2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you want to argue we have made progress over the last 2-3 years, so that we may progress in the NEXT 7-8 years, I'll say that's probably true. But have we made progress over the LAST TEN years? Nope. 

And if you think that 2017-18 was the status quo and this year is the aberration, I am not sure what you are basing that on. If anything, looking at the last 10 shows that 2017-18 was the aberration. 

I was saying that 2017-18 was status quo when compared directly to the 2007-08 season.  In a prior post, you had stated "I’m talking about where we were 10 years ago, and where we are now. Two very different things."  I took that to mean where the Devils were at each of those points (10 years ago and right now), and not necessarily factoring what happened in between. 

There's really no need to break this all down season-by-season...I'm as hardcore as they come and I'm familiar with all of the crap seasons that that saw the Devils not make the playoffs.  And all of the horrible draft choices that happened mostly on Lou and Conte's watch.

It's the complete lack of progress over Lou's final years that's clearly had a negative influence on Shero's early years...I don't know too many GMs who would've been able to make a whole lot of immediate progress based on what he'd inherited. 

I still think lumping everything together in a 10-year period where two GMs (with two very different ways of approaching their jobs and building teams) were present is kind of flawed.  I could see pointing out the whole "no progress" idea if, say, a Mike Milbury-type had been the GM the entire time (or had been followed up by someone equally as incompetent).  But for me, it still comes back to the same thing:  the first GM of this 10-year-period clearly made some mistakes, and the one who followed him has done some good things, but was starting in a deep hole.  As far as the bolded in your quote goes, we're pretty much in agreement, and that's why I'm not really keen on the whole "10-year no progress" argument.

• Like 1

This is so sad. Maybe he'll come back to the Devils in some capacity? 

Devils Insiders Retweeted

Kyle Dubas announced today that Newfoundland Growlers head coach Ryane Clowe will be stepping down from his position due to medical reasons, effective immediately. Assistant coach John Snowden has been named the Growlers new head coach.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Kyle Dubas announced today that Newfoundland Growlers head coach Ryane Clowe will be stepping down from his position due to medical reasons, effective immediately. Assistant coach John Snowden has been named the Growlers new head coach.

Yeah that’s too bad. Concussions are a bitch. 

If Burke is going to bring up Hall being injured this season, then it's only fair to point out that Larsson (by his own admission) isn't playing well at all this year.  Not fair to not present all the info re:  BOTH players. 

Right now I'm definitely in the "Re-sign Hall" camp, but we might not be happy with the results as that contract (probably 8 years) unwinds.  He misses games, pretty much always has...does make one wonder if that's a problem that will not only continue to get worse as he ages, but starts to take away from his skills as well.  Does he become a guy who's only playing 50-60 games and putting up 35-50 points with a lot of years left?

This being said, I'll take my chances and sign him up. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Does he become a guy who's only playing 50-60 games and putting up 35-50 points with a lot of years left?

This being said, I'll take my chances and sign him up. 

You have to take that chance to sign a star player. If you don’t, another team will. You have to be willing to eat sh!t and the end in order to get the good years. And there’s no guarantee you get the good years. 

Bit if you were to outright refuse to try, then you are never going to sign free agents or retain your stars. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

You have to take that chance to sign a star player. If you don’t, another team will. You have to be willing to eat sh!t and the end in order to get the good years. And there’s no guarantee you get the good years. 

Bit if you were to outright refuse to try, then you are never going to sign free agents or retain your stars. 

I get eating sh!t at the end of a huge deal...you just wonder if the sh!t comes much sooner than that (say Year 3-4 instead of Year 6 and beyond).  But like I said, when it comes to Hall, I'm taking the plunge. 

25 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Feel for him...sounds like he'll always be battling issues due to multiple concussions. 

As much as I hated that signing at the time, Clowe has actually been relatively healthy in the previous five seasons, as far as not missing too many games...he'd played in 344 out of 378 regular season games in the previous 5 seasons combined.  He'd been pretty productive too...235 points in those games (though his offensive numbers were declining towards the end of that sample).  It still felt like a cross-your-fingers, "time bomb" kind of signing though...and quite sadly, that's exactly what it turned out to be. 

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Feel for him...sounds like he'll always be battling issues due to multiple concussions. 

As much as I hated that signing at the time, Clowe has actually been relatively healthy in the previous five seasons, as far as not missing too many games...he'd played in 344 out of 378 regular season games in the previous 5 seasons combined.  He'd been pretty productive too...235 points in those games (though his offensive numbers were declining towards the end of that sample).  It still felt like a cross-your-fingers, "time bomb" kind of signing though...and quite sadly, that's exactly what it turned out to be. 

it was terrible from the word go and everybody knew it. this wasn't like rolston who everyone (meaning NHL teams - not fans) wanted and the devils just got unlucky enough to get him. this was an overpayment and completely reactionary by Lou to losing kovalchuk and clarkson after losing parise and just no fvcking clue what to do. the concussions were a MAJOR issue for clowe already to the point that it was brought up countless times at the signing. his first NJ concussion wasn't even due to a terribly serious blow. he was clearly susceptible to them after having at least 3 that were diagnosed in an 18 month span.

i feel terrible for him and I'm glad he got his money (i can say that because it's not my money - again, i'm happy the player got it - I wish it wasn't my team that was stupid enough to give it to him). but i think if you fast forward to now (even though concussions were certainly a thing then), and he's coming off the season he had before he signed with NJ, he retires (or the league retires him).

Edited by sundstrom

Just now, sundstrom said:

it was terrible from the word go and everybody knew it. this wasn't like rolston who everyone (meaning NHL teams - not fans) wanted and the devils just got unlucky enough to get him. this was an overpayment and completely reactionary by Lou to losing kovalchuk and clarkson after losing parise and just no fvcking clue what to do. the concussions were a MAJOR issue for clowe already to the point that it was brought up countless times at the signing. his first NJ concussion wasn't even due to a terribly serious blow. he was clearly susceptible to them after having at least 3 that were diagnosed in an 18 month span.

i feel terrible for him and I'm glad he got his money (i can say that because it's not my money - again, i'm happy the player got it - I wish it wasn't my team that was stupid enough to give it to him). but i think if you fast forward to now (even though concussions were certainly a thing then), and he's coming off the season he had before he signed with NJ, he retires (or the league retires him).

I agree, I remember being VERY concerned about Clowe and the concussions when he signed (like I said, pure time-bomb kind of move), but like you said, Lou made a pure desperation move, and unfortunately Clowe playing in a large number of his team's games prior probably had Lou thinking that somehow he'd play in a lot more games as a Devil than he did.  It was a horrible bet to take. 

And yeah, at the very least, he probably should've been done after his first NJ concussion...like you mentioned, it was obvious the guy had become vulnerable to them. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get eating sh!t at the end of a huge deal...you just wonder if the sh!t comes much sooner than that (say Year 3-4 instead of Year 6 and beyond).  But like I said, when it comes to Hall, I'm taking the plunge. 

I don't disagree, but if you aren't willing to take that chance, you won't sign anyone. try convincing a guy offered 7 years at $10 million per that he should sign with you for 3 years at $11 million per instead. 

The fact of the matter is, you know you'll be eating sh!t, you just hope its later rather than sooner lol. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I don't disagree, but if you aren't willing to take that chance, you won't sign anyone. try convincing a guy offered 7 years at $10 million per that he should sign with you for 3 years at $11 million per instead. 

The fact of the matter is, you know you'll be eating sh!t, you just hope its later rather than sooner lol. 

Yeah, you're NEVER going avoid some bad contracts forever...you do have to take some risks here and there, especially if you don't have a deep farm of prospects able to approximate what you're losing.  Hall does have some red flags (the missing games due to injury in particular), but in his case, I still offer him the max years (if that's what it takes). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-who-s-interested-in-panarin-1.1249314

New TSN article on some possible deadline moves including Panarin. Kind of disappointed to not see anything about NJ in there, not that it means anything.

I'd love have him. He has no reason to want to be here. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd love have him. He has no reason to want to be here. 

I mean, we’d fit his criteria of being in a major market (he could just talk to Hall about living close enough to NYC to hock a loogie across the river).... but Panarin, like most NHL players, is probably too stupid to understand the basic concept of geography, so he’ll sign with the Rags. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, we’d fit his criteria of being in a major market (he could just talk to Hall about living close enough to NYC to hock a loogie across the river).... but Panarin, like most NHL players, is probably too stupid to understand the basic concept of geography, so he’ll sign with the Rags. 

He'd better talk to Hall quickly lol.