GDT: Devils at Ducks, 3/1/2020 8pm Eastern

mfitz804

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Nas was such a huge upgrade at HC. Can’t believe the guy that scratches Gusev and Bratt, and puts Hughes on the wing hasn’t fixed everything. Lol

People were actually joking about him getting the job before it happened. You can’t make this sh!t up.

Yup, I made that very joke. Art imitates life and vice versa I suppose lol. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Also, the fact that there’s so much negativity in a thread for a game we won 3-0 is pretty weird. 

If that’s not focusing on the negative, idk what is. 

Well yeah we won but it was with the goalie we don't like and the player we don't like scored 2 goals and 18 year old didn't score so it's basically a loss. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah obviously it's not as black and white. Most people here have calculated pessimist and optimist for the most part. It's also often driven by emotions in the moment.

True to a certain degree sure it depends on your POV.

This conversation probably should be in a different thread.

However, some people choose to go by what they've seen to date which are in simple terms facts.  Facts vs. what may happen in the future, out of those two the first is more of a realist.  Doesn't mean things won't get better in the future. FFS they better if this team is going to become competitive and more. Seriously challenging for a cup seems like a lifetime away and has for the better part of a decade outside of 2011-2012. I don't think we've turned any meaningful corners here.  Things are far from stable (interm GM, interm coach and an owner that hasn't won enough as of about 6-8 weeks ago).

If we didn't want things to get better I don't think 99% of the people wouldn't be here. I think the people that take solace or get enjoyment out of the losing are very few and far between.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

True to a certain degree sure it depends on your POV.

However, some people choose to go by what they've seen to date which are in simple terms facts.  Facts vs. what may happen in the future, out of those two the first is more of a realist.  Doesn't mean things won't get better in the future. FFS they better if this team is going to become competitive and more. Seriously challenging for a cup seems like a lifetime away and has for the better part of a decade outside of 2011-2012. I don't think we've turned any meaningful corners here.  Things are far from stable (interm GM, interm coach and an owner that hasn't won enough as of about 6-8 weeks ago).

If we didn't want things to get better I don't think 99% of the people wouldn't be here. I think the people that take solace or get enjoyment out of the losing are very few and far between.

Very much this.  I am beyond sick and tired of the Devils being a bunch of losers.  We are about the same point standings-wise as we were 5 years ago.  That's tires spinning in the mud.

We have an interim HC, an interim GM, owners who think we can win now, a $9M black hole on defense, a goaltending situation that relies heavily on a rookie, our top scorer won't hit 60 points for the 5th season in a row, a top overall pick that has turned out to be maybe the 3rd or 4th best pick in his draft class, another first overall pick that may not even hit 25 points in a season, are a not-so-sought after destination for top UFA's, and scouting department that has hardly improved since the Lou/Shero days.

But I guess I am just being way too pessimistic lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, to spend, you have to find guys willing to come here and I suspect that is a larger issue than we know. 

Unless, of course, you just give any RFA's and Rooney huge raises lol. 

1- I pray they're willing to spend

2- they better find quality players from the outside one way or the other or we will continue to to be closer to being a doormat vs. a team looking to make an impact in the actual playoffs.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW, the meltdown in here started with me just saying Hughes now has 1 point in his last 10 games.  Then the wagons started circling.

Why was that necessary though? What did you hope to achieve by pointing that out? I think we’re all well aware of his struggle right now. 

I wouldn’t mind so much if you (or Daniel) ever said anything positive about the kid. Instead of just regurgitating box scorers after every game. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t mind so much if you (or Daniel) ever said anything positive about the kid. Instead of just regurgitating box scorers after every game. 

When he wears his helmet, he looks like a human bobble head.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Very much this.  I am beyond sick and tired of the Devils being a bunch of losers.  We are about the same point standings-wise as we were 5 years ago.  That's tires spinning in the mud.

We have an interim HC, an interim GM, owners who think we can win now, a $9M black hole on defense, a goaltending situation that relies heavily on a rookie, our top scorer won't hit 60 points for the 5th season in a row, a top overall pick that has turned out to be maybe the 3rd or 4th best pick in his draft class, another first overall pick that may not even hit 25 points in a season, are a not-so-sought after destination for top UFA's, and scouting department that has hardly improved since the Lou/Shero days.

Again, all how you look at things. Makar, Pettersson, and Heiskanen are all absolute studs. Nico even being close to them is huge, but everyone gets so hung up on the the #1 thing. We could have taken Nolan Patrick. I thank my lucky stars for Nico lol

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Again, all how you look at things. Makar, Pettersson, and Heiskanen are all absolute studs. Nico even being close to them is huge, but everyone gets so hung up on the the #1 thing. We could have taken Nolan Patrick. I thank my lucky stars for Nico lol

Like I’ve said a number of times, picking first doesn’t guarantee you the best player. It guarantees you first choice of the guy you think will be the best player. That’s all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Well again that's your decision to look at it from the ONE way where it can be negative. To look at it point standing-wise. To ignore how much better we are in term of raw young talent, prospects and all is again, a decision to be pessimistic instead of looking at the bright side. Just the fact that we have a young super talented core is MILES ahead better than 5 years ago, i mean come on.

I know i bring this up often but it's cause it's so damn important to understand the context and improvement. That was our team 5 years ago. Our top prospect was Reid Boucher. Who 5 years later is STILL not in the NHL. That team had NO future. It was a steady downhill and it couldnt go anywhere else than the bottom.

It's clear that MANY of our guys have their best days ahead of them, not behind.

I mean i don't even know what to say to someone saying we didn't improve the team or at least set it up so it could improve. 

We had 3 prospects winning the gold medals. We had guys playing in the world juniors, we have guys like Smith who seriously look like he could be something. 2-3 of our prospects stepped right in the NHL from the draft. Back then we barely had prospects in the WJ anymore. Our scouting department now is WAY better than Conte

368710226_ScreenShot2020-03-02at11_06_20PM.thumb.png.d5bed4ffd085c80f9dd5371d5a3ed806.png

Edited by SterioDesign

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Our top prospect was Reid Boucher. Who 5 years later is STILL not in the NHL.

I still don’t get it. Better than PPG on Vancouver’s AHL team, 63 points in 49 games this year, why doesn’t he get a shot? 

Oh yeah, ‘cause he can’t do it at the NHL level. Fvck Reid Boucher. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I still don’t get it. Better than PPG on Vancouver’s AHL team, 63 points in 49 games this year, why doesn’t he get a shot? 

Oh yeah, ‘cause he can’t do it at the NHL level. Fvck Reid Boucher. 

Well he does what he can. fvck Conte for sucking for so long and stripping our prospect pool to nothing

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well again that's your decision to look at it from the ONE way where it can be negative. To look at it point standing-wise. To ignore how much better we are in term of raw young talent, prospects and all is again, a decision to be pessimistic instead of looking at the bright side. Just the fact that we have a young super talented core is MILES ahead better than 5 years ago, i mean come on.

I know i bring this up often but it's cause it's so damn important to understand the context and improvement. That was our team 5 years ago. Our top prospect was Reid Boucher. Who 5 years later is STILL not in the NHL. That team had NO future. It was a steady downhill and it couldnt go anywhere else than the bottom.

It's clear that MANY of our guys have their best days ahead of them, not behind.

I mean i don't even know what to say to someone saying we didn't improve the team or at least set it up so it could improve. 

We had 3 prospects winning the gold medals. We had guys playing in the world juniors, we have guys like Smith who seriously look like he could be something. 2-3 of our prospects stepped right in the NHL from the draft. Back then we barely had prospects in the WJ anymore. Our scouting department now is WAY better than Conte

368710226_ScreenShot2020-03-02at11_06_20PM.thumb.png.d5bed4ffd085c80f9dd5371d5a3ed806.png

I love that team. 

The only reason for this is because that was the year I finally got to see the Devils play live in Newark. 

It was unfortunate that the peak of my financial stability coincided with an absolute low in the quality of the Devil's roster. 

I refuse to past judgment on basically any of our prospects until this team has a decent coach. 

I want to see more from Nico and I want to see much , much more from Jack, but these guys are really not the problem with this team. 

Some of the other guys who have been mentioned as a comparison like Pettersson have far more talent around them than Nico does. Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat and now Tofoli as well make Petterssons job much easier. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Better question, do you think he has a 50 point season if he was centering an MVP form Taylor Hall?

of course he does - by osmosis, if you're playing the majority of your games with a 90 point guy while getting substantial PP time, you're getting 50 points.

but hall having the season he did had a lot to do with nico also.

so i'm not sure hall has his season with hughes as his center either.

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I refuse to past judgment on basically any of our prospects until this team has a decent coach. 

I want to see more from Nico and I want to see much , much more from Jack, but these guys are really not the problem with this team. 

Some of the other guys who have been mentioned as a comparison like Pettersson have far more talent around them than Nico does. Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat and now Tofoli as well make Petterssons job much easier. 

The bolded...this is more and more of the way that I'm leaning.  I definitely made the mistake of thinking Hynes was better than he really was due to A) lack of talent to work with initially, and 2) his team making the playoffs in 2017-18.  But both he and Nas seem like they're pretty worthless as HCs.  That DBA look that Hynes had permanently plastered onto his face was beyond infuriating after a while.

My only beef with Nico to date is that the last two seasons have been a little too similar...looking like he's ready to take a big step forward, gets banged up, and then the numbers fall off.  But I'm still a big believer in him.  And still would love for him to wear the C next year.  And you are right, doesn't have as much around him ATM.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Why was that necessary though? What did you hope to achieve by pointing that out? I think we’re all well aware of his struggle right now. 

People pointed out all the time how long it was that Schneider didn't get a win.

I am all about equal opportunity when it comes to criticizing our players.  Hughes doesn't and shouldn't be treated any differently.

Edited by DevsMan84

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So we should be looking at it that we didn't get a kid who is a disaster simply because he can't stay healthy rather than guys who are looking to be better players than Nico.

You really are a glass half-full kind of guy.

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

There you go again with the "look at our 2015 lineup!" excuse.  You use it to bash Lou while at the same time propping up Shero (who is the anti-Lou savior you have dreamed of).

Frankly, I don't care how great our prospects look now as we don't know how they will pan out.  All I know is that we will miss the playoffs again for the 4th time out of 5 seasons since that 2014-15 lineup with the lone exception literally happening because of a hart-trophy season from one player and the best 40-game stretch of his career from another player.

We have been fed the maybe next year line from this team since Shero and now Fitz took over.  At some point I would like to believe that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

There you go again with the "look at our 2015 lineup!" excuse.  You use it to bash Lou while at the same time propping up Shero (who is the anti-Lou savior you have dreamed of).

Frankly, I don't care how great our prospects look now as we don't know how they will pan out.  All I know is that we will miss the playoffs again for the 4th time out of 5 seasons since that 2014-15 lineup with the lone exception literally happening because of a hart-trophy season from one player and the best 40-game stretch of his career from another player.

We have been fed the maybe next year line from this team since Shero and now Fitz took over.  At some point I would like to believe that.

I swear we spend more time talking about the 2015 roster now than we did in 2015. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2