My recollection was that he had one marginal game once Murray was healthy and Sullivan used that as an excuse to go back to his guy.    

lol what a way to spin what happened.  Murray was their starter for a vast majority of last year.  Suddenly Sullivan had to go searching for excuses to go back to him once he was healthy?

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I bet Pens fans wish they still had MAF this postseason...