official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

I'd say penalties in football are less of a coinflip given they are usually worth 0.75-0.8 xG in regular domestic league games, though always a cruel way to end a game given someone has to miss eventually

Kind of hated that France got that first penalty on a clear dive. I played a lot of soccer in my life and just can't stand the diving and faking. It's completely ruining the sport.

If someone slightly touch you on the chest with their arms / hands.... there's no physical logic where both your legs would just give in and you collapse screaming. No.

De Paul was especially bad for Argentina when it came to faking.

But overall i really wanted Messi to win and even more Messi to get the game winning goal. He had it for a few minutes lol

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Kind of hated that France got that first penalty on a clear dive. I played a lot of soccer in my life and just can't stand the diving and faking. It's completely ruining the sport.

If someone slightly touch you on the chest with their arms / hands.... there's no physical logic where both your legs would just give in and you collapse screaming. No.

In trying to recover, Dembele clipped Di Maria's leg ever so slightly which caused him to kick his own calf and trip. Minimal contact but a foul nonetheless.

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

De Paul was especially bad for Argentina when it came to faking.

If you watch UCL games, the "dark arts" (aka conning the ref or timewasting) are a common theme for the Spanish teams + South American players in particular
The irony comes when, in the same game, they'll square up to opponents and act the tough guy. Not the sharpest tools in the box you could say.

Edited by DM23
Typo

7 hours ago, DM23 said:

In trying to recover, Dembele clipped Di Maria's leg ever so slightly which caused him to kick his own calf and trip. Minimal contact but a foul nonetheless.

If you watch UCL games, the "dark arts" (aka conning the ref or timewasting) are a common theme for the Spanish teams + South American players in particular
The irony comes when, in the same game, they'll square up to opponents and act the tough guy. Not the sharpest tools in the box you could say.

Yeah the first penalty for Argentina was also arguable but De Maria legit tripped from a contact made with his foot. It was minimal but at least there was contact so i can let that one slide a bit.

But the one France got is the one i have a problem with. Player knew he was not going get a shot and just let himself crash when he was... touch on the upper body lol. Made no sense.

And if you fall well thats gonna happen but De Paul would fall and act like a car ran over his leg. 30 seconds later he'd be up and totally fine lol like come on lol

Like a decade ago i was running my men's team in the league around here. I was Captain/Midfield and coaching at the same time and if one of my player would dive and pull that kind of stunt i'd sub and bench them automatically. No matter who they were. You could say that could be detrimental to our chances since all the other teams does it but we actually won the championship so, fvck those divers.

Edited by SterioDesign

so my wife and I both got covid. they say this variant is usually weaker, but this will be the 2nd time she’s gotten it and the 3rd (somehow) I’ve gotten it and we’ve never had covid like this. I’ve never been sick like this, to be honest. we’re both triple vaccinated but drew the unlucky straw. i haven’t had whole-body chills like this ever before in my life. my skin feels like it’s actively trying to peel off of my bones. i’ve had a fever near 104 for 2 days in a row now, not breaking from tylenol. 

we already had to cancel christmas with her family down south but even more upsetting is that we had to give up our tickets behind the devils bench for this upcoming game in sunrise. bummer. 

• Angry 1

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

so my wife and I both got covid. they say this variant is usually weaker, but this will be the 2nd time she’s gotten it and the 3rd (somehow) I’ve gotten it and we’ve never had covid like this. I’ve never been sick like this, to be honest. we’re both triple vaccinated but drew the unlucky straw. i haven’t had whole-body chills like this ever before in my life. my skin feels like it’s actively trying to peel off of my bones. i’ve had a fever near 104 for 2 days in a row now, not breaking from tylenol. 

we already had to cancel christmas with her family down south but even more upsetting is that we had to give up our tickets behind the devils bench for this upcoming game in sunrise. bummer. 

That sucks, sorry to hear that. How are you managing with the baby??

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that. How are you managing with the baby??

my in-laws are god sends and they drove up to grab him for the week while we recover. he had no symptoms so we got him out of the cesspool as quick as possible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Sorry MB. Hope you guys feel better soon.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:27 PM, Nicomo said:

Watched Clerks 3 tonight and 

Reveal hidden contents

Now I’m super sad. I didn’t think it would hit me in the feels quite this much. 

Kevin really leaned into “life is just a series of down endings.” :(

This post was a reminder that I had not yet watched it. My wife and daughter went out so I watched it today. Lots of good callbacks to the original. 

Spoiler

If you want to get hit in the feels, be 46 years old and have a recently diagnosed medical condition, and allow a stupid movie to make you think about your own mortality lol. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

That team woulda been a machine had Bombay not gotten kneed

That's why when some people claim that players like Shane Wright or wtv had their development impacted by covid, not playing for like a year... 

im like... bitch... Gordon Bombay missed a penalty shot as a 12 years old and stopped playing hockey until he was 29. Then went to a minor league tryout... got a pro contract and was going to get an NHL call-up at any moment.

So give me a break that missing one year for a 17 years old can really have an impact

• Haha 2