GDT: Devils @ Rags 7:00 PM MSG, MSG+

MadDog2020

25 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

It's good to see Ruff trusting Maltsev & Sharangovich out there at the end. And I know sh!tstork is supposed to be the second coming of Hank but I wouldn't swap him, or any other goalie, for Blackwood right now.

I’m so happy that sh!stork is a thing, you have no idea. 

4CD81344-F870-4B50-B93A-75745F98BB09.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Merkley is "the merk" 

Quinn says the Rangers are better than last year, but Chico says they aren't 

Rangers should be happy fans aren't in the building because they'd be getting booed. 

Rags players eyes looked glossed over and completely confused when Quinn called a time out because they're about to lose to a team that hasn't played in two weeks 

Wasn't impressed with palms.

Another key to tonight's win was winning the majority of faceoffs, especially McLeod.  For us, that's a real plus.  Also, we outworked them when it counted.  The Rags, most of them seemed to lack interest. And with that payroll!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MB3 said:

When you look at this lineup, top-to-bottom, who are you taking out for Nico and Zajac? 

Because right now I'm moving Zacha up to a top-6 winger spot, Zajac back to 3c, and telling Kyle Palmieri to sit his ass down. Kuok has played too well to bench. Merkley has played too well to bench.

Kyle Palmieri can not play a bottom-six role, and he does not deserve a top-6 role. @Colorado Rockies 1976, my mans. Tell me I'm wrong.

Mango-Hughes-Bratt
Shara-Hischier-Zacha
Kuokkonen-Zajac-Merkley
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

We're going to be one fvcking hell of a hockey team in a few years. 

Was rooting for Zacha to get the hatty tonight (this was before I realized that his “second” goal was credited to Butcher...I didn’t start watching until well after 8:00, and did a lot of fast-forwarding through stoppages and the intermissions).  But you know we’ve seen these teases from him before.  Still don’t see him as a Top 6 guy...but it’s always nice to see him put up points.

Re:  Palms, if he becomes trade bait, he’s not going to bring back much as a healthy scratch.  And he does have chemistry with Nico, who should be back soon.  But I won’t go so far to say that this can’t ever be debated down the line...especially if other guys are simply making it impossible to take them out.

Couldn’t be more impressed with how the team played tonight...considering how long it had been since they last played (and the obvious circumstances that led to the layoff), just really happy for all of them.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

The Rangers are worse than last year, but it doesn't matter. They should be all about getting Kakko and LaFreniere 16 minutes a night.

They each got 16+ tonight.  No SOG for Lafreniere.  At least Kakko got five.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was rooting for Zacha to get the hatty tonight (this was before I realized that his “second” goal was credited to Butcher...I didn’t start watching until well after 8:00, and did a lot of fast-forwarding through stoppages and the intermissions).  But you know we’ve seen these teases from him before.  Still don’t see him as a Top 6 guy...but it’s always nice to see him put up points.

Re:  Palms, if he becomes trade bait, he’s not going to bring back much as a healthy scratch.  And he does have chemistry with Nico, who should be back soon.  But I won’t go so far to say that this can’t ever be debated down the line...especially if other guys are simply making it impossible to take them out.

Couldn’t be more impressed with how the team played tonight...considering how long it had been since they last played (and the obvious circumstances that led to the layoff), just really happy for all of them.  

I'm OK with the checking center role for Zacha. It would be nice if he emerged as more of a scorer but I don't expect it.

Palmieri has to get lucky soon, no?

Severson has become a dependable player, something I didn't think I would see a couple years ago. He had a good game tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'm OK with the checking center role for Zacha. It would be nice if he emerged as more of a scorer but I don't expect it.

Palmieri has to get lucky soon, no?

Severson has become a dependable player, something I didn't think I would see a couple years ago. He had a good game tonight. 

There was one nice opportunity that Palms had that’s been as good as any he’s had this year.  Overall he was OK tonight.  Obviously I’m rooting hard for him...been a tough season for him to date.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I would think so too, but I don’t want the 4th line broken up and Zajac needs a place to play also. 

Of course. I agree. There are ways to juggle the lineup to get both Zajac and Zacha minutes, but that gets complicated when Nico returns. Can Zacha play on the wing? I could also see Zacha traded, that's always a possibility.

5 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I've watched a few Ranger games, and Lafreniere is often invisible. We saw it with Hughes last year.

Yeah posted about that elsewhere...it’s not like he’s looked overwhelmed necessarily...he’s just kinda there.

Even though Hughes had a tough rookie year, there were signs, and he had his share of rotten luck.  I have yet to see anything from Lafreniere that has me thinking “Only a matter of time.”  Doesn’t mean I think that he’s a bust...simply too early for that, and IIRC he was the consensus #1 pick.  Scouts who saw him a hell of a lot more than I did obviously saw something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Of course. I agree. There are ways to juggle the lineup to get both Zajac and Zacha minutes, but that gets complicated when Nico returns. Can Zacha play on the wing? I could also see Zacha traded, that's always a possibility.

We do have a little bit of a backup at the center position. A trade seems like the best option. 

great effort, great result.  Surprised they didn't fade as the game went on but glad they didn't.  Rags are in big trouble across the board this season.  Still think they have a decent bunch of parts with some bad contracts mixed in.  But a good night for us and tht's all that matters.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah posted about that elsewhere...it’s not like he’s looked overwhelmed necessarily...he’s just kinda there.

Even though Hughes had a tough rookie year, there were signs, and he had his share of rotten luck.  I have yet to see anything from Lafreniere that has me thinking “Only a matter of time.”  Doesn’t mean I think that he’s a bust...simply too early for that, and IIRC he was the consensus #1 pick.  Scouts who saw him a hell of a lot more than I did obviously saw something.

It has to be gnawing at the Ranger fan a little, given the team's history of failing to draft star players. The ghosts of Hugh Jessiman and Pavel Brendl.

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

great effort, great result.  Surprised they didn't fade as the game went on but glad they didn't.  Rags are in big trouble across the board this season.  Still think they have a decent bunch of parts with some bad contracts mixed in.  But a good night for us and tht's all that matters.

Quinn (and players like Kreider agreed) felt that the Rangers didn’t play nearly hard enough...and said that it would be addressed before, during, and after practice.  Heh heh.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Well, they’re running out of center positions to give out then Jerry. Hughes/Nico are 1 and 2, and you really can’t break up that Wood-McLeod-Bastian line. So where do you stick Zajac, who’s the most prototypical 3rd line center in the league? 

Why should we wait for Palmieri to “get lucky”? He’s contributing nothing on offense, less than nothing on defense. He’s absolute garbage, and if you can get a 4th for him from some desperate team who thinks it’s still 2019 you’re robbing them blind. 

Hockey is a meritocracy. 

It'll be a great day when we have enough forward depth to bench Kyle Palmieri. I'm OK with trading him but until that happens, I wouldn't scratch him. I don't think he's toast, but I could be wrong.

When Nico and Zajac return, Zacha has to move to a wing. That's the way I see it.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol oh for fvcks sake I just caught up on the thread. 

NJDevs when Zacha goes scoreless three games in a row: “CUT THIS LOSER.”

NJDevs when Zacha starts to develop into a solid player as a 23 year old on a great contract: “omg we should trade him.”

No, the New Jersey Devils should not consider trading their 23 year old best penalty killer who’s finally turning into a legitimately good NHLer. Travis Zajac is 36 years old and on an expiring deal, and Pavel Zacha is signed for another two seasons at a small cap hit, and will be a 26-year old RFA at the end of it. He fits with the age of the core and he’s played wing in the past. 

Agree that Zacha could be a solid 3C here (with occasional Top 6 time, if needed)...that’s all I ask of him at this point.  And as much as I like Travis, he’s not getting any younger...and it’s really hard to see where he’ll fit in after this season.  Hope McLeod can continue to build off what he’s doing this year too.