GDT: Devils @ Vegas - 6 Jan 18, 4pm Eastern

jagknife

34 minutes ago, devlman said:

Replace what exactly?

Right. Anyone in Binghamton can turn the puck over and barely score. 

Although, we saw a Lovejoy goal with a Zacha assist yesterday, which is like finding a unicorn in the wild while its buttfvcking a Sasquatch. 

14 hours ago, Aznjsn said:

Alright, back on the tank for Hughes train. What do we really expect even if they had pulled off a win here? We are in no position to make a playoff push or even make it to thru the first round IF we miraculously made it with this sh!t team.

Had we won last night, we'd be .500.  17-7-7 at this point in the season isn't great, but far from horrible, considering our best player has been out for more than half a dozen games this season, our usual starting goalie has been awful, and the defense in general just showing signs of age and not having changed/improved in the off-season via roster moves.  That said, I didn't expect to win last night, and it doesn't change much for me.

Everyone knows I'm never keen on tanking, but I actually heard a Rangers fan yesterday mention that they were considering tanking quite soon now too, and that they're about 10th in the draft order.  They essentially were calculating how far out they are from potentially landing Hughes, and that to me is absolutely ludicrous.  I mean, is that what this league has come to?  Where essentially half the league is going to look to "tank"?  I mean, just because you're not in the top 16 at every single point in the season doesn't mean your team is absolute garbage.  Frankly, I tend to agree with what CR has said a couple times over the last few seasons, in that, this league is a lot closer to being a state of "on any given night just about any team can beat any team", as opposed to the general sense that "half the league is full of teams that should tank and be competing for the #1 draft spot every year, and the other half are clearly the worthy playoff contenders."  I mean honestly, if people think more along the lines of the former, then why even play the regular season at all?  Let's just end the season after 10 games, and start the playoffs in the middle of November.   

Edited by NJDfan1711
Not sure why it triple-posted

I hope yesterday pretty much shredded the belief among our fanbase that KK is not only a starter, but an above average goalie.  I can't wait for him to be gone from this team.  The sooner we get over the love affair for this, at best, average backup the sooner the Devils can take a step forward.

And yeah Zacha continues to show that he is still a big bust.  I can imagine there is some obscure stat out there that one of the stat geeks can conjure up to show Zacha is either the best or among the best at something.  I really don't give a sh!t at this point what it could be.  He just sucks.

Also Wood can fvck off too.  Takes at least 1 dumb penalty each game.  He's hardly scoring and puts us behind the eight-ball with his penalties.  What a great bargain he is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Had we won last night, we'd be .500.  17-7-7 at this point in the season isn't great, but far from horrible, considering our best player has been out for more than half a dozen games this season, our usual starting goalie has been awful, and the defense in general just showing signs of age and not having changed/improved in the off-season via roster moves.  That said, I didn't expect to win last night, and it doesn't change much for me.

Everyone knows I'm never keen on tanking, but I actually heard a Rangers fan yesterday mention that they were considering tanking quite soon now too, and that they're about 10th in the draft order.  They essentially were calculating how far out they are from potentially landing Hughes, and that to me is absolutely ludicrous.  I mean, is that what this league has come to?  Where essentially half the league is going to look to "tank"?  I mean, just because you're not in the top 16 at every single point in the season doesn't mean your team is absolute garbage.  Frankly, I tend to agree with what CR has said a couple times over the last few seasons, in that, this league is a lot closer to being a state of "on any given night just about any team can beat any team", as opposed to the general sense that "half the league is full of teams that should tank and be competing for the #1 draft spot every year, and the other half are clearly the worthy playoff contenders."  I mean honestly, if people think more along the lines of the former, then why even play the regular season at all?  Let's just end the season after 10 games, and start the playoffs in the middle of November.   

It's a problem with the post-2005 lockout NHL in general.  Too many teams are just so close to each other.  Being 10 points out of a playoff spot in 2019 is like being 20-25 points out of a playoff spot 15 years ago.  There are only about 1-3 truly dreadful teams in the NHL these days where middling teams like the Devils can feast on.

Teams used to make the playoffs in the 80's and even 90's with losing records.  That simply doesn't happen anymore.  It's almost impossible to get out of holes that you dig yourself into early on in the season and typically what the standings look like on Thanksgiving is what the standings look like generally come playoff time.

Edited by DevsMan84

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I hope yesterday pretty much shredded the belief among our fanbase that KK is not only a starter, but an above average goalie.  I can't wait for him to be gone from this team.  The sooner we get over the love affair for this, at best, average backup the sooner the Devils can take a step forward.

And yeah Zacha continues to show that he is still a big bust.  I can imagine there is some obscure stat out there that one of the stat geeks can conjure up to show Zacha is either the best or among the best at something.  I really don't give a sh!t at this point what it could be.  He just sucks.

Also Wood can fvck off too.  Takes at least 1 dumb penalty each game.  He's hardly scoring and puts us behind the eight-ball with his penalties.  What a great bargain he is.

I don't think KK is a starter - I was willing to give him the chance, but now I agree, he isn't.  With that said though, you don't even want him as the backup anymore?  What other options do we really have?  I'd turn the keys over to Blackwood, and see if KK wants to remain the backup to him.  If he doesn't, let him walk, but I think he's still capable of being a serviceable backup, and at his age, be probably shouldn't have a problem with that role.

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think KK is a starter - I was willing to give him the chance, but now I agree, he isn't.  With that said though, you don't even want him as the backup anymore?  What other options do we really have?  I'd turn the keys over to Blackwood, and see if KK wants to remain the backup to him.  If he doesn't, let him walk, but I think he's still capable of being a serviceable backup, and at his age, be probably shouldn't have a problem with that role.

Backups are a dime a dozen.  We can find someone who will be cheaper and younger.  I just want to cut loose from him so our fans love affair with him can be over with.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's a problem with the post-2005 lockout NHL in general.  Too many teams are just so close to each other.  Being 10 points out of a playoff spot in 2019 is like being 20-25 points out of a playoff spot 15 years ago.  There are only about 1-3 truly dreadful teams in the NHL these days where middling teams like the Devils can feast on.

Teams used to make the playoffs in the 80's and even 90's with losing records.  That simply doesn't happen anymore.  It's almost impossible to get out of holes that you dig yourself into early on in the season and typically what the standings look like on Thanksgiving is what the standings look like generally come playoff time.

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Re:  KK, it all really depends on how convinced one is that Blackwood is ready to be the Devils #1 in the immediate future (as in, as soon as he's healthy enough to try to build off what he started), and what the Devils do with Cory.

If the Devils let KK walk and dare to buy out Cory, you can spend a fair amount on a backup but a guy who is fully capable of starting if need be (KK is making very little, really...only $1.3 million this season).  You can shop in the $3 - 4.5 million range now, if so inclined (assuming KK would've gotten a minor raise next season, the Devils would've been on the hook for a combined goalie cap hit of about $7.5 - 8 million...if both Cory and KK are gone, Devils are on the hook for $2 million of dead money...fair to keep in mind that Blackwood is a RFA after this season, so if he comes back healthy and continues to play well, he'll get a multi-year deal at nice coin for a guy who will only have one NHL season under his belt...figure at least $2 million per season, possibly more).  

Upgrading over KK might mean that Blackwood gets brought along a little more slowly with the big club (less than 50 starts per season), but at least you might have better insurance than what KK provides (when asked to do more, or in his case, too much).

A list of UFA and RFA goalies:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Everyone knows I'm never keen on tanking, but I actually heard a Rangers fan yesterday mention that they were considering tanking quite soon now too, and that they're about 10th in the draft order.  They essentially were calculating how far out they are from potentially landing Hughes, and that to me is absolutely ludicrous.  I mean, is that what this league has come to?  Where essentially half the league is going to look to "tank"?

I think that's where things have been for a decade+ now. Only  difference now is that the Rangers are Devils are relatively new to being consistently in that bottom 16, so both fanbases are now in on the tank/1st overall pick conversation other fanbases like Buffalo, Edmonton, Colorado, and Toronto were having for the better part of the last 10 years, and those fanbases (except Edmonton LOL) are enjoying talking about trades and making the playoffs.

Let's thank our lucky stars for the draft lottery, that's made things better. It'd be a lot worse if being the worst team still guaranteed you a 1st overall. Tanking discussions would be way more toxic if that were still the rule.

Edited by DJ Eco

35 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Honestly it’s inexcusable at this point. You can’t run into the goalie. Every time he comes close, he runs over the goalie. With the puck, without the puck. He must have at least 4 penalties for it. If you have a breakaway or a partial break and you get a penalty, you’ve done something wrong. 

Did nobody teach him you aren’t allowed to do that??

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Backups are a dime a dozen.  We can find someone who will be cheaper and younger.  I just want to cut loose from him so our fans love affair with him can be over with.

I don't think there's some love affair with him on the fans' part...not here, anyway (unless you're talking about the mutant contingent).  I think KK did buy some currency with us when he stepped in for Cory down the stretch and played well, and started off strong this season, but that's about all used up.  I think we realize that continually asking a KK-type to cover up for Cory falling apart is definitely asking too much.  I'm also open to the idea of getting a solid vet who can handle both starting and backup duties with more consistency (and spending more for such a player).  As I mentioned in the previous post, it's not like KK is being paid a fortune by any stretch. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Honestly it’s inexcusable at this point. You can’t run into the goalie. Every time he comes close, he runs over the goalie. With the puck, without the puck. He must have at least 4 penalties for it. If you have a breakaway or a partial break and you get a penalty, you’ve done something wrong. 

Did nobody teach him you aren’t allowed to do that??

Yeah I've truly reached the point that I would really like Wood to be more than some big dumb animal. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I've truly reached the point that I would really like Wood to be more than some big dumb animal. 

And he’s not even that big. Notice he stayed far away from Mr. Reaves last night, that wasn’t by accident. He’s not tough with tough guys. He’s just crazy. But not that crazy. 

Edited by mfitz804

Wood needs to be reeled in big time. He doesn't go fully in on the goalies like Kreider did his first couple years, but the intent is the same, and the refs know it by now. He plays too close to the edge and it's only a matter of time every game before he does something stupid and hands the opposing team a power play or 2.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think there's some love affair with him on the fans' part...not here, anyway (unless you're talking about the mutant contingent).  I think KK did buy some currency with us when he stepped in for Cory down the stretch and played well, and started off strong this season, but that's about all used up.  I think we realize that continually asking a KK-type to cover up for Cory falling apart is definitely asking too much.  I'm also open to the idea of getting a solid vet who can handle both starting and backup duties with more consistency (and spending more for such a player).  As I mentioned in the previous post, it's not like KK is being paid a fortune by any stretch. 

There is on FB and Twitter and basically every other outlet you can find besides here.  It's more than just a contingent too.

What KK did last year is what it is; last year.  Same as I cannot bring up Cory's accomplishments in his first 3.5 seasons here; they're irrelevant to what is happening now.

KK is not being paid much now, but you know when he hits UFA some GM will take that stretch he had last year and make it more than it was and we are in a bidding war now for a fvcking backup.  I really don't care if he is making "only" $1.5-2M next season.  That's already too much where you can get an equal, if not better, backup for less or a full-time stopgap for $3-4M.

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

There is on FB and Twitter and basically every other outlet you can find besides here.  It's more than just a contingent too.

What KK did last year is what it is; last year.  Same as I cannot bring up Cory's accomplishments in his first 3.5 seasons here; they're irrelevant to what is happening now.

KK is not being paid much now, but you know when he hits UFA some GM will take that stretch he had last year and make it more than it was and we are in a bidding war now for a fvcking backup.  I really don't care if he is making "only" $1.5-2M next season.  That's already too much where you can get an equal, if not better, backup for less or a full-time stopgap for $3-4M.

Um....where are you finding a "better" backup goalie for less than 1-2 million a year?  Johnathan Bernier makes 3M.  Mike Smith 4.25.  John Gibson makes 2.3 and is about to be paid 6.4, his backup makes 1.75 and is UFA next year. Aaron Dell makes 2M and is a UFA after next year.  Halak makes 2.75. Grubauer makes 3.3. Khudobin makes 2.5.  Saros makes 1.5 and isn't better than Kinkaid.  I could go on and on.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

AMEN

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Um....where are you finding a "better" backup goalie for less than 1-2 million a year?  Johnathan Bernier makes 3M.  Mike Smith 4.25.  John Gibson makes 2.3 and is about to be paid 6.4, his backup makes 1.75 and is UFA next year. Aaron Dell makes 2M and is a UFA after next year.  Halak makes 2.75. Grubauer makes 3.3. Khudobin makes 2.5.  Saros makes 1.5 and isn't better than Kinkaid.  I could go on and on.

You literally named every backup that is easily better than KK.  Paying KK, for what he brings, $2M+ is way too much.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You literally named every backup that is easily better than KK.  Paying KK, for what he brings, $2M+ is way too much.

I get the feeling wherever KK signs, it won't be for all that much more than he's making now, even with the big run last season.  He just hasn't been consistent enough (either as a fill-in #1 or as a backup) to warrant a huge raise. 

At any rate, the Devils don't really need to bargain-hunt for a dual-role kind of goalie next year...I'm fine with paying more for an upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling wherever KK signs, it won't be for all that much more than he's making now, even with the big run last season.  He just hasn't been consistent enough (either as a fill-in #1 or as a backup) to warrant a huge raise. 

At any rate, the Devils don't really need to bargain-hunt for a dual-role kind of goalie next year...I'm fine with paying more for an upgrade.

That's the key part.  Re-signing KK for even on the cheap doesn't solve anything, especially with the way he is playing.

I simply can't understand why people think KK is all that good or worth having sticking around.

• Like 2

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

That's the key part.  Re-signing KK for even on the cheap doesn't solve anything, especially with the way he is playing.

I simply can't understand why people think KK is all that good or worth having sticking around.

It all goes back to the same thing...Cory looking SO bad has made the full balance of KK's play since December look a lot better than it's really been.  Kinda how a 6.5 - 7 can suddenly look more like a 10 in a room of 2s and 3s.  But then you see a possible 8+ run through the room (that would be Mac, heh heh), and suddenly everyone forgets about the 6.5

But he's put up an .878 save% in his last 14 GP, and is at .892 since that 4-0 start...basically, about the same number that had many of us wanting Shero to consider an upgrade last season, just before KK went on that run out of nowhere.  Like I said, the currency he built up from that is just about spent.  EVERYONE wants to see Blackwood back ASAP, even though we haven't seen enough from him yet either...but at least with him, there's genuine hope.  There isn't nearly enough of that with KK having to be the #1 by default.  So I hope we're not reading about a "no-brainer" extension for KK prior to the UFA period...I hope Shero heavily explores other options. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It all goes back to the same thing...Cory looking SO bad has made the full balance of KK's play since December look a lot better than it's really been.  Kinda how a 6.5 - 7 can suddenly look more like a 10 in a room of 2s and 3s.  But then you see a possible 8+ run through the room (that would be Mac, heh heh), and suddenly everyone forgets about the 6.5

But he's put up an .878 save% in his last 14 GP, and is at .892 since that 4-0 start...basically, about the same number that had many of us wanting Shero to consider an upgrade last season, just before KK went on that run out of nowhere.  Like I said, the currency he built up from that is just about spent.  EVERYONE wants to see Blackwood back ASAP, even though we haven't seen enough from him yet either...but at least with him, there's genuine hope.  There isn't nearly enough of that with KK having to be the #1 by default.  So I hope we're not reading about a "no-brainer" extension for KK prior to the UFA period...I hope Shero heavily explores other options. 

Completely agree with your entire post and particularly the bolded part.  To have KK penciled in as the so-called best option for next season at this point is asinine.

3 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

It sucks that he's had two turnovers, but he's nowhere near the biggest problem on the team and it feels weird that every time we lose he's the consensus whipping boy. 

I totally agree with this. There's no denying he made mistakes but he's not alone in that and I think the good has outweighed the bad. But I suspect I'm in the minority.