The Weird 2020 Off-Season Thread

jagknife

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

What if they went with a "jersey shore" theme and used blue/teal/yellow or something. Just something different for an alternate rather than the same thing again. 

Has 2020 not been bad enough? Why would you want to put this horror into the world? Lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I think those Jerseys updated could be killlllller. Like really go retro - with brown gloves and all. 

image.png.26bb272e0d86b371ff6790644a66ef75.png

Like that in Red and Black could be fun.

It's not about honoring either, are we really honoring the 80s Devils at this point anymore? I feel like it's only because we're still living in Stockholm Syndrom from Lou never doing anything interesting marketing wise. Like - if you're going to go for a retro - commit to it. The Green at this point just seems a cop out.

The 80/90s green, as much as I dislike the green is still our team's history. The random minor league team from 91 years ago who went 14-26 in their one and only season and who probably doesn't have a single person alive today who saw a game and nobody cares about doesn't make any sense for the team to do besides that they played 40 games in Newark. 

Adidas came up with this "reverse retro" idea, the jersey is a color reverse of our retro jersey. That was the whole point of this gimmick besides some teams not really following it like the Rangers and Islanders. It wasn't supposed to be design a random retro jersey. 

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Hey Alexa, why don't we let fans decide what colors to make a jersey?

"Thank you for asking MB3. We don't do that, because someone suggested a blue/teal/yellow jersey for the New Jersey Devils, and wasn't joking around." 

Thanks Alexa. 

I mean its on par with the people trying to say this is now our weed jersey. I really REALLY hate some of our fan base....

It's not terrible, but it looks busy and disproportionate with the crest sitting so low and all of the striping (I always found that annoying about the Christmas Tree red jerseys in the past).  It's very blah to me.  I have the same opinion about most of the jerseys released today.  

Some of the other teams jerseys are nice (Kings, Ottawa), some look almost the same as before to me (NYI), but a lot of these are just hideous (Dallas, Arizona, Anaheim, Winnipeg, etc.).  If Detroit didn't have a great logo, I would include them in the hideous category too.  At least I can say we are somewhere in the middle and they didn't do something stupid like trying to change the crest.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:57 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Yuck, Quebec logos on the bottom of the Colorado jerseys and most likely as their center logo. I really hope we never do any garbage like this with Scouts or Rockies nonsense...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlGc5dHOOz/?igshid=1jgx4zqc03bok

spacer.png

better than the drawing.  Can't say I hate it as much. The depth of the colors help imo. The logos aren't great but it captures their history - I guess. Really hated whatever they were guessing on the sleeves.
Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

Oh man - A Jersey SHore theme?

But I see your larger point which is like - all of these jerseys are the same variation of the Christmas tree. Give me something different altogether. Keep the logo fine, but there are other things you can do with it. We always seem to play it safe. OTOH - Detroit's look terrible and the Rangers Liberty they over thought the simplification there.

I just want something not red black green and white. NJ has a lot going on, I'm just throwing the shore out there as an idea for a different set of colors. I'm not a designer and don't claim to be, but I am a guy with money and reverse retros aren't getting me to spend. Give me a real fvcking alternate already...and make it an alternate by design. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

The 80/90s green, as much as I dislike the green is still our team's history. The random minor league team from 91 years ago who went 14-26 in their one and only season and who probably doesn't have a single person alive today who saw a game and nobody cares about doesn't make any sense for the team to do besides that they played 40 games in Newark. 

Adidas came up with this "reverse retro" idea, the jersey is a color reverse of our retro jersey. That was the whole point of this gimmick besides some teams not really following it like the Rangers and Islanders. It wasn't supposed to be design a random retro jersey. 

Yep.  Not sure why some teams were allowed to do whatever the hell they wanted.  Especially since so many teams did adhere to the "rules" (with wildly varying results).

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I said in another forum, it looks like its for expectant mothers so the logo is on the baby bump. 

Sad but a perfect description.  I'm hoping it's changed/fixed before they make their on-ice debut.  

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The actual on-ice jerseys look better than those, it’s still too low but not as bad. For comparison: 

Yeah I pointed out that the Heritage crest was a little too low (doesn't look as bad with an "A" or a "C"), but was within tolerable range.  The location on the RR is just ridiculous.  

What's funny is that is crest is actually centered if your reference points are the neckline and the bottom hem of the jersey.  But they're flat-out the wrong reference points to use.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I pointed out that the Heritage crest was a little too low (doesn't look as bad with an "A" or a "C"), but was within tolerable range.  The location on the RR is just ridiculous.  

What's funny is that is crest is actually centered if your reference points are the neckline and the bottom hem of the jersey.  But they're flat-out the wrong reference points to use.  

The RR in that picture is likely one of the Made In Indonesia jerseys. Those all have the crest too low, even on our regular jerseys. A lot of guys walking around the Rock with a crest on their gut. But you're right, even looking at the pictures of those, the RR is still lower. 

It's supposed to be on your chest. Not hard to figure out. 

Heritage.jpg

Oh and the Rangers RR sucks.  Partly because it's a Ranger jersey.  And heavily because it's the end result is just...off.  Has the same issue that the Red Wings jersey does...looks more like a practice jersey, with the Statue of Liberty crest thrown on it.  

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Other than the crest, I have no complaints. It’s as sharp a third jersey as I could ask for. And I’m critical as fvck. 

I still with MB3 came up with the best design, a while back.  That was friggin' beautiful.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The actual on-ice jerseys look better than those, it’s still too low but not as bad. For comparison:

48120607253_bfb093a78c_b.jpg

8FCEDFD3-CE9F-4D3D-AB8B-2AD5D5678475.jpeg

damn when you see them side by side the amount of excessive striping on the sleeves and especially at the bottom is another miss for me along with the crest needing to be raised. The white one is just so much cleaner and classier in every way in my eyes. 

• Like 1

@titans04 that was my issue with the old red and green too.  The top white border of the sleeve stripes almost looks like a piece of tape...and it feels like a lot of striping.  As far as the pre-red and black era goes, I always liked the whites more than the reds.  I would actually welcome a white, red, and black with the Heritage layout.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh and the Rangers RR sucks.  Partly because it's a Ranger jersey.  And heavily because it's the end result is just...off.  Has the same issue that the Red Wings jersey does...looks more like a practice jersey, with the Statue of Liberty crest thrown on it.  

So then it looks like one of our normal game jerseys, except its made for a bunch of jabroni's to wear. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Haha 1