GDT: Devils vs. Nashville, 10/25/18,

mfitz804

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The Legend of the Wiener Man

That is actually a really awesome story.  Love it! 

Just now, titans04 said:

This is why I was and am disappointed they sat on their hands this off season.  This team barely made the playoffs and it took a heroic effort of a few guys.  The bottom half or third could be improved upon.  To me they are asking and banking on guys to play above their heads.  We can all pretend we know who was available and who wasn't. In reality we simply don't know what conversations were had or which ones could of been had if pursued. Status quo is and was terribly risky and I think over time we will see this team fall back into the same position  they were in last year rather than taking a big step forward.  We are one injury away from being a borderline bottom feeder.

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

They have players they're going to have to pay before we know it.

They have guys who are still young and who they wanted to see develop, or at least get a better feel for as to how they fit into the Devils' plans in 2019-20 and beyond.  In the case of Wood and MoJo, there were fair reasons to assume that they could provide more offense than they did last season...or that Bratt could be more consistent in his second full season (and easy to forget he's still lying in the weeds)...it was more iffy with Zacha, but I can't get on Shero for not diving into a not-great UFA market (especially when Tavares had zero interest in coming here). 

You're also ruling out the possibility that Shero won't make an in-season move.  If he doesn't like what he's seeing, I think he'd definitely explore such a possibility sooner than later.  It wasn't that far into the season when he dealt Henrique for Vatanen last year. 

Even though we've seen some holes so far, this is still a pretty puny sample.  Yeah, there's a few players I'm starting to wonder about a little.  But nothing so drastic that I think the Devils are going to crash and burn if someone gets hurt (though obviously if it's Palms, Hischier, or Hall long term, things could get dicey). 

I think we should just forfeit the last 75 games and get ready for the draft. Obviously not signing one of the just amazing, franchise-changing UFA’s that that were available last summer has done us in for good, and Zacha is so horrible and useless and just such a gigantic bust that I heard he’s gonna retire and go live in a monestary. Shero didn’t trade for McDavid or Crosby, so I think we should probably just fire him. I mean, it’s just a hopeless situation after seven games. Jack Hughes better start looking for houses in Essex Fells baby, #1 pick here we come. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think we should just forfeit the last 75 games and get ready for the draft. Obviously not signing one of the just amazing, franchise-changing UFA’s that that were available last summer has done us in for good, and Zacha is so horrible and useless and just such a gigantic bust that I heard he’s gonna retire and go live in a monestary. Shero didn’t trade for McDavid or Crosby, so I think we should probably just fire him. I mean, it’s just a hopeless situation after seven games. Jack Hughes better start looking for houses in Essex Fells baby, #1 pick here we come. 

This is the most rational and well thought out conclusion I think any of us could have come to. Pack it in boys! There is always next season.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You forgot trading Hall for Adam Larsson, otherwise accurate. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

come on man that's nowhere near what I said or insinuated. I think you and I usually agree which is cool, and I get the other side of this argument. In NO way am I saying blow it up or pack it in.  I just think status quo was extremely risky.  Q already being sent down indicates he's not ready.  Nose, Coleman I think could of been upgraded. Dea is in his 6th pro season and has never had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wood flys no doubt about that but I still think he has a lot to prove.  What Bratt and Schnieder are we going to get and for how long.  And then there's Almost, I just don't see him being anything else other than what we see. All that said I don't think making the playoffs is given.  If Hall or Nico were to get hurt for an extended period of time I could see them easily missing.

LGD.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree with all of this.  Not to mention the reigning MVP has regressed and his best days are behind him, our leading scorer this year has plateaued and wouldn't be able to sustain that pace, and our normal starting goalie has a chronic injury and there's no hope of him coming back.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

come on man that's nowhere near what I said or insinuated. I think you and I usually agree which is cool, and I get the other side of this argument. In NO way am I saying blow it up or pack it in.  I just think status quo was extremely risky.  Q already being sent down indicates he's not ready.  Nose, Coleman I think could of been upgraded. Dea is in his 6th pro season and has never had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wood flys no doubt about that but I still think he has a lot to prove.  What Bratt and Schnieder are we going to get and for how long.  And then there's Almost, I just don't see him being anything else other than what we see. All that said I don't think making the playoffs is given.  If Hall or Nico were to get hurt for an extended period of time I could see them easily missing.

LGD.

I think we all know the playoffs aren't a given.  Yes, the off-season was pretty mild and not much changed, so given how some other teams did make improvements, it's entirely possible that since we just squeaked in last year, we might have trouble doing the same thing again this year. With that said though, I don't really think you can look at the current state of the team and blame the weaknesses and shortcomings squarely on a lack of moves and transactions this past summer.  Shero can only do so much, and sometimes you have to see what you've got.  Coleman, Noesen, and Zacha are all playing below expectations right now, but that's not to say that none of them can turn it around.  They're all capable of repeating or exceeding performances from last season.  And yes, if Hall or Nico get hurt we're definitely looking at many losses and very likely no playoff appearance, but that's true of almost any team.  The Lightning would be very different without Stamkos and Kucherov, Pens different without Crosby and Malkin, Toronto different without Matthews and Tavares, etc.

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree with all of this.  Not to mention the reigning MVP has regressed and his best days are behind him, our leading scorer this year has plateaued and wouldn't be able to sustain that pace, and our normal starting goalie has a chronic injury and there's no hope of him coming back.

Nico also the biggest bust in the history of first overall picks. Burn the team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, titans04 said:

LGD.

Seven. Freaking. Games. Have a bong and a blintz and relax man. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Seven. Freaking. Games. Have a bong and a blintz and relax man. 

And they're 4-2-1 to boot.  It's really all of three games that are making some people nervous. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

And our backup, now starting goalie is going to have to check into rehab for his mid-game pretzel addiction. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And they're 4-2-1 to boot.  It's really all of three games that are making some people nervous. 

Valid point, and NOBODY should be nervous about last night's game. We took a point in a game against one of the best teams in the league. they played their backup goalie, and guess what, technically I think we did too. And bad luck, KK missed that shot from just inside the blue line that shouldn't have been a goal. Sh!t happens to all goalies, last night was the night. That doesn't happen and we won the game. It happens. 

Sure, when you're up you want to hold the lead. But against a first place team outside the division, I would have been happy to sign up for a guaranteed point at the start of action. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Totally saw you! So awesome. 

It was funny, I was just kind of spacing out at first, then saw the two Nashville peeps sitting in front of me on the screen, then saw my daughter and ME on the big screen...she didn't realize it right away either, but once she did, she lit up like 1000 Xmas trees, heh heh.  Made her day...she's been hoping for a practice puck, and so far no luck. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It was funny, I was just kind of spacing out at first, then saw the two Nashville peeps sitting in front of me on the screen, then saw my daughter and ME on the big screen...she didn't realize it right away either, but once she did, she lit up like 1000 Xmas trees, heh heh.  Made her day...she's been hoping for a practice puck, and so far no luck. 

There is nothing better than when a kid realizes they're on the big screen and just light up with a smile.  It's great to see, and I love that the Devils seem to be particularly good at catering to and finding kids in the crowd.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same, brother. Last time we were in the lower bowl, my daughter got on the screen at least 6 times. One time, I was ready for it, but unfortunately, the picture came out like this:

IMG_3677

That's a rare online glimpse of my dumb a$$ on the left side, I don't post pictures of myself lol. 

EDIT: I also appear to have been wearing the very coat I donated at the coat drive last night. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And our backup, now starting goalie is going to have to check into rehab for his mid-game pretzel addiction. 

Imagine the horror if he knew there was a guy in the stands throwing out free hot dogs...Headlines would have read, "Devils Keith Kinkaid ejected for climbing the glass to get into crowd; just wanted free hotdog". 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There is nothing better than when a kid realizes they're on the big screen and just light up with a smile.  It's great to see, and I love that the Devils seem to be particularly good at catering to and finding kids in the crowd.

She got up there at least twice...the first time she didn't realize it until the very last second, but once she was aware that second time...great great stuff. 

And wow does that "old" scoreboard from mfitz's post look ancient already.  Still miles ahead of the old center-ice scoreboard at CAA...some of you might remember that one model that was made up of a bunch of smaller TV-like screens (think it was a 5X5 matrix, 25 screens total)...you could see each screen's borders, which wasn't exactly a plus...a screen here and a screen there would stop working, quite often...I think the Devils dumped that tech pretty quickly IIRC, for more "Standard" screens...I don't think the matrix screens lasted for more than a half-season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

She got up there at least twice...the first time she didn't realize it until the very last second, but once she was aware that second time...great great stuff. 

And wow does that "old" scoreboard from mfitz's post look ancient already.  Still miles ahead of the old center-ice scoreboard at CAA...some of you might remember that one model that was made up of a bunch of smaller TV-like screens (think it was a 5X5 matrix, 25 screens total)...you could see each screen's borders, which wasn't exactly a plus...a screen here and a screen there would stop working, quite often...I think the Devils dumped that tech pretty quickly IIRC, for more "Standard" screens...I don't think the matrix screens lasted for more than a half-season.

I had to double check when that picture was from, because it seemed like it was so long ago with the old screen!

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Imagine the horror if he knew there was a guy in the stands throwing out free hot dogs...Headlines would have read, "Devils Keith Kinkaid ejected for climbing the glass to get into crowd; just wanted free hotdog". 

I think that guy might have been able to get one over the glass if KK wanted one...

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Asiaonlytimewilltell.jpg

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Asiaonlytimewilltell.jpg

Only Time Will Tell...nice !

Sadly I think these screens look better than the ones at CAA...

• Like 2