Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

there's really not much on the market we should consider this summer so we really need to put yourself in a good spot for the draft or for a trade.

Only players worth exploring are like Stone, Panarin, Karlsson, Skinner, Bobrovsky? And even those are highly debatable. 

But of course it's quite possible that none of those guys would want to sign in NJ. And then some fans would lose their sh!t that we did "nothing" and didn't throw 85m over 7 years to Edler or Chara. Or they'll lose their sh!t if we do sign someone they don't know lol

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

9 years ago today we acquired Kovy.... 

cant believe it’s been that long

It felt like for the first time in a while, we were on the right end of one of those deals and all was good. 

Not so fast lol. 

Hadn't checked in a while, he's up to 10G, 13A in 41 games played. A 20 goal, 46 point pace for a full season. His numbers compare most to Marcus Johansson, 8G, 12A in 39 games. Not impressive but not as bad as I hoped for. 

In fairness to Kovy, he does still lead the league in being a traitorous douche. 

15 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

35 getting back to health and good play is in our best interest. Let's see what happens. 29 playing in the NHL or AHL is great for now. He just needs to play.

I hope Cory rebounds and this is a blip on the radar as he finishes his contract. If he blows, however, I think this being a lost season is the perfect scenario for 29: no pressure to win, just go in do your best and get experience. If you lose, no big deal, if he wins good for him (but sucks for the team as whole a bit, but oh well)

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness to Kovy, he does still lead the league in being a traitorous douche. 

He did us the biggest favor he could’ve possibly done. I couldn’t care less about him. The fact that Devils fans still get triggered by this guy is just annoying at this point.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He did us the biggest favor he could’ve possibly done. I couldn’t care less about him. The fact that Devils fans still get triggered by this guy is just annoying at this point.

Would have liked it if he gave us a chance to trade his rights a couple of seasons ago, but pretty much this.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn't exactly say I'm triggered, I just think if you sign a contract you should live up to it. The whole fake retirement, play in Russia thing rubs me the wrong way. 

I'm also not sure what favor he did us, because we'd only be $25 million under the cap instead of $35 million? We didn't use his space for anything. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't exactly say I'm triggered, I just think if you sign a contract you should live up to it. The whole fake retirement, play in Russia thing rubs me the wrong way. 

I'm also not sure what favor he did us, because we'd only be $25 million under the cap instead of $35 million? We didn't use his space for anything. 

That space will come in incredibly handy real soon..... and cap space gets eaten quick. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yet 😉

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That space will come in incredibly handy real soon..... and cap space gets eaten quick. 

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yet 😉

Ahh, so we've just been biding our time for the past 6 years and we'll make some huge impact on the would-be back end of Kovy's deal. That makes total sense. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ahh, so we've just been biding our time for the past 6 years and we'll make some huge impact on the would-be back end of Kovy's deal. That makes total sense. 

There are these two guys named Hall and Hischier... perhaps you’ve heard of them.

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There are these two guys named Hall and Hischier... perhaps you’ve heard of them.

You don't need $35m or $25m in cap space to sign those two guys. You probably don't need $10m because one of them is probably not going to sign. 

Also, what about the 3-4 years before they showed up and the last couple of years with them...we couldn't have used that $35m worth of additional talent to support them??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I wonder if Uncle Lou would be interested in trading for Captain Andy Greene for some playoff veteran leadership? He does lead the league in blocked shots and is an even +/-, so he checks some old-school statistical boxes. 

I mean if he wants to give us Barzal I would take him, but otherwise I'm not giving up the guy with the most blocked shots in the league. ;)

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You don't need $35m or $25m in cap space to sign those two guys. You probably don't need $10m because one of them is probably not going to sign. 

Also, what about the 3-4 years before they showed up and the last couple of years with them...we couldn't have used that $35m worth of additional talent to support them??

I mean, along with more baseless Hall paranoia mixed in here, you’re going ahead and assuming Hall and Hischier would be here to begin with if Kovalchuk didn’t leave. Think butterfly effect. He’s gone, it’s good that he’s gone, he isn’t the least bit missed, and he did us a gigantic favor in hindsight. I don’t see how this is arguable, so I’m not going to argue it. Feel free to agree to disagree. 

Am I the only one who is more annoyed about how Parise left than when Kovy left?  Kovy was getting pretty banged up when he left and that contract was going to be really brutal to our cap situation if he continued to play it out.

In the mean time, Parise left to go to the Wild so he can be the bitch-bottom to Suter and was in no way even serious about re-signing here (per Russo's latest article in the Athletic).  Yeah it is his right to do what he wants since he was an UFA, but he lost a lot of respect from me when he let his future get largely determined by where another dude decides to play.

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Can’t wait for Schneider to give up three goals on five shots Tuesday, with two of them going in in the first five minutes. Gonna be fun. Hopefully after this pending charade, they waive him and stick him in Bing for the rest of the season. fvck this sh!t.

Kovy with the hattrick?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Am I the only one who is more annoyed about how Parise left than when Kovy left?  Kovy was getting pretty banged up when he left and that contract was going to be really brutal to our cap situation if he continued to play it out.

In the mean time, Parise left to go to the Wild so he can be the bitch-bottom to Suter and was in no way even serious about re-signing here (per Russo's latest article in the Athletic).  Yeah it is his right to do what he wants since he was an UFA, but he lost a lot of respect from me when he let his future get largely determined by where another dude decides to play.

Parise pissed me off infinitely more than Kovalchuk. Now what this fan base needs to do is separate Hall from Parise, look at the circumstances involved, and knock off this bullsh!t, over the top fear he isn’t re-signing. It’s beyond annoying at this point.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Parise pissed me off infinitely more than Kovalchuk. Now what this fan base needs to do is separate Hall from Parise, look at the circumstances involved, and knock off this bullsh!t, over the top fear he isn’t re-signing. It’s beyond annoying at this point.

Right now I am in the mindset where I wouldn't be thrilled if Hall was moved, but I would understand and not get upset by it.  We are also in a different place than we were in 2012.

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Right now I am in the mindset where I wouldn't be thrilled if Hall was moved, but I would understand and not get upset by it.  We are also in a different place than we were in 2012.

Hall is the future captain and he’s 27. He’s a big part of the solution. The only way he’s moved is if he tells Shero he’d rather make a lateral move to some other middling sh!tbag team, because no Cup contender has nearly enough cap room for him. Since the Devils can pay him more and give him more term than any other middling sh!tbag team, he’ll re-sign. I mean, this isn’t hard to flesh out. 

Edited by MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is the future captain and he’s 27. He’s a big part of the solution. The only way he’s moved is if he tells Shero he’d rather make a lateral move to some other middling sh!tbag team, because no Cup contender has nearly enough cap room for him. Since the Devils can pay him more and give him more term than any other middling sh!tbag team, he’ll re-sign. I mean, this isn’t hard to flesh out. 

Players sign with teams for both logical and illogical reasons.  The Devils having the most cap space isn't giving me all the warm and fuzzies.  Even though I am glad we didn't get any of the UFA this past off-season the fact that more than one told Shero to pound sand after coming off our best season in 6 years is somewhat concerning.

The Devils are also years away from being a contender, with or without Hall.  We don't know how Hall will be when the Devils are finally contenders again.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, along with more baseless Hall paranoia mixed in here, you’re going ahead and assuming Hall and Hischier would be here to begin with if Kovalchuk didn’t leave. Think butterfly effect. He’s gone, it’s good that he’s gone, he isn’t the least bit missed, and he did us a gigantic favor in hindsight. I don’t see how this is arguable, so I’m not going to argue it. Feel free to agree to disagree. 

In hindsight?  I was ecstatic when he bailed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Players sign with teams for both logical and illogical reasons.  The Devils having the most cap space isn't giving me all the warm and fuzzies.  Even though I am glad we didn't get any of the UFA this past off-season the fact that more than one told Shero to pound sand after coming off our best season in 6 years is somewhat concerning.

The Devils are also years away from being a contender, with or without Hall.  We don't know how Hall will be when the Devils are finally contenders again.

I honestly just wish we were allowed to re-sign him right now, because it would already be done, and we wouldn’t need to have this conversation. He’s not going anywhere. You can book that.