Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is the future captain and he’s 27. He’s a big part of the solution. The only way he’s moved is if he tells Shero he’d rather make a lateral move to some other middling sh!tbag team, because no Cup contender has nearly enough cap room for him. Since the Devils can pay him more and give him more term than any other middling sh!tbag team, he’ll re-sign. I mean, this isn’t hard to flesh out. 

There’s not one Cup competitor (or, a team that would be one if they added him) with space to add him? I find that hard to believe.

As much as I want him to be our future captain(or our current captain), let’s see. He’s not from here, we aren’t winning, he never chose to come here, when he got here he said he wouldn’t rule out going back, and he will get $9.5-$10m minimum, wherever he signs. 

As far as Parise goes, what bothers me is the one year deal before leaving. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

There’s not one Cup competitor (or, a team that would be one if they added him) with space to add him? I find that hard to believe.

As much as I want him to be our future captain(or our current captain), let’s see. He’s not from here, we aren’t winning, he never chose to come here, when he got here he said he wouldn’t rule out going back, and he will get $9.5-$10m minimum, wherever he signs. 

As far as Parise goes, what bothers me is the one year deal before leaving. 

Ok cool. I’m not a told you so guy usually, but I’m looking forward to him signing on 7/1 so we can stop wasting bandwidth on this. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly just wish we were allowed to re-sign him right now, because it would already be done, and we wouldn’t need to have this conversation. He’s not going anywhere. You can book that. 

I hope you’re right, even though you have nothing to base that on. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Ok cool. I’m not a told you so guy usually, but I’m looking forward to him signing on 7/1 so we can stop wasting bandwidth on this. 

That I’ll wager on. He will not sign on 7/1, loser donates $20 to the site?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, unfortunately Cap space really isn't an issue for over half of the league, so I would agree there will be plenty of contenders with space to add Hall. 18 of 31 teams have over 9 mil of space this year. I haven't dug deeper than that to look at possible future commitments for teams, but I imagine this will be about the norm # for the next few years with the younger (cheaper) players making the NHL at earlier ages.  The only real advantage I see is familiarity with the area and first dibs at selling the vision of the future. I am not as confident as MadDog in us re-signing Hall, but I do think Shero can lay out a pretty good story/plan of putting Hall in the captains chair and giving him the reigns of leading a group of young up and comers to contention in a Devils uniform. A Nico/Ty Smith/2019 1st is an attractive core to be the veteran leader of. I'd sign. 

28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't like Parise nor Kovy. They both earned their boos when they show back up here. 

I hope Santini finally does something useful tomorrow night and puts Kovy through the glass into the 5th row but Santini has seemed to lost the ability to lay down a good hit like he had last year so oh well. 

Greene for Helgeson? 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Why because you said so?

I’m certainly no psychic or anything, I’m just looking at the way Hall has embraced the area and his teammates. He has gone out of his way to point out how much he’s enjoyed being here. I think that he believes in what Shero is doing. And in the end- money always talks. We can offer him more than anyone, plus the extra year. Shero made it clear he’s the first priority. Ownership made it clear he’s the first priority. Money isn’t an issue even a little bit like it was with Parise. I just think some of you are too negative man. It’s not as dire as some of you make it out to be. 

• Like 2

Also one other thing about Kovalchuk.  His leaving probably did help the team avoid bankruptcy and made the sale easier.  I seem to recall reading that the amount of money he was owed did figure in discussions with at least one of the potential buyers, I think Barroway, which was a nice bullet we dodged.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m certainly no psychic or anything, I’m just looking at the way Hall has embraced the area and his teammates. He has gone out of his way to point out how much he’s enjoyed being here. I think that he believes in what Shero is doing. And in the end- money always talks. We can offer him more than anyone, plus the extra year. Shero made it clear he’s the first priority. Ownership made it clear he’s the first priority. Money isn’t an issue even a little bit like it was with Parise. I just think some of you are too negative man. It’s not as dire as some of you make it out to be. 

Yes and no.  How many times have teams been rejected by UFA even though they threw out the best offer?

Weren't we the ones with the highest offers to both Nieds and Rafalski when they walked?

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe I am being too negative. I think there's been a lot of speculation about guys not wanting to play here, maybe that's clouding my judgment. Like I said, I hope you're right. 

I think saying "we can offer him more than anyone" is true as far as the extra year goes, but I don't think for a second that there aren't other teams that could match the dollar amount. But I am certainly on board with the plan of offering him a truck full of money. 

Assuming he ever plays again, of course. 

You also threw Hischier in the mix there. What do you think he is going to command when his deal is up? 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Yes and no.  How many times have teams been rejected by UFA even though they threw out the best offer?

Weren't we the ones with the highest offers to both Nieds and Rafalski when they walked?

You aren’t wrong, but being able to offer the most money is never a bad thing. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I am being too negative. I think there's been a lot of speculation about guys not wanting to play here, maybe that's clouding my judgment. Like I said, I hope you're right. 

There really isn’t any good reason to not wanna play here.... but like most people who aren’t from NJ, most hockey players are too ignorant and unintelligent to actually understand what NJ has to offer. Basic geography also seems to escape these dolts as well, as NYC is eight miles away, if the big city is what you’re into (plus you also have Hoboken and a more gentrified Jersey City). Also, you’re going to play for a proud organization with a winning pedigree. If you don’t wanna play here, my attitude is fvck you, and wake up.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think saying "we can offer him more than anyone" is true as far as the extra year goes, but I don't think for a second that there aren't other teams that could match the dollar amount. But I am certainly on board with the plan of offering him a truck full of money. 

Assuming he ever plays again, of course. 

You also threw Hischier in the mix there. What do you think he is going to command when his deal is up? 

Nico will probably ask for something like 5 or 6 per year I’d guess. Maybe something like 6/36?  I honestly don’t really know, because it depends on how far along he is in his development by the time he’s up for his extension. I’d think the Devils wouldn’t be looking for a bridge deal, and neither would Nico. I’d think it would be somewhere between a 5 and 7 year deal.

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nico will probably ask for something like 5 or 6 per year I’d guess. Maybe something like 6/36?  I honestly don’t really know, because it depends on how far along he is in his development by the time he’s up for his extension. I’d think the Devils wouldn’t be looking for a bridge deal, and neither would Nico. I’d think it would be somewhere between a 5 and 7 year deal.

I would give him 6 million a year for six years if he continues to progress the way he’s progressing. That seems like a no brainer at that price.

• Like 2

I also think a nice x factor is Hall has seen what a nightmare Oiler's "fans"  and a big hockey market can be and now playing here he has seen what it's like to play the game he loves, while making a sh!t ton of money while still being relatively unknown and not harrased by "fans" is a great thing. 

He can keep his privacy, be right next to a large city, still have a big house in a nice area. Plus the practice rink being connected to the arena is a huge bonus too. There really are a sh!t ton of benefits to playing here that seem to never be sold to ufas as much as I'd sell them on it lol

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

IRCC, Nieds went specifically to play with his brother (the 03 cup broke his heart and his mother’s, that i do remember) and Rafi at least openly said he wanted to go home. Then again it was the early 2000s and my memory sucks even from last week so I very well could be wrong. 

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If we actually have $35 million in cap space, that means we could pay Taylor 10 million, Nico 6, million, pay for Connor McDavid, and have the highest paid goalie in the league. That is how much Space we have. Ridiculous.

If this were one of the NHL video games... oh man you could do damage with the mediocre talent it actually let’s get to free agency and the rare star!

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

IRCC, Nieds went specifically to play with his brother (the 03 cup broke his heart and his mother’s, that i do remember) and Rafi at least openly said he wanted to go home. Then again it was the early 2000s and my memory sucks even from last week so I very well could be wrong. 

That was exactly his point. 

I'm fairly confident that Hall will re-sign, and if not I trust Shero to get a good return for him. As for the guys we lost to UFA, another big difference is that the team culture (behind the scenes) has changed dramatically. As much as I loved and defended Lou, his approach was far from player friendly. I think that did have an impact, even if small. Players probably felt pretty micro-managed. Elias seems like a guy who was bothered by it but still stayed.

• Like 1