The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

keep Murray (given)

As a stopgap, Yandle on a 1-2 year deal

Kick the tires on Savard from Tampa, Martinez if Vegas doesn’t lock him up, and Ian Cole from Minnesota

You can kick the tires on a Martinez, but he’s gonna wanna play for a Cup contender, and should be in demand. Savard would be nice; he’s nothing flashy, generally a solid reliable stay at home guy. But he’s a guy who will also probably wanna play for a contender if given the choice. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You can kick the tires on a Martinez, but he’s gonna wanna play for a Cup contender, and should be in demand. Savard would be nice; he’s nothing flashy, generally a solid reliable stay at home guy. But he’s a guy who will also probably wanna play for a contender if given the choice. 

Oh not saying any would willingly come here if there are better options, but the time for “oh they don’t fit our timeline” has to be over if we want to start transitioning from rebuild/bottom feeder to possible bubble team. We have to start getting back in the win column more than not and any vets with even multi-round playoff success/appearances should be on the radar

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I feel like that’s exactly what Carolina needs to offer for us to swoop in and offer him more. 

Yes, they can offer the 8th year, but if we are offering $1.5m more per year, that more than makes up the dollar difference of the extra year. 

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know he has some holes in his game but 8 million seems way too reasonable for us to land him as a UFA, no?   

edit: I see it was too good to be true 

He was signed? Source?

Edited by mfitz804

If im Hamilton i'd really wonder what to do myself...

The pros of staying in Carolina is that he knows he's a good fit there. He knows Slavin is a great partner for him which enables him to be more effective. He knows the team already, wouldnt have to move and all. They are a playoffs team and still pretty young, should have a few years left at a chance for the cup

The cons is that there seem to be red flags when it comes to the owners willingness to pay at times. Multiple times he dropped young guys that would cost too much in the future. He JUST did it again with Bean and their goalie. Also Dougie's comments about Tampa after they lost were likely a jab at the league or tampa. But maybe there was a bit of that towards his own management for not being willing to spend as much. Im obviously just guessing here.

The pros of NJ is mostly more money, and potentially a longer future. We're certainly trending up. And Carolina should trend down without him and god knows who would be in net.

The cons would be joining a team currently not in the playoffs at the moment but with a few moves this summer and some luck i don't think it's impossible.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The pros of NJ is mostly more money, and potentially a longer future. We're certainly trending up. And Carolina should trend down without him and god knows who would be in net.

I feel like if I’m him, I would be wondering what the heck they were thinking with that goalie trade, and whether they have even an inkling of a direction they are moving in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I feel like if I’m him, I would be wondering what the heck they were thinking with that goalie trade, and whether they have even an inkling of a direction they are moving in. 

the real question is, what do you think Coleman should do?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The cons would be joining a team currently not in the playoffs at the moment but with a few moves this summer and some luck i don't think it's impossible.

I’m calling it now, if they add Hamilton, and if the most important guy’s stay healthy (Jack, Nico, Mac, Ty, Hamilton) they’re a playoff team. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nicomo said:

I’m calling it now, if they add Hamilton, and if the most important guy’s stay healthy (Jack, Nico, Mac, Ty, Hamilton) they’re a playoff team. 

I mean, it would seem that is correct. And, If we could add a solid 3C (Coleman) and maybe a lesser but still good D-man as a complement to Hamilton, even the better.