Devils to wear original whites as Alternate Jerseys for 2018-19

Devils Pride 26

Alternate Jerseys  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Throwback based or black based?

• Throwback
    • Black

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Late to the party but these look great.  Very happy, can't wait to see these in action.

That was my biggest gripe about the new unis.. the lack of a lower horizontal stripe was annoying, I thought the missing yokes were the biggest eyesore.

We've been through it before, but the truncated yokes look OK on players (the equipment helps to fill them out) or on in-shape fans with solid shoulders.  Not so great on anyone else, and the "not really authentics" meh-ish kind of fit hurts even more.  The old jerseys were much more forgiving on a wider array of body types.   I will say that the actual GWs fit MUCH better than what's available in stores and at the Den, and like DM84 suggested, there really SHOULD be a limited run of TRUE authentics, as enough fans are willing to pay the premium to get them.

25 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't know where in those two sentences I wrote you were able to conclude that I was implying the status of the primary jersey was ever in question. No, in case you weren't able to discern the tone of the conversation we've been having about the jerseys, no one thought after one season with new uniforms the team was switching to green as a primary scheme. 

On the other hand, there was no way to know whether these would be a true third or have this "heritage" title. Most of us didn't know there was an official distinction. We were all under the assumption we were getting a new third jersey, not what boils down to a special event jersey to be worn a few more times a year than the red greens. There is a huge difference between bringing a jersey back into permanent rotation or wearing it as a throwback on rare occasions or special events. 

I explained where I was coming from...regardless of the distinction, or how "bringing back" is interpreted, or how often the Devils will wear them, the new jerseys still "feel" like a third jersey to me.  I think we would've been surprised if this organization (even though it's obviously not the oldern days) would have released a to-be-commonly-rotated never-seen-before third jersey...though I guess it can be argued that maybe a brand-spanking-new true third wouldn't have come as that big of a surprise, after last season's re-design, and how this ownership is in general.  I like that they went the "heritage" route myself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We've been through it before, but the truncated yokes look OK on players (the equipment helps to fill them out) or on in-shape fans with solid shoulders. 

I'm giving you 5 bonus points for use of the word "truncated". 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You either didn't pay attention or didn't read everything. There are STILL people complaining about them and saying that they will never buy one. Here and elsewhere. 

Who doesn't like Mickey Mouse and Christmas? ;)

I didn't like the jersey redesign last year, and still don't.  I won't buy one, but I've come to accept them.   They clearly look better on the players in uniform than fans.  I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but I would think a lot of people who were against the new jerseys last year are like me. 

As far as the new heritage jersey goes, I like it and think that this is the best we could have expected out of a third jersey.  I always liked the retro white jerseys better than the red, and they did a good job with these.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

They clearly look better on the players in uniform than fans.     

there is no question, they look better on the players. From what I have noticed, I see the same problem as when the Edge jerseys came out. People don't buy the appropriate size. I have seen so many guys in skin tight Edge jerseys, all i can imagine is that they ordered their old CCM size and squeezed into it, and its not complimentary of their less than impressive physiques. 

I'm not talking about guys who are in good shape who like their clothing fitted, I am talking about dudes with pot bellies that barely fit in their undersized jersey. 

And now, with the Adidas running even smaller, I notice it even more. I can't think of any other reason, but its dozens and dozens of people at every game wearing WAY undersized jerseys. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

there is no question, they look better on the players. From what I have noticed, I see the same problem as when the Edge jerseys came out. People don't buy the appropriate size. I have seen so many guys in skin tight Edge jerseys, all i can imagine is that they ordered their old CCM size and squeezed into it, and its not complimentary of their less than impressive physiques. 

I'm not talking about guys who are in good shape who like their clothing fitted, I am talking about dudes with pot bellies that barely fit in their undersized jersey. 

And now, with the Adidas running even smaller, I notice it even more. I can't think of any other reason, but its dozens and dozens of people at every game wearing WAY undersized jerseys. 

Yeah, now that you mention it, I see my fair share of "too-tight" Adidases at games.  Much more clinging in areas that hockey jerseys were never meant to cling.

The shoulder area in particular on these "authentics not authentics" is especially bad.  That area just has a way of "hanging" on a lot of builds (especially small shoulders).  I've only tried on one Adidas (my GW Elias Night Zajac), and the best way I can put it is that the real deals have more "structure" to them, if that makes any sense.  They just feel robust and more solid and defined where they should.  The fake authentics don't seem to have that at all, based on what I've seen.

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I see my fair share of "too-tight" Adidases at games.  Much more clinging in areas that hockey jerseys were never meant to cling.

The shoulder area in particular on these "authentics not authentics" is especially bad.  That area just has a way of "hanging" on a lot of builds (especially small shoulders).  I've only tried on one Adidas (my GW Elias Night Zajac), and the best way I can put it is that the real deals have more "structure" to them, if that makes any sense.  They just feel robust and more solid and defined where they should.  The fake authentics don't seem to have that at all, based on what I've seen.

I am 100% convinced it is 3 things; 1) People wearing incorrect sizing 2) The shoulders and 3) the material.

1 and 2 have already been touched on, but I think 3 plays a big part too.  The material of the retail "authentics" is more similar to the material of the old Reebok Premier replicas than any of the materials used on the ice.  It has a sort of soft pullover feel than an actual jersey feel with materials such as air-knit, etc.  Therefore it "hangs" more casually (best I can describe it) than the real materials but in a not-good way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am 100% convinced it is 3 things; 1) People wearing incorrect sizing 2) The shoulders and 3) the material.

1 and 2 have already been touched on, but I think 3 plays a big part too.  The material of the retail "authentics" is more similar to the material of the old Reebok Premier replicas than any of the materials used on the ice.  It has a sort of soft pullover feel than an actual jersey feel with materials such as air-knit, etc.  Therefore it "hangs" more casually (best I can describe it) than the real materials but in a not-good way.

Yes, "soft pullover" defines the authentic-not-authentics perfectly.  Anyone who has the genuine article can tell you that the real deal definitely does not feel nor fit that way.  Like I said in my post (and as you can already attest), the true on-ice jerseys have more structure, solidarity, and form.  Something else that you've pointed out is that the logo location on the Adidases is lower than on the Edges, which adds to the "hanging/sagging" look, also in a not-good way. 

As far as sizing, I think we'd both agree that most buyers could easily go one size up over what they wore in Edges.  My Adidas Zajac is a 56, and though it fits pretty comfortably, it's definitely more snug than an Edge 56.      

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I think within a couple of years, there's going to be a limited "Platinum" jersey kind of line, for real-deal, non-GW or GI product (basically REAL authentics).  The big question is where would the price point be set?  If it's in the $300-350 range for non-personalized product, I'd think there would be buyers willing to pay that premium. 

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes, "soft pullover" defines the authentic-not-authentics perfectly.  Anyone who has the genuine article can tell you that the real deal definitely does not feel nor fit that way.  Like I said in my post (and as you can already attest), the true on-ice jerseys have more structure, solidarity, and form.  Something else that you've pointed out is that the logo location on the Adidases is lower than on the Edges, which adds to the "hanging/sagging" look, also in a not-good way. 

As far as sizing, I think we'd both agree that most buyers could easily go one size up over what they wore in Edges.  My Adidas Zajac is a 56, and though it fits pretty comfortably, it's definitely more snug than an Edge 56.      

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I think within a couple of years, there's going to be a limited "Platinum" jersey kind of line, for real-deal, non-GW or GI product (basically REAL authentics).  The big question is where would the price point be set?  If it's in the $300-350 range for non-personalized product, I'd think there would be buyers willing to pay that premium. 

I believe the Canucks did sell a few extra blank MiC Adidas authentics to the public in very limited amounts to fans back in the December timeframe.  They were basically extras they received.  From what I recall, they sold them for about $300-500 range.  I might be wrong on that figure but that's what came to mind.

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I always buy my jerseys bigger than they should be cause in the colder months I'll wear a hoodie underneath it.... Plus if I ever decide to put on a sh!t ton of weight it will still fit lol

Back when Koho was making jerseys I got a Gionta in a large that was severely oversized. the only way it fits me is with a hoodie and even then I still feel like i'm swimming in it

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I always buy my jerseys bigger than they should be cause in the colder months I'll wear a hoodie underneath it.... Plus if I ever decide to put on a sh!t ton of weight it will still fit lol

Wish I would have done that. I have a couple Edge size 54’s that still fit but not nearly as well as my 56 that I have. Definitely can’t wear hoodies comfortably with the 54’s anymore. 

Never did the hoodie under the jersey thing (though many obviously do).  For me, it's almost always a gray short sleeve or gray long sleeve shirt. 

A bud of mine used to have to wear a shirt and tie to work every day, and most of the time when I'd meet him at the Rock for a game, he'd just throw his jersey on right over his work clothes.  For obvious reasons I used to call him "Draft Pick".

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never did the hoodie under the jersey thing (though many obviously do).  For me, it's almost always a gray short sleeve or gray long sleeve shirt. 

Me too, or black or white (usually white with a white jersey). If its way below freezing I might put on a thermal as well, but not for games. It's not cold in the arena. I could layer more underneath because I always get my jerseys a little big, I prefer them that way. 

May I also add I am tired of the word "hoodie". 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A bud of mine used to have to wear a shirt and tie to work every day, and most of the time when I'd meet him at the Rock for a game, he'd just throw his jersey on right over his work clothes.  For obvious reasons I used to call him "Draft Pick".

That's a good job by you. Bad job by him, though, gotta ditch the tie at least! If I'm heading to a game, I always bring a change of clothes to work so I can be appropriately dressed before I leave. Even when I am actually driving home first to get my daughter, because it saves time. 

I get that not everyone can do that, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

shoulder area.  On our jerseys it is the black part on the shoulders.

Ha, that's what I figured.

It's funny because (as some of you know) I loved our old unis and while I tolerated the Red/Black, my biggest complaint was the friggin' ugly ass black "yoke".

I always wanted them to leave the whole jersey either the red or the white up there.   

The little things..........

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
Typo

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What’s wrong with the word hoodie lol

you really expect people to type out hooded sweatshirt every time? Way too much work!

It's just stupid. Grown men sound stupid saying it. It's slang from like 20 years ago. 

"Sweatshirt" is fine. I don't give a fvck if you have a hood. ;) 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's just stupid. Grown men sound stupid saying it. It's slang from like 20 years ago. 

"Sweatshirt" is fine. I don't give a fvck if you have a hood. ;)

I have friends that say grown men shouldn't wear team jerseys.

"Hoodie" is just easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I've heard that too.  I tell them that's the only appropriate attire I have left for the game since my tuxedo is still at the cleaners being pressed.

Yeah, only Rangers fans and CR1976's friend wear suits to a game!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

"Hoodie" is just easy

Yep, I've heard that too.  Who the fvck is the one who came up with this "rules we should all live by" code?! 

Admittedly I don't wear jerseys out anymore, as everyday wear...there was definitely a time that I did that for sure (in the mid-90s, I had a black Starter that I wore quite a bit)...not because I have any problem with it now that I'm older...no real reason, really.  But I DO wear one of my jerseys when I'm watching a game...either at the Rock or in my basement...I don't feel right without one on.  It's part of the experience for me, and will be when I'm 50 (sadly that's less than two years away), 60, 70 and even 80.  Anyone who has an issue with this old man wearing a jersey can go screw. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

"Hoodie" is just easy

Tell your friends that’s the stupidest take I’ve ever heard. And it’s not the first time I’ve heard it either. It’s one of the stupidest possible takes a human being can have. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3