GDT: Devils at Ducks, 3/1/2020 8pm Eastern

mfitz804

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean just speaking in terms of what's biologically possible he could (and will) gain well more than 10-15 pounds though it will take time and lots of surplus calories to maintain - especially given the cardio that hockey players get. That said he probably only needs 10-15 lbs to make himself safe out there. I'd like to see him put on 10 lbs this summer in a combination of muscle and some fat - he's young and has no real lifting experience which means he can synthesize muscle much faster than experienced lifters. He should be at around 4000 calories or more a day all summer.

I just looked and he's listed at 5'11" and 170lbs, is that right?? Seems too tall and also too heavy. 

If so, I don't think he's going to suddenly have a growth spurt at 18 (almost 19), and putting on 15 pounds would make him 5'11" and 185, and I don't see him getting much bigger than that. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I just looked and he's listed at 5'11" and 170lbs, is that right?? Seems too tall and also too heavy. 

If so, I don't think he's going to suddenly have a growth spurt at 18 (almost 19), and putting on 15 pounds would make him 5'11" and 185, and I don't see him getting much bigger than that. 

I don't want to become conspiratorial here, but to me, Jack is errr...not exactly 170 lbs. But whether he is or not, he can, even naturally, put on a lot more weight if he chooses to do so. Very few people reach their natural fat free mass potential in a lifetime. As for fat potential, well...humans seem to be much better at attaining that mark.

38 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't want to become conspiratorial here, but to me, Jack is errr...not exactly 170 lbs. But whether he is or not, he can, even naturally, put on a lot more weight if he chooses to do so. Very few people reach their natural fat free mass potential in a lifetime. As for fat potential, well...humans seem to be much better at attaining that mark.

Is it possible, sure. Is it likely?

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Asking the team to not be a fvcking disaster is being entitled?  Again, interim everything, our two number 1 overalls are questionable about being the best in their draft class, a $9M waste on defense, goaltending that hinges on a likely-to-be overworked rookie and an ownership who can't decide if they want to win now or want to rebuild again.

I am not asking to win a cup anytime soon, but it would be nice to not be one of the bottom 5 teams in the league like we have been for 4 of the past 5 seasons.

Well see. This is going in circles... We know why we're still at the bottom.

Who's fault is it that our 2 number 1 overalls are questionable? Every scouts on the planet agreed with our decisions. PLUS Nico wasn't projected #1 and we went out of our way and THAT was the right move. It's easy to be frustrated if you focus on results with hindsight 20/20 but at the time it was the best decision. What was the alternative? go off the board and pick Petterson? this board would have committed mass suicide

I certainly didn't agree with firing Shero but they made decisions in order to get better. We know why they made those decisions.

Plus we know why we didnt progress as much as we wanted. A bunch of "good moves on paper" didnt pan out, sucks but it can happen. And we knew it would take awhile to restock with talent. 5 years is really not much when you consider it usually takes a few years before prospects are actually ready. And we have a bunch of those prospects who were drafted in the last 5 years on the team already so it's not like we're not seeing progress there

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. I’m just saying, he’s pretty much the size he is going to be as a man, maybe give or take 10-15 pounds if he does hit the gym.

That’s a pretty big difference though. And there better be no if about it. I know Fitz already mentioned it’s one of the main priorities of the summer. 

42 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s a pretty big difference though. And there better be no if about it. I know Fitz already mentioned it’s one of the main priorities of the summer. 

I’m not saying it’s not a big difference over what he is now. I’m just saying, the narrative that at almost 19 he’s still a “growing boy” just isn’t true. But he can put in work and put on muscle. 

I can never figure out why guys like he (and Nico) don’t do that in anticipation of being the #1 pick. I would, I’d be doing everything I could you prove I was worthy. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying it’s not a big difference over what he is now. I’m just saying, the narrative that at almost 19 he’s still a “growing boy” just isn’t true. But he can put in work and put on muscle. 

I can never figure out why guys like he (and Nico) don’t do that in anticipation of being the #1 pick. I would, I’d be doing everything I could you prove I was worthy. 

He actually doesn’t turn 19 until after the season is over (May 14). Without looking it up I’d have to guess he’s one of the youngest players ever in the NHL. I know Nico turned 19 halfway through his rookie season. 

And I’m sure it’s easier to get bigger and stronger once you’re rich, and on a pro team with all their resources. There’s going to be people whose main job it is to make that happen. 

Edited by Nicomo

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He actually doesn’t turn 19 until after the season is over (May 14). Without looking it up I’d have to guess he’s one of the youngest players ever in the NHL. I know Nico turned 19 halfway through his rookie season. 

And I’m sure it’s easier to get bigger and stronger once you’re rich, and on a pro team with all their resources. There’s going to be people whose main job it is to make that happen. 

When the season ends is not relevant to my point. He’s going to be 19 in two months. He’s almost 19. 

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

imo he will always be an undersized kid I just hope he can become a much better player while being just that. 

You can look around the league and see players like Marchand, Gaudreau, DeBrincat, and others that are way smaller than Hughes that have had a lot of success. It’s strength, not size, that is the key here. 

and on the flip side there's probably hundreds for each one of those guys at that size that come and go. I'm not sure about way smaller either if they're going to be honest about his true size. He looks terribly undersized but hoping he has the skill to overcome it. IT can't not happen for us to get outta the basement.

But yeah I am with you.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It’s relevant to how young he is compared to his peers. 

I wasn’t talking about his peers, I was talking about the fact that he’s not growing. But to that point, Kakko is 3 months older than him. The age difference is negligible. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wasn’t talking about his peers, I was talking about the fact that he’s not growing. But to that point, Kakko is 3 months older than him. The age difference is negligible. 

If you say so. I think Jack being the youngest player in the league is perfectly fair to bring up when it comes to his progression, size, etc. Yes, it’s only 3 months (4 in Dach’s case), but at that age I’m not sure it’s as negligible as you’re suggesting. But we can just agree to disagree. 

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If you say so. I think Jack being the youngest player in the league is perfectly fair to bring up when it comes to his progression, size, etc. Yes, it’s only 3 months (4 in Dach’s case), but at that age I’m not sure it’s as negligible as you’re suggesting. But we can just agree to disagree. 

It’s fine, I’m just saying, he’s not going to suddenly grow 3 inches and put on 20 pounds in the next 3 months. I haven’t grown since I was 13 so what do I know. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s fine, I’m just saying, he’s not going to suddenly grow 3 inches and put on 20 pounds in the next 3 months. I haven’t grown since I was 13 so what do I know. 

Yeah, it won’t be drastic. Nico’s wasn’t. It certainly helped though. If he can put on like 10 lbs and get a little stronger over the summer I’ll be happy with that. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, it won’t be drastic. Nico’s wasn’t. It certainly helped though. If he can put on like 10 lbs and get a little stronger over the summer I’ll be happy with that. 

Hell yeah. Said it multiple times, whatever Nico did in his first offseason is exactly what Jack should be doing with his. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Hell yeah. Said it multiple times, whatever Nico did in his first offseason is exactly what Jack should be doing with his. 

Why tho? According to many Nico is a bust so why do the same thing?

Let's have him do wtv McDavid and Crosby did instead. 😶

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Why tho? According to many Nico is a bust so why do the same thing?

Let's have him do wtv McDavid and Crosby did instead. 😶

He should do whatever they did from the time they started playing hockey. 

2AD52245-C2CE-400F-A348-AE768753D74A.jpeg