official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

both those didn't work. i think you need to upload em to youtube. 

oh really. i see them fine on my end. humm looks like Mfitz was able to see them too? I'll just post the dropbox link along the videos

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You will be 2.33 pies short using Home Alone math lol. Although I’m not sure the garlic knots don’t affect the formula, the McCallister family didn’t order any. 

Enjoy the party! The sleepover is extremely brave, we have yet to do that with more than one friend at a time.  

Speaking of Home Alone: https://screenrant.com/home-alone-reboot-release-date-november-2021/ I mean, fvck right off with this sh!t. First of all- it worked in 1990 because there were no cell phones; not so much now. This is also the type of bullsh!t I’m talking about when I talk about a lack of original ideas in Hollywood. Just reboot old sh!t that was awesome, do a horrible job at it, ca$h in on people’s nostalgia. Must be tough being being a content creator these days with all the originality and great ideas out there. 🙄

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Speaking of Home Alone: https://screenrant.com/home-alone-reboot-release-date-november-2021/ I mean, fvck right off with this sh!t. 

Yeahh, i can see argument to remake SOME older movies that may need it now to get to its audience BUT the original home alone still holds up perfectly to this day. Why they'd want to remake it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm even surprised they didn't go with their typical gender or race swap with this one, especially since it's Disney. 

That kid was hilarious in Jojo Rabbit though. But i just can't imagine this movie having any sort of success

Actually i just received the vintage Home Alone board game i ordered from Ebay today lol I got all 3 Home Alone board games now

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeahh, i can see argument to remake SOME older movies that may need it now to get to its audience BUT the original home alone still holds up perfectly to this day. Why they'd want to remake it makes absolutely no sense.

This will probably inspire other Christmas reboots too now. Next year, we’ll hear that they’re rebooting A Christmas Story with fvcking Seth Myers and Kate McKinnon as the parents, and some child YouTube stars as Ralphie and and Randy; except it takes place in the present day, and Ralphie wants a Nintendo Switch from Santa instead of a Red Ryder. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This will probably inspire other Christmas reboots too now. Next year, we’ll hear that they’re rebooting A Christmas Story with fvcking Seth Myers and Kate McKinnon as the parents, and some child YouTube stars as Ralphie and and Randy; except it takes place in the present day, and Ralphie wants a Nintendo Switch from Santa instead of a Red Ryder. 

oh whaaaat.

I just read that this is actually a sequel.. and that Macaulay Culkin is playing Kevin for a cameo. Devin Ratray, who played Buzz will also be in it

Edited by SterioDesign

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh whaaaat.

I just read that this is actually a sequel.. and that Macaulay Culkin is playing Kevin for a cameo. Devin Ratray, who played Buzz will also be in it

Somewhere I read that there was an online movement to re-shoot the whole thing with Macaulay Culkin as an adult, let him play Kevin, and just don’t explain at all why he’s a 40-year-old man. I think I would’ve watch that movie.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Somewhere I read that there was an online movement to re-shoot the whole thing with Macaulay Culkin as an adult, let him play Kevin, and just don’t explain at all why he’s a 40-year-old man. I think I would’ve watch that movie.

Home Stallone is what we really need

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That would be better than this lol 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Speaking of Home Alone: https://screenrant.com/home-alone-reboot-release-date-november-2021/ I mean, fvck right off with this sh!t. First of all- it worked in 1990 because there were no cell phones; not so much now. This is also the type of bullsh!t I’m talking about when I talk about a lack of original ideas in Hollywood. Just reboot old sh!t that was awesome, do a horrible job at it, ca$h in on people’s nostalgia. Must be tough being being a content creator these days with all the originality and great ideas out there. 🙄

saw that you edited after i replied so i'll reply again.

The problem is not Hollywood is lacking original ideas. It's that people (us) are not showing up for those movies when they do make them. Studios will green light and do things that brings in money and that people want to see.

Go through the last... decade box office. You'll see that the top of the list is like 99% all remakes, reboots, sequels etc etc. Very rarely there's original stuff on there. Then look at the bottom of the box offices (movies that didn't make money) it's 99% all original stories.

Now, im NOT saying that original movies are bad and that remakes, sequels etc etc are better. But the numbers shows that this is what it takes for people now to get out of their ass and show up at the movie theatre. It's very unfortunate. And at times studios will make a big original movie, then people don't show up and it fails so they go "SEE! IT DOESN'T WORK!".

So we can whine that there's nothing original coming out, but if we don't show up when it does, that's on all of us too. If those movies would do really well, studios would make more of these, that,s just how it always worked. And some do well... but in most years at the box office... you gotta take the top 10 original movies grossing, combine it... and it mayyyyyy match the grossing of #1 movie of that year. Mayyyybe..

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

saw that you edited after i replied so i'll reply again.

The problem is not Hollywood is lacking original ideas. It's that people (us) are not showing up for those movies when they do make them. Studios will green light and do things that brings in money and that people want to see.

Go through the last... decade box office. You'll see that the top of the list is like 99% all remakes, reboots, sequels etc etc. Very rarely there's original stuff on there. Then look at the bottom of the box offices (movies that didn't make money) it's 99% all original stories.

Now, im NOT saying that original movies are bad and that remakes, sequels etc etc are better. But the numbers shows that this is what it takes for people now to get out of their ass and show up at the movie theatre. It's very unfortunate. And at times studios will make a big original movie, then people don't show up and it fails so they go "SEE! IT DOESN'T WORK!".

So we can whine that there's nothing original coming out, but if we don't show up when it does, that's on all of us too. If those movies would do really well, studios would make more of these, that,s just how it always worked. And some do well... but in most years at the box office... you gotta take the top 10 original movies grossing, combine it... and it mayyyyyy match the grossing of #1 movie of that year. Mayyyybe..

Good points all around. It just sucks to see movies and the experience of going to the movies turn in that direction. I’m someone who values and appreciates originality, so the sequels and reboots and Marvel movies are tiresome at this point lol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good points all around. It just sucks to see movies and the experience of going to the movies turn in that direction. I’m someone who values and appreciates originality, so the sequels and reboots and Marvel movies are tiresome at this point lol. 

Well i'm actually not a superhero movie/comics guy. I never read the comics or cared about those characters. But i'm a fan of cinema and i gotta be honest that what Marvel did with that universe is very very very very impressive from a movie making standpoint.

Through cinema history, most franchises were generally never able to string 2-3 movies in a row without falling off a cliff. Marvel now released what? 20+ movies now? And they've all been really consistent from decent to really good IMO. Mostly kept all their original actors without having to recast constantly, it's pushing the main story / characters along, through movies and tv shows. The overall story and universe is still making sense and i actually cared about many of those characters that i original couldn't care less about. It's just one gigantic story really.

More often than not it's just really annoying when you just don't connect with what's out there and feel left out. I feel the same way with the Oscars, most movie nominations / winners are the same typical drama, character driven stuff that i don't really care about. Very easy to spot an oscar bait movie. And if you go down the list of winners, so many are movies that nobody gives a sh!t about now.

And also when you just don't connect / care about something. You'll only see the surface. While people who care will see all the nuances. Rap or hip-hop to me sounds all the same, but i know that it's cause i just don't care so it feels like that. I know someone who loves hip hop would listen to my favourite bands and say it's all the same too lol 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And also when you just don't connect / care about something. You'll only see the surface. While people who care will see all the nuances. Rap or hip-hop to me sounds all the same, but i know that it's cause i just don't care so it feels like that. I know someone who loves hip hop would listen to my favourite bands and say it's all the same too lol 

That’s very true. For example, I love The Sopranos and Breaking Bad- they are my two favorite shows of all time. I know all the little nuances and details of both shows because I love them both so much. Same with Better Call Saul, because I love that show too. But with something like the MCU- which I don’t care about- I really couldn’t care less to notice or pay attention to any of that stuff. 

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s very true. For example, I love The Sopranos and Breaking Bad- they are my two favorite shows of all time. I know all the little nuances and details of both shows because I love them both so much. Same with Better Call Saul, because I love that show too. But with something like the MCU- which I don’t care about- I really couldn’t care less to notice or pay attention to any of that stuff. 

Yeah cause when you really look into it... any movies is generally the same thing. Characters are going through something, there's a theme or themes, some characters have arcs, and there's some conclusion at the end haha obviously there's some more unique and creative things but it doesn't always mean that its better either.

So many movies are all thrown in the same boat cause they fit the same box. Like.. horror movies, buddy/buddy cop/superhero, etc etc well again, anything. But that's just the setting really. I know there's lists out there breaking down what each MCU movie is really about beyond just superhero movies and its kind of eye opening. Cause many of those themes are precisely what most oscar bait movies are, except they are in a movie focused on performances and tone, dramatic etc etc but at the end of the day its saying the same thing, just differently

Spoiler
  1. Iron Man

• responsibility (self)

• living with yourself

1. The Incredible Hulk

• Anti-violence

• Living with yourself

1. Iron Man 2

• Corporate Responsibility

• Egoism (what the God bleeds stuff is really about)

1. Captain America: The First Avenger

• Better Man => Better Soldier

• Sacrifice => Better Man

• Anti-bullying

1. Thor

• Better Person

• Anti-ego

• Basing your self-respect on your father's respect is problematic

1. Avengers

• Teamwork

• Ant-Ego

• Sacrifice

• Responsibility (govt.)

• Playing God (both Loki and Phase Two)

1. Iron Man 3

• Trauma/Imperfect Hero (separate?)

• Anti-Ego

• Consequences of Actions

1. Thor: The Dark World

• Right to Exist (Malekith's whole thing about "this universe was not meant to exist"?)

• Sons who love their mothers (?)

• Family

1. Captain America: The Winter Solider

• Govt. Responsibility

• Transparency is oversight

• Secrets are bad

• Destroy the Poisoned Well (i.e. SHIELD)

• Value of Trust

• Friendship is Valuable

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

• Criminals aren't necessarily bad people

• Revenge is Harmful

• Great Power should be with the Responsible

1. Avengers: Age of Ultron

• Being flawed =/=> being bad (grace in their failings)

• Good intentions =/=> Good Outcomes

• People Don't Know What's Best (but gods might!?)

• Playing God

• Anti-Ego?

1. Ant-Man

• Responsibility

• Fathers

• Scientists

• Govt.

• Industry

• Criminals aren't necessarily bad people

1. Captain America: Civil War

• Actions have consequences

• Accountability is in tension with doing the right thing

• Relationship of Power and Responsibility

• Personal Relationships Matter

1. Doctor Strange

• Anti-Ego

• Decisions have consequences

1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2

• Family (is who you ride with)

• Doing right redeems

• Family hurts (is your past?)

1. Spider-man: Homecoming

• Respect is earnt

• The man maketh the hero

• Honour responsibilities -- can't do it all

• Friends matter

1. Thor: Ragnarok

• Imperialism is bad

• The man maketh the hero

• The crown is a duty (burden?)

• The world is built on imperialism

1. Black Panther

• The world's built on imperialism

• With great power comes great responsibility (on a national level)

• Actions have Consequences

• Colonialism is bad

• Kings make decisions

1. Avengers: Infinity War

• Even abusers can be family (!? plz explain Gamora's tears don't say this)

• Sacrifice: cost of actions?

• Destiny is ego

• The will to act is valuable

• Set aside personal trauma for better outcomes

• Heroes sacrifice themselves, not others

1. Ant-Man and the Wasp\

• Family is Important

• Being desperate doesn't mean you're bad (evil)

• People who have positive dynamics with other people have positive relationships and vice versa (i.e. Hank Pym is a jerk)

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Just some humble bragging, she did her solo tonight and killed it. 

That’s cool and all but more importantly, where’s our pizza report?

All kidding aside that’s awesome she crushed it. I can’t even do karaoke and here’s your kiddo crushing solos in a play. Good for her!

as for my pizza report: I took down easily 2/3s to 3/4s of a large pizza last night. I’d say Buzz at a minimum would hammer home the same. Still definitely too much pizza for that family but only by like 1 or 2 pies.

also, you know you’ve been desensitized by the weather when the threat of back to back tropical storms doesn’t even make you nervous, outside of getting angry I’m going to have to rework my student’s schedules including two I already got leave approved for 🤦🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

That’s cool and all but more importantly, where’s our pizza report?

All kidding aside that’s awesome she crushed it. I can’t even do karaoke and here’s your kiddo crushing solos in a play. Good for her!

as for my pizza report: I took down easily 2/3s to 3/4s of a large pizza last night. I’d say Buzz at a minimum would hammer home the same. Still definitely too much pizza for that family but only by like 1 or 2 pies.

also, you know you’ve been desensitized by the weather when the threat of back to back tropical storms doesn’t even make you nervous, outside of getting angry I’m going to have to rework my student’s schedules including two I already got leave approved for 🤦🏼‍♂️

I wound up not having enough time to stop for pizza. So I at the frozen Red Baron that I keep in the freezer for emergencies. 

Neither my wife or I have ever sung. I was a musician as a kid, but kind of let that slip away as an adult. My daughter has been performing since she was 4, when she walked out on stage alone and sang “Where Are You Christmas?” from the Grinch. No fear. 

This part last night required her to belt out a somewhat difficult song while perched on top of someone’s shoulders. No problem, she did it. Very proud. 

First time with this theater group (after about a year and a half) that she got any kind of featured role, since moving from the little kids group to the 13-18 group. Every other kid that had any kind of solo part was at least 2 years older and attends a performing arts high school in Manhattan, so I’m pretty proud of her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Marvel, I enjoyed the first episode of What If. Besides the faces when speaking at times the animation was really great, especially for all the actions scenes. I saw people complaining that it's too fast paced but these are supposed to be more of a short story with maybe something bigger at the end so I thought the pacing was fine. Not everything needs to be long and drawn out. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

58 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Speaking of Marvel, I enjoyed the first episode of What If. Besides the faces when speaking at times the animation was really great, especially for all the actions scenes. I saw people complaining that it's too fast paced but these are supposed to be more of a short story with maybe something bigger at the end so I thought the pacing was fine. Not everything needs to be long and drawn out. 

Agreed, I enjoyed it as well. I read quite a few “What If” comics as a kid so I thought it was cool that they based a series on that concept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I’m playing golf at a Streamsong at the end of the month. So, so hyped 

What's a Streamsong?  

Also, have you heard of PopStroke?  I don't think there's too many around, yet, but there's one being built 5-10 minutes from me in the next few months and I'm pretty psyched about that.  

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

just meant to write “streamsong” not “a streamsong”, but it’s a collection of courses in central florida that are routinely mentioned in the top-50 US courses and fringe top-100 in the world. look up pictures real quick.... it doesn’t even look real. 

Wow, that looks awesome.  I've never heard of it, and it's not far from me at all...like a half hour or an hour.  It looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, because it's near Duette, which at one point had the oldest or smallest school in the state with like 5 kids lol.  Seems like a resort like that in that area would stick out like a sore thumb.